A Spirited Perfect Ten

71jason

Posted in another thread, but I'll even say I was there about 3-7 yesterday, and the Magic Kingdom was better than most summer days. Very manageable, and my wife and I were completely surprised by it.

Around 6:30 pm last night, moderate traffic with no slow-downs from Champions Gate to downtown (Orlando, not Disney). That's rare any weekend. Unheard of during a holiday weekend, let alone one of the the traditional top 5 theme park days in a year.

71jason

If there were no closings, there should have been. I was at MK last night and had the extremely surreal experience of watching the much anticipated fireworks from a parking lot behind Main St. With views only to be found behind your average strip mall, we had the choice of seeing the top of the castle over a construction wall, that, I am guessing was hastily thrown up to block the porta potties that still managed to peek over top if it, but with really no way to hear the audio or standing where you could hear the audio and see nothing but backlot. The audio seemed boom box quality at best. We were repeatedly assured we missed nothing by not being on Main St.

We knew the crowds would be insane but spent the day enjoying FP and some moderate standby lines. We would have been on Main St by 6:30 but a rainstorm with some lightning drove us in to Cosmic Rays. We're traveling with a family that has a little guy. By 7 the bridges to Main St were closed and we were being herded to the back lot with all the Magic of a traffic cop signaling cars around an accident.

I have been at MK when the park was closed because if capacity crowds and this was worse by far.

This has been standard operating procedure on July 4 for at least 3 years now. I agree it's not ideal, but it seems the only workable alternative.

The problem with measuring capacity at 7 pm on Fourth of July should be obvious--very few people are queuing and riding rides, the vast majority want to be in a tiny strip of land in front of the castle. In truth, the number of guests in the park was probably not unusually high.

PhotoDave219

Around 6:30 pm last night, moderate traffic with no slow-downs from Champions Gate to downtown (Orlando, not Disney). That's rare any weekend. Unheard of during a holiday weekend, let alone one of the the traditional top 5 theme park days in a year.

Funny you should mention this...

One of my bothan spies checked in. MK missed projections on Friday and Saturday.

For context, I'm down the shore in Jersey this weekend and it seems really slow for July, let alone a holiday.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
We typically go twice a week, and have stopped using the Magic Bands after the first visit; didn't work very well, and were uncomfortable on the wrist. Now we use the AP cards, and mine will generally work 50% of the time.
Is it your fingerprint that doesn't work or the card/band?

My son and I have not had a problem in dozens of gate entries while my wife does because her fingers swell and she puts too much pressure on the reader same as she does on her iPhone.

lazyboy97o

Honest question: if MK can't fill parking lots this weekend but still goes to an alleged Phase 1 close, why tear down the Richard Petty track to make more parking lots? It seems Dec. 26-28 and Dec. 31 are the only time they could possibly be used. What is the reasoning here?
New parking areas doesn't necessarily have to be all about adding park guest parking capacity. The Polynesian definitely seems like it could use some additional capacity that could easily be stolen from the existing Transportation and Ticket Center capacity.

truecoat

You must be confusing me with someone else. Only those with agendas or preconceived notions torture numbers. I can't recall having ever been accused of having an agenda, although I can think of a few on these threads who's been accused of exactly that. ;)

I never torture numbers. I study them and then draw my conclusions only after I've contemplated what they mean.

WDW is more crowded than ever. It will be worse 10 years from now. Adding two popular IPs to a theme park that already draws 10 million annually is not going to reduce crowds.

Seriously, you want to argue Disney's numbers with me? :p

:D

I see another ignore coming...

gmajew

Premium Member
Funny you should mention this...

One of my bothan spies checked in. MK missed projections on Friday and Saturday.

For context, I'm down the shore in Jersey this weekend and it seems really slow for July, let alone a holiday.

Travel was down across country. Being said it had a lot to do with it being a three day weekend then a four as last year was for many business.

ThemeParkJunkee

I see another ignore coming...

You may be my first...

No, really, when the financials and 10K reports from DIS come out, I look to @ParentsOf4 to do his analyses (mostly because I get tired of having a stack of annual reports around getting no attention from me). He does his homework, comes up with interesting comparisons and his use of percentages, depreciation, and other considerations. By combining his work with that of @PhotoDave219 I have gleaned many interesting relationships. From now on, I will also keep my information from my stocks which include both Comcast and Disney and contribute appropriately.

truecoat

You may be my first...

No, really, when the financials and 10K reports from DIS come out, I look to @ParentsOf4 to do his analyses (mostly because I get tired of having a stack of annual reports around getting no attention from me). He does his homework, comes up with interesting comparisons and his use of percentages, depreciation, and other considerations. By combining his work with that of @PhotoDave219 I have gleaned many interesting relationships. From now on, I will also keep my information from my stocks which include both Comcast and Disney and contribute appropriately.

It was a joke.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
If there were no closings, there should have been. I was at MK last night and had the extremely surreal experience of watching the much anticipated fireworks from a parking lot behind Main St. With views only to be found behind your average strip mall, we had the choice of seeing the top of the castle over a construction wall, that, I am guessing was hastily thrown up to block the porta potties that still managed to peek over top if it, but with really no way to hear the audio or standing where you could hear the audio and see nothing but backlot. The audio seemed boom box quality at best. We were repeatedly assured we missed nothing by not being on Main St.

We knew the crowds would be insane but spent the day enjoying FP and some moderate standby lines. We would have been on Main St by 6:30 but a rainstorm with some lightning drove us in to Cosmic Rays. We're traveling with a family that has a little guy. By 7 the bridges to Main St were closed and we were being herded to the back lot with all the Magic of a traffic cop signaling cars around an accident.

I have been at MK when the park was closed because if capacity crowds and this was worse by far.

On any day like July 4th, NYE officials Christmas, expect the hub area to be overwhelmed even with the expansion. It is the direct result of so many guests wanting to view the special display in the best viewing location possible.

For future reference you could have continued to the Main St. re-entry and worked your way back to the hub.

BrerJon

The Animation Research Library and D23 have announced legendary Disney Imagineer Blaine Gibson has died.
Developing
https://facebook.com/DisneylandAlumni/posts/10153426464562726

Terribly sad news, such a talented guy. I was just watching him on 'Walt and El Grupo' yesterday. It boggles the mind how talented that generation was, and how they all came together with such little money or experience and produced miracles.

Whether or not the next President of the USA is the first woman, one 'first' they certainly will now be able to claim is that of the first President whose animatronic will not have been sculpted (or in Obama's case supervised) by Blaine Gibson. :(

HMF

Terribly sad news, such a talented guy. I was just watching him on 'Walt and El Grupo' yesterday. It boggles the mind how talented that generation was, and how they all came together with such little money or experience and produced miracles.

Whether or not the next President of the USA is the first woman, one 'first' they certainly will now be able to claim is that of the first President whose animatronic will not have been sculpted (or in Obama's case supervised) by Blaine Gibson. :(
I am curious as to who will be doing the sculpting for the next President considering they canned Valerie Edwards.

the.dreamfinder

Too bad WDI fired his protégé Valerie Edwards.

BrerJon

I am curious as to who will be doing the sculpting for the next President considering they canned Valerie Edwards.

I didn't know this. But sadly I'm not surprised. :facepalm:

Maybe they no longer need them as they're planning on following the suggestion from The Simpsons and turning it into 'The Hall of Ex-Presidents and CEOs', with people busy at work on robots of Iger, Eisner and Walker as we speak.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom