A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
The worry I have is not her current position, it's the possibility that Wall Street may promote her to CEO in the future if they like her enough. We know from WDW1974 that Iger had intended former CFO Jay Rasulo to be his successor at one point, he was grooming him for the job and apparently giving him positive feedback for the BoD. So it's not exactly impossible (or even unlikely) that a CFO could be given a position of greater power.

Don't read anything more into this move than the obvious. This isn't something that requires deep thinking!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh great.... They're getting the Strategic Planning Group back together and bringing back all of Peter Murphy's disciples.

Cant wait for them to start gutting the budgets that were just passed....

/sarcasmfont

It's not going to happen. (oh, and the Strat Planners never left! Bob Iger loves them even more than Michael Eisner did!) But the budgets are safe. Worry about other things as there are plenty ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I still don't believe Staggs is the true heir apparent...

I don't believe he believes it.

The BoD wasn't giddy when Iger decided to stay until 2018 just because they love The Weatherman's dynamic personality and visionary leadership. They had no faith that Jay or Tom could lead the company.

I'm not sure, in private, Tom really thinks he has what it takes. You may recall he was described by a member of Sumner Redstone's family as ''an oddly waifish man of anemic personality'' in a HuffPo Op-Ed on Disney's future (no, not the censored one, the one the author's lawyers had removed with all his prior works). Well, every story ever written on Staggs with Disney's consent has presented him as a health-food loving guy, but not one who is a workout maven. Yet, since that story appeared, the man has quite obviously bulked up his physical frame to the point that people who have seen him in person have wondered if he's on something like Androgel. No matter what, it seems like Tom is trying to 'man up' and answer his critics ... but I still don't buy that he has what it takes.

Oh, and the fact that both Eisner and Iger love the guy and want to see him lead Disney next should convince any/every fan that this is absolutely something that MUST NOT HAPPEN!

WDW1974

Original Poster
There's always the other at least.........

The budget for DHS has already been approved by the BoD, right? Any chance it's safe?

*waits patiently for '74 to arrive to tell us it's not true...*

It's safe. For the last time. Relax. ... This is simply more rearranging of deck chairs. It happens with regularity. There's more to come.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This is some comedy right here. You can measure Eisner's success in magic and Iger's in shareholder returns. Igor was better at making money while Eisner kept Walt's dream alive.

OK, who used to be here under a different name who often Igor instead of Iger? Just wondering because I believe pigs will fly out of my behind before I believe that someone just joins the site and enters this thread over a thousand pages in without some agenda.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Why didn't they care about the show when they were first put up and left for years on end? Did they care back then or didn't they? It seems like a very strong contradiction to me. Or perhaps when did they start caring and then stop again?

Goof. I don't have an effing clue what you are trying to say. I'm not even sure what we're supposed to be talking about here (and I don't have a pipe to smoke this evening!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm sorry, help me understand why that isn't one of the "details" that made Disney so special. You are alright with it going away because instead of demanding that mousekeeping do their job while maintaining the "magic" you are willing to give one up to get the other? Why? That seems to be, to me anyway, an area that Disney can completely control. No mechanical issues, no old equipment to break down, just supervised labor being told to do their job, which included, amongst other things, making towel animals. This is something that directly impacts the "Guests" to a degree much more significant then a few trees removed or an occasional paint chip or a trash can that needs emptying. Why isn't this important to be concerned about especially when it would be so easy to have both.

A housekeepers job is to clean and freshen a room. Not make towel animals because sometime around 2003 it became 'a thing' about WDW (much like character meet-and-greets or tooning every park up or homogenizing retail etc etc) when it never had been. There was a time when ''have a MAGICal day'' wasn't part of a CM's daily vocabulary (shocking, I know!)

I have no issues with towel animals. Good pal and former poster @CBOMB has a 'friend' Winky that he adopted from his last stay at the WL! ... I do have issues with rooms that are made to look clean (if that) instead of actually being clean. You focus on your most important role before adding unneeded crap (and that is what towel animals are).

englanddg

One Little Spark...
A housekeepers job is to clean and freshen a room. Not make towel animals because sometime around 2003 it became 'a thing' about WDW (much like character meet-and-greets or tooning every park up or homogenizing retail etc etc) when it never had been. There was a time when ''have a MAGICal day'' wasn't part of a CM's daily vocabulary (shocking, I know!)

I have no issues with towel animals. Good pal and former poster @CBOMB has a 'friend' Winky that he adopted from his last stay at the WL! ... I do have issues with rooms that are made to look clean (if that) instead of actually being clean. You focus on your most important role before adding unneeded crap (and that is what towel animals are).
How rude do you want me to be? I can explain exactly why this "doesn't work", and why thinking it doesn't work is stupid.

AEfx

What about the $1 billion for Disneyland Resort expansion is that safe or no? CA really needs it

Since Disney has already publicly announced that one, though they have put it on Anaheim continuing tax breaks, I'm pretty sure it will. Particularly since no one seems to think that the tax is going to happen since it has been going on for decades, and just will be maintaining the status quo.

matt9112

At the risk of being called a pixie dust snorter, I'll proudly admit that coming back to find towel animals or cute stuffed animal tableaus makes me happy.
No reason Housekeeping can't clean the room sufficiently AND invest 30 more seconds to spread the Magic.

I keep our room tidy, tip generously daily, and always come back to a cleaned, stocked room; as well as a little something extra to make me smile.

I have never tipped housekeeping :(

rucifee

Well, you cant beat facts with opinions anyway.

Fact, Eisner made a mistake near the end of his career that some people here just can't let go, and they now blame him for all of the bad and credit him with none of the good. Eisner did great things in the 80s and 90s, but let's not recognize those, Iger must have done all that. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Goofyernmost

Goof. I don't have an effing clue what you are trying to say. I'm not even sure what we're supposed to be talking about here (and I don't have a pipe to smoke this evening!)
Cute come back, however, we were talking about the Skyway. You mentioned that it was a show problem. I only connected that to the statements made previously that they always were concerned about the show "back in the day". But, apparently they weren't. They put up those gondolas up back when there was what you would have called Disney purity time. So, I again ask... did they care back then or didn't they? And if they did, why did they build something that would show backstage and roof tops if they were that obsessed with it. Get your pipe and slippers and see if you can answer that without your traditional sarcasm.

Well not exactly. What I do is NOT focus on minor little things unnoticed by most Guests. I do NOT focus on the importance of one's memories about trees when it does interfere with what is currently "the show". I do not focus on what my childhood memories are because I have lived long enough to know that those are probably the most distorted memories that we have in life.

What I am asking more is why are all those things fighting mad important to you, and something as personal as the towel animals are not. Is it more because they have no significance to you personally or is it because they really aren't important? Is it or is it not another very obvious cut back on the guest experience that otherwise you would be all upset about? It just seems to me that if anything is important (regardless of when it started) as those personal touches, then why are those other things important. Also, why, when it is so easy to fix, not a situation where we don't have to lose anything. The amount of time that it takes to do those things is so miniscule that how they clean the rooms will not be affected at all. Dirty rooms are a symptom of a bigger problem and that is with supervision and job description. I would think that you , of all people, would be on that like flies on those fake AK poop cups. This is a situation where the guest can and should be able to have both. Probably without costing Disney an extra nickel.

Of course, clean rooms are more important in this scenario, but it is a completely different issue then towel animals. In other words, one has nothing to do with the other. It is more of a, we don't want to hire anymore people to make sure both happen so screw the guests. They're just tourists anyway.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
So is it safe to infer that:
  1. The developers failed to insist on performance guarantees with the Chinese construction firms
  2. Chinese construction firms do not honor contractual obligations.

More like...
  • Guarantees have no teeth when you can't enforce them and have little leverage over your partners (note in the bankruptcy how much they own the construction firms.. money isn't enough leverage alone.. )
  • When your investors partners are 'in bed with' your construction partners you need to control -- you are marginalized a lot
  • When your partners are owned by a world superpower state known for corruption and 'me first' - you have little recourse and leverage against them
  • When your partners are a world superpower -- they do what they want and you are at their mercy

What you have here is the people in charge... being unable to really make the China portion budge... you may be Mr CEO... but you are still at the mercy of the China-lead contingent and what are you going to do... shakedown China??

It's a tale of be careful of who you invite into your bed... and who really holds all the cards.

Last edited:

gmajew

Premium Member
Hotel rooms are to be clean from corner to corner coming in to a dirty hotel room is grosser then anything.... Finding someone else hair on the sink or the bedding is just not pleasant. Then talk about the other things you now need to be worried about bed bugs etc.

To properly clean a room after a guest leaves i am guessing is a 20-30 min job. The daily cleaning should be 10 min.

Is disney spending that kind of time? no way!

rucifee

Hotel rooms are to be clean from corner to corner coming in to a dirty hotel room is grosser then anything.... Finding someone else hair on the sink or the bedding is just not pleasant. Then talk about the other things you now need to be worried about bed bugs etc.

To properly clean a room after a guest leaves i am guessing is a 20-30 min job. The daily cleaning should be 10 min.

Is disney spending that kind of time? no way!

You are absolutely right, we stayed on property recently and it was incredibly nasty, the toilet didn't stop running, the sink was broken, etc. I took lots of pictures.. Guest services was happy to refund that stay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom