A Spirited Perfect Ten

gmajew

What has your experience been with hiring seasoned individuals that have a work ethic but need some job specific training?

I hire seasonal employees all the time. My work force is usually 100-200 seasonal at any given point and all are trained the same as any other employee. If you don't train properly or the same as normal employees you will have a bad customer experience.

gmajew

I believe it might be the opposite. Yes, you have your portion of entitled snobs, but see Little House and Nelly Olsen, not a new thing. But you also have a group who saw EXACTLY how hard their parents worked (because they were never home) and saw EXACTLY how they were treated (layoffs, not "allowed" to use time off, lost pensions, lost heath care) and decided that there wasn't a correlation to how hard someone worked and how they were compensated and valued (they read the productivity charts vs salaries too), and determined that that would not be their life, and they might actually be better off than their parents at the end of it.

1955, when the world was perfect and everyone worked hard and did what they were expected to, and so many people wanted to work for Disney that they could pick the cream of the crop, Walt Disney still hired Van Arsdale France to create an extensive training program. People have to be taught how to do their job, and monitored. Same thing with the military, although their methods are certainly different, lol. Apprenticeships from days of old. You mold people into what you want, you don't expect them to be that way when they walk in the door and then whine about it when they don't do it the right way. But recently, that's what business has decided what should happen in their ideal little world where you don't have to pay for such things...but that's a form of entitlement too.

I never said you don't train them properly and train them to be what you want. The issue is most today just don't got it! They rather be at home playing video games etc.

Nubs70

Ain't nobody got time for that!
If I want to create a quality product, I need to make a capital expenditure* for quality equipment.

If I want a quality workforce, I need to make a capital expenditure* for quality workforce.

So if neither the equipment or workforce exist, why not make a capital expenditure* to create the equipment or workforce?

*** I could have used "investment" but that word is so misused it's meaning has become diluted.

Disneyhead'71

I hire seasonal employees all the time. My work force is usually 100-200 seasonal at any given point and all are trained the same as any other employee. If you don't train properly or the same as normal employees you will have a bad customer experience.
It always helps to not think of employees as Human Beings. They are a simply a liability on the books.

Disneyhead'71

I never said you don't train them properly and train them to be what you want. The issue is most today just don't got it! They rather be at home playing video games etc.
At no point in time were more than 8% of humans the amazing combo of competent and coherent. We have just institutionalized marginalization. Which you seem very good at.

I'm sure that makes the greedy decisions easier.

Nubs70

I think I may have missed phrased my question.

If millenials work ethic sucks, why not hire an unemployed Gen X or Y that needs a little company specific training.

gmajew

At no point in time were more than 8% of humans the amazing combo of competent and coherent. We have just institutionalized marginalization. Which you seem very good at.

I'm sure that makes the greedy decisions easier.

Yup I am all about the greed! That is why I have not lost a manager in the restaurant industry in over 5 years!

I know I can not be successful with out s good team and the team makes the company go! But it is way way harder to find that team today!

Have you ever experienced trying to hire on a mass scale? Not hiring one or two people but really on a mask scale? When you actually stop blaming business for all that is wrong you will see that the work force is just not that good anymore.

gmajew

If millenials work ethic sucks, why not hire an unemployed Gen X or Y that needs a little company specific training.

I would higher any generation if they have the passion to do the job... I take people never in the industry and make them superstars! If you have a passion and dedication and work ethic I would higher you in a second over retread person in the industry.

culturenthrills

Maybe they felt JP already had a big ride so they gave the space to Kong. They could always give JPRA a huge makeover. There is space for a new ride and we all know how Uni can take advantage of small space with Transformers being on two levels. If they really do a Gyrosphere ride I could see it not needing so much space cause it could either travel above like a PeopleMover like some have suggested or it would just be a simulator that stands still like a truly next generation version of Star Tours that completely surrounds you. Looking at the Gyrosphere this is the best possible way to make it work.

I think JPRA is due for a massive makeover. It is the weakest out of all of them. With Kong opening and adding capacity it will give them a chance to take a ride like this down for an extensive redo. I think you could do some type of gyro sphere or monorail/tram ride. If they wanted to go totally family friendly a people mover typer ride that goes above the walkways and can enter different paddocks in different sections of the island would give the park a high capacity family friendly ride that everyone can ride.

asianway

Being unemployed in this job market is a red flag-better to focus on those who have jobs.

Before you flame me there are no absolutes and everyone is different, but odds are if you don't have a job right now, there's a reason

Nubs70

Being unemployed in this job market is a red flag-better to focus on those who have jobs.

Before you flame me there are no absolutes and everyone is different, but odds are if you don't have a job right now, there's a reason
Thus the self induced HR paradox.

It is my premise that there are many unemployed individuals with years of "outside your box" life experience that would bring new life into existing companies if only for a modicum of onboarding.

Disneyhead'71

Yup I am all about the greed! That is why I have not lost a manager in the restaurant industry in over 5 years!

I know I can not be successful with out s good team and the team makes the company go! But it is way way harder to find that team today!

Have you ever experienced trying to hire on a mass scale? Not hiring one or two people but really on a mask scale? When you actually stop blaming business for all that is wrong you will see that the work force is just not that good anymore.
Maybe your compensation package isn't attractive enough to attract the team you want.

That is what the entire convo is about.

AEfx

Maybe your compensation package isn't attractive enough to attract the team you want.

That's largely what has happened.

When folks say, "If you don't like the wages at WDW, go get a job somewhere else".

Well, newsflash - they have! McDonalds pays as much if not more, you don't have to spend an hour or more each day making your way to and from your station after you've already reported for work, they don't have nearly the amount of requirements or specifications, nor the demanding clientele to anywhere near the same level (I paid $5K to be here, do what I want peon!).

That's why we have such a large percentage of folks who work at WDW being "CP" labor force, just marking time, that's why they can't attract and keep long-term employees who know the parks, much less care about them, etc.

You can't deliver a premium experience and retain the employees to do so when you pay them fast food wages and expect far, far more out of them.

This has been going on for 20 years, and the guest experience has visibly suffered because of it.

Disneyhead'71

Most likely the reason is profit maximization and corporate downsizing. But let's blame the little guy. CEOs are making out like bandits while carping on the employees heads at every turn.

Corporate America is in for a rude awakening. Occupy Whatever was just the beginning.

"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire."-Peter Gabriel.

gmajew

Wrong! I have guys that started as line cooks now making 150k managing with bonus. So again I look for special and most that we hire just don't got it. Thy expect it for just punching s clock! If people think that is all they need to do is punch a clock and deserve the moon they are wrong!

hopemax

At Disney, you would be SHOCKED by how little training actually happens. Your local business probably does more mentoring, in reality, and so can't even comprehend how little they do. Videos in a room at DU, doesn't cut it. My Dad has problems 90% of the time when he buys something with an employee discount. Many can't even recognize the maingate, and so don't even know where to begin. The only place it regularly does not happen is the shop in Japan. He's been told he doesn't get a discount, told he doesn't get one on that particular item, told that if they go get their manager they will get in trouble, and every other excuse under the sun. To use an employee discount. Where in the real world do you have trouble with one of those? So how well, do you think they know the other tasks of their job?

In my Mom's last job she had to pass a special class. You would think that would equal training. No, it was a class for how one of the computer software packages worked. And that didn't tell her a darn thing about everything that needed to get done. Her first day in new job, was a Sunday when there was no one else of her type available to even ask questions of. She wasn't even told where the office was to report to, just Epcot-France. She needed a radio, no one ever asked if she had one, or if she knew how to use it. Also, when you are new they move you around as "temps." So one week you're in Epcot, the next week All Star Sports, the next week Liberty Square, where each of them operate under a different set of procedures, and if you aren't in a park, you are on your own, no one to ask. Everyone said my Mom was a great employee, and that's why she was recommended to do that job, but she spent the first couple months in tears because she didn't want to do a bad job and there were no resources available to help her. She'd call others of her type and a lot of them admitted they didn't know either. Eventually, she got a more permanent (lasted months instead of a week), temporary spot, and the front line CMs she interacted with were fabulous, so she was able to really learn so when she got her permanent post she knew what to do. But when she got there, she found that nothing except the most base level of tasks had been performed in over a year. When my Mom passed away, a couple of her co-workers were so shook up because they knew that without my Mom, things were going to go back to the way things were before she came...chaos.

When Disney altered their training, they did it at a time where there were a lot more full-time, career employees who were able to provide adequate on-location training. Those days are long gone, and in a world where CPs and IPs turn over 6 months, a year, there are few that are truly capable of providing it. There is little "institutional knowledge" remaining.

culturenthrills

I find eating in the dark always ends up with half the food down my shirt, so I'm not a big fan of Fork and Screen! Plus I like to focus on a movie and anything more complex than shovelling Milk Duds or popcorn into my mouth distracts my concentration too much!

We have Cobb Cinebistro around here and they are very nice, good food but it isn't cheap. The nice thing with them is that you have to get there 30 minutes before showtime and you are served your food before the movie starts so there is no one running around once the movie starts

Disneyhead'71

Wrong! I have guys that started as line cooks now making 150k managing with bonus. So again I look for special and most that we hire just don't got it. Thy expect it for just punching s clock! If people think that is all they need to do is punch a clock and deserve the moon they are wrong!
This, I agree with. Everyone I know (very talented and dedicated folks) knocks themselves out just trying not to get fired.

This is not the life good employees deserve. I am professional news photographer/satellite truck operator. I have done it for 20 years, and have been in my position for 6 years. I don't feel (after 6 years) secure enough in my position to buy a house in the market. I feel I could be fired at any day regardless of my performance. At 51, that is not a great position to be in.

And I guarantee that no one in the market has more "skills" than I do. I am good at what I do. I take pride in my work. And I get yelled at daily.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom