A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

AEfx

There are so many commercials for other Disney products shoved into Disney movies and shows. It is a breach of the fourth wall. It hurts the eyes and senses.

Can you elaborate? I don't really see that much. I don't doubt it happens and I just don't see it or it's something I haven't actually watched.

The only thing that comes to mind is Once Upon a Time, but there (in spite of the lackluster Frozen storyline) I don't mind because frankly the viewership it added are why I can still enjoy the show (otherwise I think it would have been cancelled last year).

So I'm curious what kinds of things you are talking about that I am not exposed to.

Nick Pappagiorgio

Disney CEO Robert Iger working on leadership book
https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...3fb020-9484-11e6-9cae-2a3574e296a6_story.html

laughter.gif

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The Empress Lilly

Can you elaborate? I don't really see that much. I don't doubt it happens and I just don't see it or it's something I haven't actually watched.

The only thing that comes to mind is Once Upon a Time, but there (in spite of the lackluster Frozen storyline) I don't mind because frankly the viewership it added are why I can still enjoy the show (otherwise I think it would have been cancelled last year).

So I'm curious what kinds of things you are talking about that I am not exposed to.
I seem to remember you are a Muppets fan. They starred in The Disney Product Placement Video (marketed to a general audience as Muppets 2011). That had some of the most shameless cross-promotion going on with the midway Cars 2 commercial. Apart from all the other overt product placement that makes so many Disney movies a tv commercial with better writing. (Muppets 2011: Red Bull, The Economist, Subway, and everything else they managed to cram in between the Eisner-eraesque celeb cameos)

One Disney acquisition (Muppets), promoting an another (Pixar). It feels like that Duffy Bear with R2-D2 hat that has Mickey Ears. Yes, sold in the parks.

There is also more subtle stuff. Disney movies are now more openly set in the parks universe. Just like the parks are now being converted into movie universes. It was fun when the pirates in Pirates I mimicked the three jailed convicts trying to lure that doge with key. Now it is everywhere.

Animation too. TPatF set itself quite deliberately in a New Orleans environment that reflected DL. Some scenes echoed a DL commercial, with the RoA and the steamboat. Tangled's lantern imagery deliberately evokes a fireworks show over a castle. And vice versa - the castle projection shows in DLP and MK project it in turn.

It may not be all bad. A certain unity of imagery between different media, and with the parks, is part of what makes Disney fun. Walt mastered it already. But it works better when the balance tilts to being more artistically driven, rather than bearing a constant suspicion that the commercial dictates and overwhelms the artististry.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Animation too. TPatF set itself quite deliberately in a New Orleans environment that reflected DL. Some scenes echoed a DL commercial, with the RoA and the steamboat. Tangled's lantern imagery deliberately evokes a fireworks show over a castle. And vice versa - the castle projection shows in DLP and MK project it in turn.....

You really think these were conscious creative decisions intended to create aesthetic synergy, or are we just at a point where Disney has trod on so much cultural and artistic ground that aesthetic overlap is increasingly inevitable? I mean, are these references addressed in the movies' DVD commentary or something?

Rodan75

I seem to remember you are a Muppets fan. They starred in The Disney Product Placement Video (marketed to a general audience as Muppets 2011). That had some of the most shameless cross-promotion going on with the midway Cars 2 commercial. Apart from all the other overt product placement that makes so many Disney movies a tv commercial with better writing. (Muppets 2011: Red Bull, The Economist, Subway, and everything else they managed to cram in between the Eisner-eraesque celeb cameos)

One Disney acquisition (Muppets), promoting an another (Pixar). It feels like that Duffy Bear with R2-D2 hat that has Mickey Ears. Yes, sold in the parks.

There is also more subtle stuff. Disney movies are now more openly set in the parks universe. Just like the parks are now being converted into movie universes. It was fun when the pirates in Pirates I mimicked the three jailed convicts trying to lure that doge with key. Now it is everywhere.

Animation too. TPatF set itself quite deliberately in a New Orleans environment that reflected DL. Some scenes echoed a DL commercial, with the RoA and the steamboat. Tangled's lantern imagery deliberately evokes a fireworks show over a castle. And vice versa - the castle projection shows in DLP and MK project it in turn.

It may not be all bad. A certain unity of imagery between different media, and with the parks, is part of what makes Disney fun. Walt mastered it already. But it works better when the balance tilts to being more artistically driven, rather than bearing a constant suspicion that the commercial dictates and overwhelms the artististry.

I normally agree with your points, but I think you are reaching on much of this. Unfortunately Disney hasn't been able to show themselves nearly as adept at cross promotion as you are stating above. Specifically with the Animation and Parks points.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It will be a one paragraph book, "Fire everyone who knows anything about the business and replace them with yes men who will not question your decisions and use all available free cash flow for stock repurchases to drive up your stock price"

"From former Disney CEO Robert Iger comes the best-selling index card - 'Leadership My Way'!!! Learn his secrets of taking The Walt Disney Company stock to new heights, from his out-with-the-old, in-with-the-new leadership style, to his laser-like focus on the bottom line and squeezing every penny out of Disney's customers while cutting costs anywhere and everywhere possible! Wait, we just gave away the whole thing..."

Rodan75

DHS could use new parades twice a year or so to promote the latest WDAS and Pixar films.

Agreed. I'm to the point where I think Disney has lost some synergy magic. (there is such a thing as good synergy, especially in the Parks) Random thought - they could have a screen based LPS ride that changes once or twice a year based on the current animated movie and dumps you out into a gift shop with merchandise for that movie. It could be a moving movie preview.

However, when the local news is doing a 'Secret Life of Pets' embedded promotion as a news story, or when The Today Show sends out a tweet asking for your favorite character in 'This is Us', I get a bit frustrated.

GiveMeTheMusic

Agreed. I'm to the point where I think Disney has lost some synergy magic. (there is such a thing as good synergy, especially in the Parks) Random thought - they could have a screen based LPS ride that changes once or twice a year based on the current animated movie and dumps you out into a gift shop with merchandise for that movie. It could be a moving movie preview.

However, when the local news is doing a 'Secret Life of Pets' embedded promotion as a news story, or when The Today Show sends out a tweet asking for your favorite character in 'This is Us', I get a bit frustrated.

It's hard to have synergy magic when no one at Disney believes in their own product unless it's Star Wars, or to a lesser extent, Pixar.

The Disney Store created hundreds of merch items for Monsters University in summer 2013, and the majority of it was on clearance quickly. Frozen arrived with what was comparably a handful of merch items that fall, and Disney got caught with their pants down.

Sure, a Moana parade at DL and DHS would have been a smart move, but parades cost money. And some idiot in business casual in a Florida boardroom will pipe up and say, but what if Moana isn't a big hit?

They'd rather be reactionary than get in front of their own work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom