A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Stevek

This might be the first time in all forum history that I couldn't agree with you more. The world is big old place out there, outside of that Disney bubble. My heart goes out to all those who do not have billion dollar governments to help them rebuild.

I got blocked by W D W N T so I guess a millennial girl hating on clickbait while innocent people lose their lives was just too much to be handled.
7E148B30-66E2-453A-B2DC-BA62AD72D4BE_zpsnvegzmlo.png

Thinking of all those affected, the animals, the humans. May we show compassion to all.

I got blocked by him last week as well for calling him out for putting his watermark on Disney artwork. You post unauthorized Disney owned artwork and put your watermark on it so others won't steal that from you. Seems legit. What an a$$

Stevek

W D W N T isn't posting anything during this hurricane! If anything, they are in this group of innocent people trying not to die. And if your talking about their Hollywood Studious post, that video was made on Friday when Disney was supposedly revealing the Star Wars and Toy Story models.
Look, I'm not completely defending W D W N T , and I don't hate anyone who doesn't. Just know that things aren't always as they appear. And I will agree with you on this, I hope everyone in Irma right now is safe and dry (and not purposely in a Disney hotel)!
They absolutely did. One of their live videos on FB was titled "Walk around the Epcot Resort Area during Hurricane Irma, Walt Disney World"

Tom didn't book a hotel onsite because he was "trying not to die" unless he lives in a shack that could have been destroyed by the hurricane...which is entirely possible.

AEfx

Eh...I think people have some valid points about the pixie-sucker whores capitalizing on it, or people literally going in harms way to just be there - but I also think folks are being a bit too critical in generalities being made. If I were in Florida, it's where I would have most likely gone.

In fact, I told someone I know to head there because they couldn't leave earlier and it was either that or stay put (they were driving up and down trying rescuing large animals to safe(r) places and when they got done, it was really the only option for them once they all had been moved) and it was the most logical place to go. Basically, every other state that touches FL is flooded with people right now - I have a friend in Georgia who works at a Wal-mart and they have been run dry, and just about every hotel/motel within 100's of miles of FL is booked to hell).

It's the safest place in FL, both in location and infrastructure.

That said, if I had - the only burden or CM assistance I would have needed would be to check me in (and can't you even do that on a phone or something now?). I would have brought my own food and just used a room to shelter in. I wouldn't be calling the front desk or complaining about an ice machine not working or asking for more pillows or expecting them to open anything.

And when the parks were open, I probably would have gone to walk around. I certainly wouldn't be the last person out, but I probably would have walked around for a few hours. The parks were open - no one there was going home any earlier or later than the hours Disney decided in advance. I also would have thanked/given appreciation to every single CM I saw for what they were doing - there is something to be said for morale.

It's also worthy to note that we have had CM's posting saying that they were "happy" to be there - for the very reasons I said above - it is the safest place around, and for a lot of the CM's (who largely live in apartments) there was nothing else they could do by being home in the dark. I also believe that Disney is relying on those people voluntarily - they are not requiring people with families to protect, etc. to be on site. And again, they are going to be there anyway.

So yes, there are always jerks and pixie suckers are going to always be pixie suckers, no matter the situation - but I think we should be reserving the severe condemnation for the people that are intentionally staying to rob homes people have abandoned, or the absolute human scum who are putting on uniforms and posing as utility workers so those who haven't left let them into their homes and are holding people at frigging gun point to rob them in this disaster.

Touchdown

I guess I fall in the middle,

I would never purposely go to FL during a hurricane, also I would like to think I would have canceled if I had a trip last week or this one. However my trip starts the 19th and all the news out of FL seems to suggest I'll be able to go on that trip. If something changes, I may change my mind. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the devastation that just happened, I do, but if an area is back up enough for me to go then I'll go. That way I still get to have fun, and FL gets my taxes.

I was there for Matthew last year, at Universal I arrived when the track was still suggesting a SC landfall, when that track changed i ended my Universal trip early and went to Tampa. The day Matthew arrived, my brother and I enjoyed Universal through mid afternoon, and left when traffic on I4 started to pick up. The following day we went to BGT and Howl-O-Scream. If a park is open, and you feel it is wrong it blame management, not the guests what else are we supposed to do? Also if you volunteered at the promise of higher pay to come in and work, some of that responsibility falls to you.

That said, it is completely wrong to linger in a park that closed early for a storm after closing.

jakeman

W D W N T isn't posting anything during this hurricane! If anything, they are in this group of innocent people trying not to die.
That is factually not correct.

A quick perusal of their twitter timeline shows various authored posted during Irma.

As always with these threads though, the rhetoric used to denounce literally tens of people is way out of proportion to their alleged transgressions. @AEfx said it better than I could:
So yes, there are always jerks and pixie suckers are going to always be pixie suckers, no matter the situation - but I think we should be reserving the severe condemnation for the people that are intentionally staying to rob homes people have abandoned, or the absolute human scum who are putting on uniforms and posing as utility workers so those who haven't left let them into their homes and are holding people at frigging gun point to rob them in this disaster.
It makes me wonder openly if people just don't understand what the words they are using actually mean, or if they've just had such a narrow life experience that some blogger taking up a room at a Disney resort is really and truly the worst thing that has ever happened to them in a hurricane?

AEfx

@AEfx said it better than I could:
It makes me wonder openly if people just don't understand what the words they are using actually mean, or if they've just had such a narrow life experience that some blogger taking up a room at a Disney resort is really and truly the worst thing that has ever happened to them in a hurricane?

I get where they are coming from - you have to remember a lot of folks at this site have either been employed by or have family/close friends who work at WDW. And I also think some bloggers/etc. (from what I hear, I don't read or pay attention to any of them) are exploiting this a bit, just like the major news media is. But I completely agree some are way over the top and there are way more pressing concerns at the moment.

Kman101

First, unless something drastic happened literally in the last few weeks, Nintendo absolutely is NOT going into UNI's third park. Maybe in some form it will wind up there, but that park is a lot further down the pike than many think. Nintendo is happening very soon.

It is going into UNI Studios.

Now ... moving on ...

As it should. Uni Studios will benefit immensely from it. They more or less NEED it to take over Kidzone, which BADLY needs to get leveled ASAP.

Since I'm likely now going to be out of power for quite a while, I've decided to make my final post till then to reiterate what I said in the Irma thread earlier in the week. The same thing happened to me when I worked at Universal during Charley. What was supposed to be a partial shift so we could prep my unit for the storm ended up being a full shift because morons actually showed up to have fun for the day and expected to be fed our full menu. When we finally closed and got the unit secured, I was making a quick exit through the park yet there was a family literally running to get on Spiderman before the park closed.

Here I was desperately trying to get home to my pregnant wife yet here was a family desperately trying to indulge themselves as if their entertainment was the most important thing. To this day, I think of that family (and everyone that came into the park that day) with the utmost contempt.

So Universal decides to keep the park open. Universal sells tickets to customers. Customers use their hard earned money to enjoy the tickets to the fullest extent possible. And you're mad at customers because you have to work?

jakeman

I get where they are coming from - you have to remember a lot of folks at this site have either been employed by or have family/close friends who work at WDW. And I also think some bloggers/etc. (from what I hear, I don't read or pay attention to any of them) are exploiting this a bit, just like the major news media is. But I completely agree some are way over the top and there are way more pressing concerns at the moment.
Oh sure. It's in no way a justification of a blogger's behavior to say, "hey...maybe 'low life scum' is a little strong". ;)

There's no reason for a blogger to book a room at a Disney resort so they can "report" on what is going on for their dozens of followers if that is their primary reason for doing so. With that said, leveling the same rhetoric that usually reserved for folks that are actually committing crimes seems excessive.

Last edited:

prfctlyximprct

W D W N T isn't posting anything during this hurricane! If anything, they are in this group of innocent people trying not to die. And if your talking about their Hollywood Studious post, that video was made on Friday when Disney was supposedly revealing the Star Wars and Toy Story models.
Look, I'm not completely defending W D W N T , and I don't hate anyone who doesn't. Just know that things aren't always as they appear. And I will agree with you on this, I hope everyone in Irma right now is safe and dry (and not purposely in a Disney hotel)!
I advise you to check their Twitter. Oh well that I'm blocked! They steal everything from here anyway! :p

prfctlyximprct

I'm curious, what did you tweet to get blocked?
They said to follow along on twitter for the latest wdw hurricane updates because they checked in to a resort... someone else commented it was inconsiderate tweeting these clickbait tweets given people were losing their lives and homes and they stated it wasn't a big deal because they live five minutes away. In one of my not so fine moments I told them I hope they lose power. Whoops!

Hatbox Ghostbuster

They said to follow along on twitter for the latest wdw hurricane updates because they checked in to a resort... someone else commented it was inconsiderate tweeting these clickbait tweets given people were losing their lives and homes and they stated it wasn't a big deal because they live five minutes away. In one of my not so fine moments I told them I hope they lose power. Whoops!
lol. They seem like an overly sensitive bunch!

disney1023

I got blocked by him last week as well for calling him out for putting his watermark on Disney artwork. You post unauthorized Disney owned artwork and put your watermark on it so others won't steal that from you. Seems legit. What an a$$
I hate to be defending other Disney News Websites, but the watermark thing is completely legit! Remember the Disney's Hollywood Studios rename, well that didn't come from Twitter. Actually, a YouTube Disney News channel named Mickey Views got an Email from a fan who received that survey. MV decided that it wasn't necessary to put a huge watermark on the pictures, instead, he placed his website in the corner. He posted the video the night he got them, and the next morning, he found that people on twitter stole his photos and cropped out the watermark with absolutely no credit to him. They stole the photos. Here's the original video and the video where he explains what happened:
OG:

Explanation (1:04 - 5:50):

Hence why you need a watermark. Now about the other...
They absolutely did. One of their live videos on FB was titled "Walk around the Epcot Resort Area during Hurricane Irma, Walt Disney World"

Tom didn't book a hotel onsite because he was "trying not to die" unless he lives in a shack that could have been destroyed by the hurricane...which is entirely possible.
First, remember that I hate defending other Disney News Sites, but this? That video was titled "Epcot Prepares for Hurricane Irma, Walt Disney World Resort" and not that garbage you said. P.S., that was posted on Friday, the day before the hurricane.

And one more thing, Tom isn't the one who moderates the twitter or website comments, he has employees (the W.D.W.N.T. network was huge once). And if you lived in Florida, which you mite, if you had to choose between going to a WDW hotel or bunkering down your house in preparation for a level 4 hurricane, which would you choose? And let me ask you this, why say anything bad at all about Tom and his site? I mean, I would like to see you try to do it!

Sorry to everyone reading this post, but I needed to say something, and you can stop reading here if you want. I know, "don't feed the trolls," but I realize that most people here really hate Tom and give him all this unnecessary crap that isn't needed, and I've been keeping silent for a long time about this. There is a program he dose called WDW News Tonight, and in one episode, he states how he really does respect WDW Magic and the forms they've managed to keep running for years now. Most rumors are stolen form here because the only other forums are on the Dis, and I think we know how those posters can be like.
Long story short, I'm sure WDW Magic will flag me and I'll get a lot of heat, but this needed to be said. Haters going to hate, but I will say this now, WDW News Today is another great Disney news source, and we need to stop hating on news about a Disney theme park.

I am sorry, and I hate doing this.

prfctlyximprct

I hate to be defending other Disney News Websites, but the watermark thing is completely legit! Remember the Disney's Hollywood Studios rename, well that didn't come from Twitter. Actually, a YouTube Disney News channel named Mickey Views got an Email from a fan who received that survey. MV decided that it wasn't necessary to put a huge watermark on the pictures, instead, he placed his website in the corner. He posted the video the night he got them, and the next morning, he found that people on twitter stole his photos and cropped out the watermark with absolutely no credit to him. They stole the photos. Here's the original video and the video where he explains what happened:
OG:

Explanation (1:04 - 5:50):

Hence why you need a watermark. Now about the other...

First, remember that I hate defending other Disney News Sites, but this? That video was titled "Epcot Prepares for Hurricane Irma, Walt Disney World Resort" and not that garbage you said. P.S., that was posted on Friday, the day before the hurricane.

And one more thing, Tom isn't the one who moderates the twitter or website comments, he has employees (the W.D.W.N.T. network was huge once). And if you lived in Florida, which you mite, if you had to choose between going to a WDW hotel or bunkering down your house in preparation for a level 4 hurricane, which would you choose? And let me ask you this, why say anything bad at all about Tom and his site? I mean, I would like to see you try to do it!

Sorry to everyone reading this post, but I needed to say something, and you can stop reading here if you want. I know, "don't feed the trolls," but I realize that most people here really hate Tom and give him all this unnecessary crap that isn't needed, and I've been keeping silent for a long time about this. There is a program he dose called WDW News Tonight, and in one episode, he states how he really does respect WDW Magic and the forms they've managed to keep running for years now. Most rumors are stolen form here because the only other forums are on the Dis, and I think we know how those posters can be like.
Long story short, I'm sure WDW Magic will flag me and I'll get a lot of heat, but this needed to be said. Haters going to hate, but I will say this now, WDW News Today is another great Disney news source, and we need to stop hating on news about a Disney theme park.

I am sorry, and I hate doing this.

Are you his lawyer?

Stevek

I hate to be defending other Disney News Websites, but the watermark thing is completely legit!
And one more thing, Tom isn't the one who moderates the twitter or website comments, he has employees (the W.D.W.N.T. network was huge once).

There are cases where it is absolutely legit. The issue I pointed out was around Tom putting his watermark on Disney owned artwork aka, Disney creative property, not something that was a screenshot from a survey sent out to many people.

As for me getting blocked, Tom specifically addressed my blocking via is personal feed. He did it.

I have been a very loyal listener to his podcast...I'm a Disneylander so I'm not local and think they often have good information to share and that can outweigh his childish antics and ego at times. Unfortunately, he, like many people obsessed with Disney (or anything for that matter) have a hard time acting like adults at times.

At the end of the day, it has very little impact on my life as my own Disney interests are a very small focus of my life whereas for someone like him, it's his entire life. For me, it's an escape from the daily grind. But this is a Disney site and it's natural that he and others will be called out for their behavior toward other fans...or their strange behavior in general as it pertains to Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom