A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

fgmnt

Buzz was a bad attraction since 1998. If we can live without GMR, I wont lose sleep over some cheap plywood flats.

Buzz is just the latest iteration of the three attractions in Tomorrowland that have never clicked. No one is really busting down the doors to bring back Dreamflight, Timekeeper, or ETAE (even though I prefer the latter two the their replacements). But I assume we are stuck with these three indefinitely, given D23 laid out a plan up to 2021.

Hope to get more spirit in here soon before the thread really goes off the rails.

SoManyWasps

Welcome to the club.
This would arguably be one of the less invasive IP integrations possible. It's not bulldozing a beloved or even a particular good ride (my infatuation with it notwithstanding), it can fit in with the retrofuturism of TL, and it can improve on a ride formula that doesn't currently yield the sum of its parts.

tirian

Will get to this in the Tokyo part of the tale ... but absolutely love it and you must be channeling me as I bought the CD and was playing it in the car a few hours ago! BTW, parade will be going away in 2018. If it were the MK, it would play for ... how many years did the the snowglobe parade go on?
Three presidencies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just wanted to thank all who are taking part and staying on topic. Despite what some feel, on topic isn't anything even remotely attached to Disney. And nothing is more wasteful than posts that bemoan how difficult it is to stay on topic. It's very simple, just don't say anything if you have nothing to add of substance on what is being discussed (and not tangents or a throw in comment).

Last edited by a moderator:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Before I move on to some of the not nice and weird aspects of SDL, I neglected another positive that deserves mention, namely merchandise.

The SDL lineup is really quite varied and isn't as cutesy as HKDL and certainly not TDR. Despite what I read, there was plenty of attraction and land specific items. Some more than others. For instance, I didn't see one item themed to Voyage to the Crystal Grotto. But Adventure Isle, Pirate Cove, Pirates, RR, Soaring, Tron, Buzz Lightyear all had plenty of stuff, some quite nice.

And they were just moving in a summer seasonal line when we got there that included everything from plush and pins to placemats and umbrellas etc.

I spent a fair amount, although nothing like my budget busting adventures on Tokyo Bay.

SweetDuffy101

You do know that TDS is owned by the Oriental Land Company which licenses Disney IP, Hence they buy what they want from Disney. Ironically OLC is building the Frozen attraction that should have been built in WDW.

OLC has no great desire for SW or MCU no matter how badly Burbank wants to push it on them. They do want the 'old school' Disney IP though

Sad news for Frozen in Tokyo though, I think that the Plans for Frozen are dead. Marvel isn't allowed in Tokyo.

lazyboy97o

I remember reading that was their intention. They were going for fung shui or whatever.
Hong Kong Disneyland is the park that actively incorporates feng shui into its design. Being a mystical tradition, it is not in line with the philosophy of the Communist Party of China. Despite this, feng shui is still very popular and it would not be unusual for local designers to incorporate at least some aspects of feng shui, but this being a municipal project they would likely not be called out as such. It’s one of those situations where everyone knows what it is but it’s only acceptable if you don’t say what it is.

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, so you've heard the good (unless I forgot something, which is possible ... I did take notes for another project I am working on that I had intended to use here as well and they are still packed somewhere), how could such a vocal critic of the resort even being built not have criticism? Well, of course, I have it.

Again, I enjoyed the park greatly and look forward to returning in the next few years. But many of the issues that people inside told me/complained/poured their hearts out about, issues that I could see from docs and pics, issues that were mentioned by others in passing fashion ... those absolutely exist.

First, there is the weather, which is not a Disney issue. It was hot, humid and, generally, miserable when we had our time there. There was some sun and blue sky, but more smog and haze. Then we left and they went to trip digit heat for weeks because global warming is a liberal myth designed to destroy business because no liberal owns a business, or shops at one, or depends on one or simply enjoys money.

Crowds are an issue. They were horrible. So much so that Tokyo was an oasis when we arrived. Imagine arriving before opening to a sea of private security guards holding hands in a human chain to prevent people from cutting across planters and other areas to get in front of hundreds of others going around. Imagine it taking an hour to get through security and then the turnstiles where the vast majority of tickets get printed on the spot and it is hellish. Especially, when dealing with a culture that doesn't understand queueing or personal space. It just isn't something you deal with at any other Disney park in the world. I expected it, but I have lived and worked in the mainland. The typical O-Town fanboi would likely not know how to act. And recall that all the blather about how great the park was and how crowds weren't bad at the Grand Opening last year don't bother to tell their flocks that Disney severely restricted capacity during the park's first four days of official operation.

More to come ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't want to repeat myself, but SDL is a park that does a number on your feet. It doesn't seem like the same company that created DL and the MK etc also built this. It is near impossible to not walk vast distances and crisscross the park many, many times during the day. There are no easy ways to get from say Adventure Isle to Tomorrowland.

I've already made comments about the castle, but Mickey Ave is a piece of work in its own right. A tiny entryway of borrowed from other parks (everything from Carthay Circle to Remy's) designs all thrown together with a theme of ... Mickey? ... old-time Disney? ... no clue to tie them together. Basically, one side is the Ave M Arcade, which is the Emporium, just much nicer. The other is largely a QSR, Mickey & Pals Cafe. The land is finished before it starts because it isn't one.

I know fanbois and bloggers love the little nods to obscure 1940s cartoon shorts. But it takes a lot more than that to make a cohesive land.

That's just SDL in a nutshell. Great details, but not well thought through or thought out.

The Gardens of Imagination are also a land largely in name only. They are the Hub, as such. But with no direct access to the castle. You have a nice carousel themed to Fantasia, largely so the PR can say 'SDL boasts the only Fantasia-themed carousel in the world' ... you have half of the Dueling Dumbos lifted from O-Town ... you have water and bridges ... you have a wall with the Chinese zodiacs themed to Disney characters largely so Disney can sell merchandise with obscure characters in pin and vinyl form ... you have the Meet Mickey experience next to a hastily thrown together Marvel Experience (a temporary 'attraction' thrown in a few years ago after the Marvel acquisition) ... you have a few QSRs and ODVs. It doesn't flow and it doesn't tell any story.

As an aside, while the landscaping in Adventure Isle is truly beautiful (and will likely be amazing in 3-5 years time), trees are largely an afterthought everywhere else, which no doubt would put a smile on the faces of men/dinosaurs like George Kalogridis and Phil Holmes. But there are loads of benches ... benches everywhere ... I may have even taken photos to illustrate this.

Going back to the Guests, what is abundantly clear very quickly is that the locals (330 million strong within three hours of the resort) fall into two groups: 1.) monied Shanghai middle and upper class (meaning they might have a second home in Bel-Air) and;
2.) poor people who have saved a bundle to travel from the hinterlands and simply have no idea what Disney is or why it is special or, most importantly, how to behave in a theme park. You can't blame them. You can only try to educate them. Disney has (how many on Twitter have laughed at the characters encouraging people to use toilets?), but it's definitely a work in progress.

When the park opens, it is near pristine. But it doesn't take long for litter to start going everywhere. People just toss stuff down. One night when getting on Pirates, we had to wade through about 6-8 inches of garbage on the floor of the boat. One afternoon, we went to see the second showing of the Pirates stunt show and the queue was a disaster with piles of trash that clearly had been moved by CMs.

And people don't listen to CMs. Watching the free for all of people attempting to get positions to see the parade was ... eye-opening ... with parents encouraging their children to do dangerous things (like climb trees and pull on electrical wiring that connects the lighting in the trees).

Let's talk show quality. There are already issues. Or one huge issue. Namely, that after a laughable situation involving a giant animatronic yeti in FL that was unable to function from almost the opening of the attraction, WDI went ahead and built a rapids ride where the climax is a meeting with a giant animatronic crocodilian mixed with dinosaur. When I rode, he was dead. Just dead. Not moving. Just like a giant head staring at you. How WDI was allowed to build another giant AA as an attraction's centerpiece when it has shown it can't keep these running is mindboggling because you know this thing cost a fortune.

The only other SQS issue we had was on our very last ride on Pirates when the Davy Jones AA, which is the most impressive I have ever seen, was also inop and simply sat at his organ with his back to the riders.

EPICOT

I don't want to repeat myself, but SDL is a park that does a number on your feet. It doesn't seem like the same company that created DL and the MK etc also built this. It is near impossible to not walk vast distances and crisscross the park many, many times during the day. There are no easy ways to get from say Adventure Isle to Tomorrowland.

I've already made comments about the castle, but Mickey Ave is a piece of work in its own right. A tiny entryway of borrowed from other parks (everything from Carthay Circle to Remy's) designs all thrown together with a theme of ... Mickey? ... old-time Disney? ... no clue to tie them together. Basically, one side is the Ave M Arcade, which is the Emporium, just much nicer. The other is largely a QSR, Mickey & Pals Cafe. The land is finished before it starts because it isn't one.

I know fanbois and bloggers love the little nods to obscure 1940s cartoon shorts. But it takes a lot more than that to make a cohesive land.

That's just SDL in a nutshell. Great details, but not well thought through or thought out.

The Gardens of Imagination are also a land largely in name only. They are the Hub, as such. But with no direct access to the castle. You have a nice carousel themed to Fantasia, largely so the PR can say 'SDL boasts the only Fantasia-themed carousel in the world' ... you have half of the Dueling Dumbos lifted from O-Town ... you have water and bridges ... you have a wall with the Chinese zodiacs themed to Disney characters largely so Disney can sell merchandise with obscure characters in pin and vinyl form ... you have the Meet Mickey experience next to a hastily thrown together Marvel Experience (a temporary 'attraction' thrown in a few years ago after the Marvel acquisition) ... you have a few QSRs and ODVs. It doesn't flow and it doesn't tell any story.

As an aside, while the landscaping in Adventure Isle is truly beautiful (and will likely be amazing in 3-5 years time), trees are largely an afterthought everywhere else, which no doubt would put a smile on the faces of men/dinosaurs like George Kalogridis and Phil Holmes. But there are loads of benches ... benches everywhere ... I may have even taken photos to illustrate this.

Going back to the Guests, what is abundantly clear very quickly is that the locals (330 million strong within three hours of the resort) fall into two groups: 1.) monied Shanghai middle and upper class (meaning they might have a second home in Bel-Air) and;
2.) poor people who have saved a bundle to travel from the hinterlands and simply have no idea what Disney is or why it is special or, most importantly, how to behave in a theme park. You can't blame them. You can only try to educate them. Disney has (how many on Twitter have laughed at the characters encouraging people to use toilets?), but it's definitely a work in progress.

When the park opens, it is near pristine. But it doesn't take long for litter to start going everywhere. People just toss stuff down. One night when getting on Pirates, we had to wade through about 6-8 inches of garbage on the floor of the boat. One afternoon, we went to see the second showing of the Pirates stunt show and the queue was a disaster with piles of trash that clearly had been moved by CMs.

And people don't listen to CMs. Watching the free for all of people attempting to get positions to see the parade was ... eye-opening ... with parents encouraging their children to do dangerous things (like climb trees and pull on electrical wiring that connects the lighting in the trees).

Let's talk show quality. There are already issues. Or one huge issue. Namely, that after a laughable situation involving a giant animatronic yeti in FL that was unable to function from almost the opening of the attraction, WDI went ahead and built a rapids ride where the climax is a meeting with a giant animatronic crocodilian mixed with dinosaur. When I rode, he was dead. Just dead. Not moving. Just like a giant head staring at you. How WDI was allowed to build another giant AA as an attraction's centerpiece when it has shown it can't keep these running is mindboggling because you know this thing cost a fortune.

The only other SQS issue we had was on our very last ride on Pirates when the Davy Jones AA, which is the most impressive I have ever seen, was also inop and simply sat at his organ with his back to the riders.

Well, at least the Yeti will have someone to disco with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom