Trip Report A Poly Girl in a GF World *COMPLETED*

*Gasp!* :jawdrop:

Is it true? Tuvalu, the die-hard Polynesian fan, spent 4 recent nights at a different deluxe resort? Didn't she already have three magical stays at the Poly this year? Didn't she take her name from her favorite longhouse at the Poly? Isn't this blasphemy? (Actually it isn't, but you get the point.)

Yep, it's true. Like many of you who have broken loyal ties to a political party (don't worry, I'm not gonna go there) Woody and I decided to try another option for our Food and Wine Festival excursion.

In anticipation of the question, "Why didn't you stay at an Epcot resort?" I will say, "Cause I like the MK resorts better." :D

Tuvalu and Woody taking a trip to WDW specifically for F&W is a bit ironic, since:
1) We are not foodies and
2) We are not big drinkers
But as we approach our sunset years, we are determined to keep ourselves open to new experiences and embrace change (even when we don't like it.)

And really, who doesn't like to eat?

Now back to the resort. The Grand Floridian. Disney's Flagship resort. The resort people call "too stuffy." Or "I could never be comfortable there." Or "The Four Seasons is a much better resort for the price."

Well, Woody and I were quite comfortable, despite a couple of irritating incidents to be revealed later. We had no problem walking around in our Target and Kohl's clothes. And we got a room rate that wouldn't have paid for the janitor's closet at the Four Seasons. (Okay, a slight exaggeration.)

The deets:
Dates: October 1-5, 2016
Cast: Tuvalu and Woody

IMG_4333.JPG

Follow along to find out how we filled that "rumbly in our tumbly."

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
One of actor W.C. Fields famous quotes is "Never work with animals or children" ~ likely because both steal the attention away from the main star. Since I am far from being a star and have already derailed part of this TR with a pic of my kitties, it seems fitting I should include a few photos of adorable costumed children from the Halloween parade at M's preschool.

Captain America, The Man with the Yellow Hat and Sulley!
IMG_4379.PNG

Pooh (with Eeyore's demeanor!)
IMG_4378.PNG

The world's smallest Stormtrooper (how cute is he??!!)
IMG_4360.JPG

Nick Wilde, Captain Hook and Darth :p
IMG_4369.JPG

My precious M as Supergirl!! :inlove:
IMG_4357.JPG

Olympic swimmer, Policeman, another pint-size Stormtrooper, Supergirl and "Harley Quinn"
IMG_4368.JPG

What a fun morning!
IMG_4372.JPG

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Rewind now back to Saturday, October 1. We had just arrived at the GF.

In the interest of full disclosure, this was not our first stay at the GF ~ it was our 5th. Our first time was in 2000 with our kids, the second half of a split stay. My eldest was sick with the stomach flu on our transfer day and the GF staff was very accommodating in giving us a room at 9 am. No standard view rooms were available so we were even upgraded to lagoon view. :)

Woody and I celebrated our 25th anniversary there several years later. No view upgrade, but we returned to our room one night to find a trail of rose petals leading to a giant rose-petal heart on the bed, a bottle of champagne and some chocolate-covered strawberries ~ a wonderful surprise.

Our most recent stays were with Em in 2014 & 2015 ~ during the time period our beloved Poly was a construction zone. We were celebrating Em's college graduation in 2014 and wanted the trip to be extra special, so we splurged on a theme park view. And on that trip, she had her first interview for her teaching job. :D

So while Poly will always be my first true love, we have many good memories at the GF. Would this stay provide even more??.......

Woody and I exited the main building in search of our room.
IMG_3880.JPG

Gotta love this view in front of Gasparilla's, the 24-hour counter service restaurant.
IMG_3881.JPG

Why, we've stayed here before!
IMG_3882.JPG

But we knew we would not have this view again.
IMG_1781.JPG

(We'd have to walk back to Gasparilla's for that!)

@Tony the Tigger, here are some room pics for ya!
IMG_3886.JPG

IMG_3887.JPG

IMG_3889.JPG

IMG_3888.JPG

IMG_3890.JPG

IMG_3891.JPG

There is also a laundry basket (in the sink area) for dirty towels.....NOT for your personal dirty laundry, as my SIL thought! :hilarious:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Though we didn't have the same view as we'd had in 2014, we were very pleased with this "standard view."

IMG_3883.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG

IMG_3884.JPG

I was a little nervous when I received our room text and learned our room was on the 4th floor. Most 4th floor rooms are dormer rooms, with tiny balconies and no view unless you are standing outside. Since we enjoy sitting out on a balcony, I was sad that might not be an option this time.

But lo and behold, it was!! While our room was next to a dormer room, we had a full balcony! :happy:
IMG_4380.PNG

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Those are the cutest costumes!!! Your niece is adorable!
Oh and policeman is actually a pup...Chase from the Paw Patrol to be exact. That's my 3 year old's favorite show. haha!
Oh, I am very familiar with Chase from Paw Patrol! The show is a favorite of M and her brothers. I thought it would just be simpler to say "policeman" for those unaware. ;)

Those pictures are so cute! M is an adorable Supergirl. I love the expression on Captain Hook's face, he's totally into it.
Captain Hook cracked me up!

Tony the Tigger

Rewind now back to Saturday, October 1. We had just arrived at the GF.

In the interest of full disclosure, this was not our first stay at the GF ~ it was our 5th. Our first time was in 2000 with our kids, the second half of a split stay. My eldest was sick with the stomach flu on our transfer day and the GF staff was very accommodating in giving us a room at 9 am. No standard view rooms were available so we were even upgraded to lagoon view. :)

Woody and I celebrated our 25th anniversary there several years later. No view upgrade, but we returned to our room one night to find a trail of rose petals leading to a giant rose-petal heart on the bed, a bottle of champagne and some chocolate-covered strawberries ~ a wonderful surprise.

Our most recent stays were with Em in 2014 & 2015 ~ during the time period our beloved Poly was a construction zone. We were celebrating Em's college graduation in 2014 and wanted the trip to be extra special, so we splurged on a theme park view. And on that trip, she had her first interview for her teaching job. :D

So while Poly will always be my first true love, we have many good memories at the GF. Would this stay provide even more??.......

Woody and I exited the main building in search of our room.
View attachment 171797

Gotta love this view in front of Gasparilla's, the 24-hour counter service restaurant.
View attachment 171798

Why, we've stayed here before!
View attachment 171799

But we knew we would not have this view again.
View attachment 171806
(We'd have to walk back to Gasparilla's for that!)

@Tony the Tigger, here are some room pics for ya!
View attachment 171800

View attachment 171801

View attachment 171802

View attachment 171803

View attachment 171804

View attachment 171805

There is also a laundry basket (in the sink area) for dirty towels.....NOT for your personal dirty laundry, as my SIL thought! :hilarious:

:jawdrop::happy::D:joyfull:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
After a quick unpack (for me anyway, Woody's bag was still in the midst of "magical transport"), we left our room for some park fun.

Betcha can guess where we went. :p

And even with all our bad....and I mean bad....monorail experiences as of late, I am ever the eternal optimist so we made our way to the platform. And waited.

And waited.

We watched two express trains speed through the GF station before seeing this promising sight ~
IMG_3893.JPG

Which arrived, of course, completely full. One of the downsides to boarding the monorail at the GF is having to be the last sardine packed into the can. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than finding an open seat.

Happily the ride to MK is a short one (when you don't have to stop and wait "for further traffic clearance.") And the good thing about having to stand means you are one of the first ones off!

My 1972 self never would have imagined I would actually be here on this day ~
IMG_3894.JPG

HAPPY 45th ANNIVERSARY, MK!!!!!!

I did not intentionally schedule our trip around this milestone day. Rather it was dumb luck ~ much like our trip in October of 2012 which coincided with Epcot's 30th Anniversary. However once I realized we would be there for both of those celebrations, I adjusted our touring plans accordingly. In 2012, I made a dinner ADR at La Hacienda which enabled us to enjoy THE BEST ILLUMINATIONS EVER from our window table. The special 30th Anniversary fireworks tag was the most amazing, close-up fireworks Woody and I have ever experienced. We will never forget it.

Therefore I was super excited to learn what MK planned for its special day. New parade? Special edition of Celebrate the Magic? An additional fireworks extravaganza?

How about a 45th Anniversary button?
IMG_3897.JPG

A button? (#blameShanghai) Talk about anti-climactic! It was like being Charlie Brown on Halloween ~ "I got a rock."

(I would have gladly picked up extras for you, @Figment Forever and @Courtney6682 so you wouldn't have had to pay inflated e-Bay prices!)

Oh well. At least we'd be able to purchase some special Anniversary merchandise, right? Right?

Stay tuned.....

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Which arrived, of course, completely full. One of the downsides to boarding the monorail at the GF is having to be the last sardine packed into the can. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than finding an open seat.

It may have been around 8 years ago that I stayed for a few nights at GF (one of those "once in a lifetime" I've got to stay there situations).

Anyway, I vaguely recall that sometimes the resort monorail would pick up guests at GF first; while other times, it would pick up at the Contemporary first. This might have happened in the mornings when they put on more monorail trains for the early morning dash to MK, or the Transportation and Ticket Center stop. Then again, I might have just thought that happened. :confused: (Today is one of those brain fog days . . . :cautious: :p )

Figment Forever

After a quick unpack (for me anyway, Woody's bag was still in the midst of "magical transport"), we left our room for some park fun.

Betcha can guess where we went. :p

And even with all our bad....and I mean bad....monorail experiences as of late, I am ever the eternal optimist so we made our way to the platform. And waited.

And waited.

We watched two express trains speed through the GF station before seeing this promising sight ~
View attachment 171860

Happily the ride to MK is a short one (when you don't have to stop and wait "for further traffic clearance.") And the good thing about having to stand means you are one of the first ones off!

My 1972 self never would have imagined I would actually be here on this day ~
View attachment 171861
HAPPY 45th ANNIVERSARY, MK!!!!!!

I did not intentionally schedule our trip around this milestone day. Rather it was dumb luck ~ much like our trip in October of 2012 which coincided with Epcot's 30th Anniversary. However once I realized we would be there for both of those celebrations, I adjusted our touring plans accordingly. In 2012, I made a dinner ADR at La Hacienda which enabled us to enjoy THE BEST ILLUMINATIONS EVER from our window table. The special 30th Anniversary fireworks tag was the most amazing, close-up fireworks Woody and I have ever experienced. We will never forget it.

Therefore I was super excited to learn what MK planned for its special day. New parade? Special edition of Celebrate the Magic? An additional fireworks extravaganza?

How about a 45th Anniversary button?
View attachment 171862

A button? (#blameShanghai) Talk about anti-climactic! It was like being Charlie Brown on Halloween ~ "I got a rock."

(I would have gladly picked up extras for you, @Figment Forever and @Courtney6682 so you wouldn't have had to pay inflated e-Bay prices!)

Oh well. At least we'd be able to purchase some special Anniversary merchandise, right? Right?

Stay tuned.....

lol For the 50th celebration, I'll be sure to place my order with you!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
It may have been around 8 years ago that I stayed for a few nights at GF (one of those "once in a lifetime" I've got to stay there situations).

Anyway, I vaguely recall that sometimes the resort monorail would pick up guests at GF first; while other times, it would pick up at the Contemporary first. This might have happened in the mornings when they put on more monorail trains for the early morning dash to MK, or the Transportation and Ticket Center stop. Then again, I might have just thought that happened. :confused: (Today is one of those brain fog days . . . :cautious: :p )
In the past, doors of certain monorail cars (which were empty) were not opened at all the stops in order to allow guests "down the line" room to board. I haven't seen this done in awhile though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom