A park called Disneyland Kingdom?

mharrington

Original Poster
Yeah you could just make the building 10x bigger close to the same size as Disneyland, and include new lands with the OG lands to fill in the gaps.

Well, I was thinking that regardless of where I do the park, it would be derivative of an earlier attempt to do a park in Brazil: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...-in-a-new-location-open-brainstorming.927310/. Additionally, it's not just a matter spreading the building out, but also up - WAY up, especially since the castle would be the same as Hong Kong's new design. Further, it would be almost impossible to do any expansions if done in a building.

mharrington

Original Poster
One alternative I had thought of for selecting a location for the park was to do a locale derivative of either the S.E.A. or Duffy universes, but the problem with those two are that they tend to be set in actual lands of preexisting parks. The S.E.A.'s home is at Mystic Point, with headquarters in Tokyo DisneySea. As for Duffy, most of those characters appear to hail from either American Waterfront or Mediterranean Harbor, also at TDS. The one exception is 'Olu Mel, who apparently hails from the Aulani resort.

ThemeParkPriest

Well, I was thinking that regardless of where I do the park, it would be derivative of an earlier attempt to do a park in Brazil: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...-in-a-new-location-open-brainstorming.927310/. Additionally, it's not just a matter spreading the building out, but also up - WAY up, especially since the castle would be the same as Hong Kong's new design. Further, it would be almost impossible to do any expansions if done in a building.
I’ve read the same book on the international parks by Sylvester. I think Brazil is the option to go with. There’s a lot of potential with a South American market. Leaders change, but more important is if the the people would support it (and I think they could). Disney is going to be busy with filling up Walt Disney Studios in Paris for a while. I’m not saying Germany won’t ever get a Disney park, but Brazil seems much more likely.

mharrington

Original Poster
I'm thinking also of maybe putting my park in a place called Kubla Khan. It is derivative of a poem by Samuel Tyler Coleridge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubla_Khan. The problem with that is that it's seemingly set in Asia (it was part of the Mongol Empire), and I'm trying to avoid that.

Or I could just call it Disneyland Nowhere, because that's where it's located.

Last edited:

orlando678-

honestly it depends on if you necessarily want to keep the german and portuguese aspects but maybe you could use a fictional location, pretty interesting concept which we've not seen often before here on the forums. otherwise I might suggest looking into either Portugal, or the Portuguese islands, where Germans often go during vacation trips and with German being one of the major languages in Europe(probably third, behind english and french), it wouldn't be totally out of the ordinary to have German play a larger role in your resort.

mharrington

Original Poster
honestly it depends on if you necessarily want to keep the german and portuguese aspects but maybe you could use a fictional location, pretty interesting concept which we've not seen often before here on the forums. otherwise I might suggest looking into either Portugal, or the Portuguese islands, where Germans often go during vacation trips and with German being one of the major languages in Europe(probably third, behind english and french), it wouldn't be totally out of the ordinary to have German play a larger role in your resort.
The problem with making up a location is that no one has ever heard of it. Wouldn't they would like to know some background behind it, and not just make up a name as an excuse to put in a park?

I actually had thought of making up a fictitious location, maybe going the "Big Hero 6" route and coming up with a city in Brazil with both Brazilian and German citizens, maybe calling it "Berlisilia" or something (a mix of "Berlin" and "Brasilia", in case you were wondering), but since no one has ever heard of it, wouldn't it make sense to actually explain the history and context of the city, as I said?

I also had once thought of putting it in a mythical land, like maybe Shangri-La or someplace which represents peace and happiness, a utopia, but the problem with Shangri-La in particular is that even though it's slang for "utopia", it's supposedly set somewhere in Asia, which has several Disney parks already. Read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shangri-La.

Along the same lines, I had also thought of Xanadu, but again, it is derivative of Asian history. According to Wikipedia, it refers to Shangdu, "the summer capital of Kublai Khan's Yuan empire, which became a mythological place and a metaphor for splendor and opulence under the name Xanadu, caused by the popular poem by [Samuel Taylor] Coleridge." Xanadu is "the place-name used for Shangdu in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's 1816 poem 'Kubla Khan'." So while it is derivative of splendor and opulence, Xanadu is first and foremost derivative of Asia.

mharrington

Original Poster
I mention three options that could have a Disneyland resort.
Technically, it was two options, as Bangkok is in Thailand, and I'm trying to avoid Asia.

One of my main criteria in choosing a location for a park is the preexistence of Disney in those places. One way to know is the release history of Disney films in those countries. I don't mean video or TV releases. I mean theatrical releases. I have no idea what the release histories are for those countries, and I don't know much about Hong Kong or China, either, except that "Snow White" was released in China in mid-1938.

Before you suggest that I look it up on IMDB, be aware that it's not always accurate, which is why I had tried (but failed) to gain information on the release of films from the Disney Archives, as they would probably know better than I ever could.

mharrington

Original Poster
I was also suggesting Taiwan, and New Zealand as well.
They're in the Pacific as well, and I'm trying to avoid them. What's more, I don't know anything about the releases of Disney films in those countries.

Anyway, to answer @orlando678-...

The problem with making up a location is that no one has ever heard of it. Wouldn't they would like to know some background behind it, and not just make up a name as an excuse to put in a park?

I actually had thought of making up a fictitious location, maybe going the "Big Hero 6" route and coming up with a city in Brazil with both Brazilian and German citizens, maybe calling it "Berlisilia" or something (a mix of "Berlin" and "Brasilia", in case you were wondering), but since no one has ever heard of it, wouldn't it make sense to actually explain the history and context of the city, as I said?

I also had once thought of putting it in a mythical land, like maybe Shangri-La or someplace which represents peace and happiness, a utopia, but the problem with Shangri-La in particular is that even though it's slang for "utopia", it's supposedly set somewhere in Asia, which has several Disney parks already. Read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shangri-La.

Along the same lines, I had also thought of Xanadu, but again, it is derivative of Asian history. According to Wikipedia, it refers to Shangdu, "the summer capital of Kublai Khan's Yuan empire, which became a mythological place and a metaphor for splendor and opulence under the name Xanadu, caused by the popular poem by [Samuel Taylor] Coleridge." Xanadu is "the place-name used for Shangdu in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's 1816 poem 'Kubla Khan'." So while it is derivative of splendor and opulence, Xanadu is first and foremost derivative of Asia.

What are your thoughts on that?

orlando678-

They're in the Pacific as well, and I'm trying to avoid them. What's more, I don't know anything about the releases of Disney films in those countries.

Anyway, to answer @orlando678-...

What are your thoughts on that?
no need to go into depth with Berlisilia, if you just describe the general tone of how the city is set up, readers will probably have enough to understand which aspects you'll take from which culture into park representation. Maybe check out a general description of San Fransokyo and apply it to the Berlin/Brasilia model.

Xanadu could work too I suppose. It's been used in many different contexts(heck I was just thinking about the Olivia Newton-John song the whole time), so I don't think the name would be predominantly associated with Asia, making it easier for you to universalize your resort and implement the culturally specific aspects from Germany and Brazil

mharrington

Original Poster
no need to go into depth with Berlisilia, if you just describe the general tone of how the city is set up, readers will probably have enough to understand which aspects you'll take from which culture into park representation. Maybe check out a general description of San Fransokyo and apply it to the Berlin/Brasilia model.

Xanadu could work too I suppose. It's been used in many different contexts(heck I was just thinking about the Olivia Newton-John song the whole time), so I don't think the name would be predominantly associated with Asia, making it easier for you to universalize your resort and implement the culturally specific aspects from Germany and Brazil

I did first hear about Xanadu via the movie, too. I just find it weird to associate it with Germany and Brazil, since it has never happened before.

mharrington

Original Poster
I’ve read the same book on the international parks by Sylvester. I think Brazil is the option to go with. There’s a lot of potential with a South American market. Leaders change, but more important is if the the people would support it (and I think they could). Disney is going to be busy with filling up Walt Disney Studios in Paris for a while. I’m not saying Germany won’t ever get a Disney park, but Brazil seems much more likely.
Well, don't forget, politically, Brazil has become something of a pariah, at least as far as the U.S. is concerned. Plus, I believe WDW benefits heavily from the Brazilian populace.

As for Germany, as mentioned in Silvester's book, when they talked about selecting a European location, Germany was ruled out because it was determined Germans wanted to "take their vacations in other countries." Plus, as @MANEATINGWREATH had said, putting a park in Germany would be hit-or-miss, given the miles of farmland and fields separating the major cities. And though a park may be a hit with tourists, locals would be less kind, especially if Paris was an indication. Additionally, as MEW also said, Donald Duck seems to be more popular than Mickey Mouse, with Donald Duck comics available everywhere, as well as "DuckTales" being shown on TV. And then of course there's the weather, which can get freezing cold with snow even as late as April. And like France, Germany has a rich history of its own, which is relatively recent. The Berlin Wall is still quite real, as are the remnants of World War II from which some parts of the country still seem to be rebuilding some 75 years later.

If Germany or any other part of Europe got a park location, it will not be until AT LEAST after Disney Studios Paris is fleshed out, with the additions of Avengers Campus (so that would not go into Germany) and a Frozen land, as well as the rumored addition of Galaxy's Edge. So if a German park (indeed, another European park) were to happen, none of those things would be included, and the financial situation would have to be stabilized as well.

ThemeParkPriest

Well, don't forget, politically, Brazil has become something of a pariah, at least as far as the U.S. is concerned. Plus, I believe WDW benefits heavily from the Brazilian populace.

As for Germany, as mentioned in Silvester's book, when they talked about selecting a European location, Germany was ruled out because it was determined Germans wanted to "take their vacations in other countries." Plus, as @MANEATINGWREATH had said, putting a park in Germany would be hit-or-miss, given the miles of farmland and fields separating the major cities. And though a park may be a hit with tourists, locals would be less kind, especially if Paris was an indication. Additionally, as MEW also said, Donald Duck seems to be more popular than Mickey Mouse, with Donald Duck comics available everywhere, as well as "DuckTales" being shown on TV. And then of course there's the weather, which can get freezing cold with snow even as late as April. And like France, Germany has a rich history of its own, which is relatively recent. The Berlin Wall is still quite real, as are the remnants of World War II from which some parts of the country still seem to be rebuilding some 75 years later.

If Germany or any other part of Europe got a park location, it will not be until AT LEAST after Disney Studios Paris is fleshed out, with the additions of Avengers Campus (so that would not go into Germany) and a Frozen land, as well as the rumored addition of Galaxy's Edge. So if a German park (indeed, another European park) were to happen, none of those things would be included, and the financial situation would have to be stabilized as well.
As one who bought a German Donald Duck comic book as a souvenir, you’re correct on that point!

mharrington

Original Poster
Anyway, to answer @orlando678-, I have thought of Xanadu, mainly from the movie from 1980. It's just that I find it weird to associate it with Germany or Brazil, as it has never happened before ever.

Additionally, I was thinking of putting Soarin' in this park, but the challenge is that it has a different ending: Shanghai (though only the city, not the park) in Shanghai Disneyland, Disneyland at DCA, Epcot at... Epcot, and Tokyo DisneySea in Tokyo (where, incidentally, the flyover of Paris is replaced by one of Tokyo, with the Tokyo Tower standing in for the Eiffel Tower). Xanadu is not a real place, so we can't have a flyover of that.

mharrington

Original Poster
Also, I'm not sure how much sense it would make to put Soarin' in a German park, particularly since all versions of the ride feature a flyover of Neuschwanstein, the castle on which Disneyland's castle is heavily based.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom