A new Toontown for WDW - Yet another revival (open brainstorming)

mharrington

Original Poster
lol i couldn't tell you that your the one making the concept. if we were in toon town there would be no point for the characters to be in a hotel. you meet Mickey and Minnie in town square theater, does that make it toon town as well?

No, that's Main Street.

comics101

What if Toontown becomes a sort of cartoonified version of Hollywood? It could look something like this...

Toontown
Toontown Blvd
1. Toontown Trolley Tours (simulator)
2. Ink & Paint Club (full service restaurant)
3. Toontown Theatre (Mickey's Phillarmagic)
Toon Studios
4. Mickey's Trailer (Mickey Mouse M&G)
5. Soundstage (Various character M&G)
6. Escape from Phantom Blot (shooting dark ride)

The land would be located behind Disney Animation and Sunset Blvd, and would be divided into 2 areas, the actual city (Toontown Blvd), and Toon Studios. On Toontown Blvd, guests will find a simulator attraction, the story being that guests are going to see all of the historic sights located in Toontown, including the houses of their favorite celebrities. Of course, cartoon chaos ensues. The queue would wind it's way through the Trolley station, located in the heart of Downtown Toontown. Using forced perspective, guests would be able to see the Toontown hills and other "historic" buildings on the attraction's facade.
The Ink & Paint Club is rather self-explanatory. Maybe it could include a dinner show (along the lines of the one seen in Roger Rabbit? Or maybe something more similar to House of Mouse?)
The Toontown Theatre is Toontown's premiere theater, and today's performance is the Phillarmagic Orchestra (imported from MK, maybe updated with some new scenes?). The Theater feel as though it came out of the 1930's, cartoonified of course.

Passing through the Studio Gate, guests make their way to Toon Studios. Here they'll find Mickey's trailer, which would include a M&G with (talking) Mickey and Pluto. Throughout the trailer guests will find various awards and mementos Mickey's kept through the years.
The soundstage is where guests will find all of the other Fab 5. Each character's M&G location will be located on a "hot set", and guests have been invited to help their favorite characters with the shoot.
The final attraction in Toontown is Escape from Phantom Blot. Located in Toon Studios, Mickey needs your help filming his latest feature, "Escape from Phantom Blot". Phantom Blot has escaped from prison and is stealing all of the color from Toontown! Equipped with paint brushes, Mickey and the gang need your help to restore color to Toontown. As guests shoot paint at buildings, characters, etc, the color of the items would be restored.

Anywho, Idk if this is even remotely what you're looking for, I just figure I'd make my pitch :lol:. Hope it helps!

goofy donald

What if Toontown becomes a sort of cartoonified version of Hollywood? It could look something like this...

Toontown
Toontown Blvd
Toon Studios

The land would be located behind Disney Animation and Sunset Blvd, and would be divided into 2 areas, the actual city (Toontown Blvd), and Toon Studios. On Toontown Blvd, guests will find a simulator attraction, the story being that guests are going to see all of the historic sights located in Toontown, including the houses of their favorite celebrities. Of course, cartoon chaos ensues. The queue would wind it's way through the Trolley station, located in the heart of Downtown Toontown. Using forced perspective, guests would be able to see the Toontown hills and other "historic" buildings on the attraction's facade.
The Ink & Paint Club is rather self-explanatory. Maybe it could include a dinner show (along the lines of the one seen in Roger Rabbit? Or maybe something more similar to House of Mouse?)
The Toontown Theatre is Toontown's premiere theater, and today's performance is the Phillarmagic Orchestra (imported from MK, maybe updated with some new scenes?). The Theater feel as though it came out of the 1930's, cartoonified of course.

Passing through the Studio Gate, guests make their way to Toon Studios. Here they'll find Mickey's trailer, which would include a M&G with (talking) Mickey and Pluto. Throughout the trailer guests will find various awards and mementos Mickey's kept through the years.
The soundstage is where guests will find all of the other Fab 5. Each character's M&G location will be located on a "hot set", and guests have been invited to help their favorite characters with the shoot.
The final attraction in Toontown is Escape from Phantom Blot. Located in Toon Studios, Mickey needs your help filming his latest feature, "Escape from Phantom Blot". Phantom Blot has escaped from prison and is stealing all of the color from Toontown! Equipped with paint brushes, Mickey and the gang need your help to restore color to Toontown. As guests shoot paint at buildings, characters, etc, the color of the items would be restored.

Anywho, Idk if this is even remotely what you're looking for, I just figure I'd make my pitch :lol:. Hope it helps!

I like this idea but I would change mickeys trailer into mickeys office, make him the head of the toon studio so to speak. then the queue could be like walking past the other offices seeing shadows or video of other characters in their offices. second change the phantom blot ride, there's already a shooter ride at the park with TSMM and one at MK in buzz lightyear.

mharrington

Original Poster
Toontown
Toontown Blvd
Toon Studios

I'm not really liking the idea of a cartoon-like Hollywood. I'm not fond of making the whole land a cartoon version of a reminder of the park's past. First off, I think the PhilharMagic is too formal-looking to fit into this park. Second, the Phantom Blot ride might, here again, fit better in a castle park. Third, the trailers/soundstages just seem too simple in my opinion. Again, these tend to be reminders of the park's past, which was a working studio. Also, what if instead of an Ink and Paint Club restaurant, there was a House of Mouse? The only problem there is it's based on a show that gained a bigger following from established/hardcore Disney fans than from the general public.

The only thing I would agree with is the Toontown trolley tour thing, but that's about it. I'm still sticking to my idea of the character meet-n-greet in the hotel.

goofy donald

I'm still sticking to my idea of the character meet-n-greet in the hotel.

lol why do you make a post on brainstorming if your just going to turn down every other idea and revert back to your own even though everyone else agrees one way and yourself another? that's not brainstorming

comics101

second change the phantom blot ride, there's already a shooter ride at the park with TSMM and one at MK in buzz lightyear.

I considered this, but figured the attractions would be different enough to from one another that it wouldn't be a big deal.

TSMM uses 3-D technology to literally shoot arrows/pies/rings/whatever else at targets, while The Phantom Blot Attraction (a new name really is needed lol) would involve elaborate physical sets and wouldn't be a "shooter" attraction in the traditional sense, as you'd literally be waving paintbrushes around at different items in the ride rather than just shooting a target. The ride would use different colored lights to acheive the effect (I think :lol: I'm not entirely sure about the technical aspects of things...)

^As for the studio head, it's an interesting idea, but Mickey's always the star of the show in my book :p

goofy donald

I considered this, but figured the attractions would be different enough to from one another that it wouldn't be a big deal.

TSMM uses 3-D technology to literally shoot arrows/pies/rings/whatever else at targets, while The Phantom Blot Attraction (a new name really is needed lol) would involve elaborate physical sets and wouldn't be a "shooter" attraction in the traditional sense, as you'd literally be waving paintbrushes around at different items in the ride rather than just shooting a target. The ride would use different colored lights to acheive the effect (I think :lol: I'm not entirely sure about the technical aspects of things...)

^As for the studio head, it's an interesting idea, but Mickey's always the star of the show in my book :p

regardless though a shooter attraction is still a shooter attraction, i just think going in a more classic dark ride direction would be better.

it could still be dressing rooms instead of offices if you wanted to go in that direction.

comics101

regardless though a shooter attraction is still a shooter attraction, i just think going in a more classic dark ride direction would be better.

it could still be dressing rooms instead of offices if you wanted to go in that direction.

I get where you're coming from. I just don't think it's as big a deal as it could be. Big Thunder and Space Mtn are both roller coasters (both inside mtns!) yet they reside in the same park. But you're right too much repetition is certainly never a good thing. What were you thinking of as far as a dark ride goes?

And the dressing rooms/trailers/office space really doesn't matter much to me, I was semi-joking lol

mharrington

Original Poster
lol why do you make a post on brainstorming if your just going to turn down every other idea and revert back to your own even though everyone else agrees one way and yourself another? that's not brainstorming

Because I really am trying to come up with my own ideas and keep trying to get other people's opinions on the matter. But instead, everyone keeps coming up with other, vastly different ideas that seem too far-fetched and too different that just don't seem to work with me. Meanwhile, every idea I come up with is getting outright rejected.

Exactly. I'm having difficulty seeing Mickey as a corporate mogul. I'm having enough troubling seeing Disney described as "the mouse", so that's just not going to work with me.

And I'm also having difficulty with dressing rooms as meet-n-greets, at least in trailers. I imagine they would probably at least look mobile, with wheels and everything.

goofy donald

Because I really am trying to come up with my own ideas and keep trying to get other people's opinions on the matter. But instead, everyone keeps coming up with other, vastly different ideas that seem too far-fetched and too different that just don't seem to work with me. Meanwhile, every idea I come up with is getting outright rejected.

lol perhaps that should tell you something

comics101

I'm sorry! I never meant to reject your ideas, you just seemed really confused as to what you wanted so I was just suggesting some stuff...feel free to use what you like and discard what you don't like, it's no big deal.

One suggestion though, I wouldn't call your threads open brainstorming anymore if you don't want others to pitch their ideas on top of yours. At least when I think of an "open brainstorm," I think of a collaboration, so everyone pitches their ideas (no matter how similar or different) and create a sort of "best of" land together as a group. If you just want to share your ideas and receive feedback, maybe title them, "mharrington's Mickey's Toontown--Feedback and Critiques Welcome", or something along those lines. That way perhaps people will take the hint and not tell you what they want, but rather what they think of your ideas.

Edit: mh, I can't seem to find where you posted exactly what you wanted for Toontown. What exactly would YOUR ideal Toontown look like? Whether it be in the Studios or not? What attractions would be included and how would the land be divided/themed?

mharrington

Original Poster
One suggestion though, I wouldn't call your threads open brainstorming anymore if you don't want others to pitch their ideas on top of yours. At least when I think of an "open brainstorm," I think of a collaboration, so everyone pitches their ideas (no matter how similar or different) and create a sort of "best of" land together as a group. If you just want to share your ideas and receive feedback, maybe title them, "mharrington's Mickey's Toontown--Feedback and Critiques Welcome", or something along those lines. That way perhaps people will take the hint and not tell you what they want, but rather what they think of your ideas.

Oh, I'm perfectly all right with people pitching me their ideas, I just don't want to take the concept in an entirely different direction, as goofy_donald seemed to do. No offense.

Besides, I haven't got very many ideas of my own.

comics101

Oh, I'm perfectly all right with people pitching me their ideas, I just don't want to take the concept in an entirely different direction, as goofy_donald seemed to do. No offense.

Besides, I haven't got very many ideas of my own.

You've gotta have some kind of idea about what you want (we all know what you don't want :p)

So if Toontown's in DHS, then you don't want the following...
  • No residential area/character's houses
  • No studios themeing

And here's what you've stated you want so far...
  • Fab 5 M&G in a hotel setting
  • A dark ride of some sort
  • The House of Mouse/Ink & Paint Club/Full Service Restaurant w/entertainment
  • Toontown Trolley Tour Simulator (maybe)

On top of all of that, you really don't like the idea of putting Toontown in DHS, but you're not sure where else it would fit realistically...

So now you just have to decide on what you'd like the restaurant to be, and what exactly the dark ride would look like.
The other thing I would do is if you're not happy with DHS as the park, suggest a different park for Toontown. Or what if it's not in a park at all, but rather a separate experience, kind of like how Discovery Island used to be?

Anywho, see you do have ideas! :lol:

Edit: You also don't like the idea of an indoor Toontown, or a preshow for a Toontown-like attraction.

mharrington

Original Poster
On top of all of that, you really don't like the idea of putting Toontown in DHS, but you're not sure where else it would fit realistically...

Long before I had heard about the Fantasyland expansion, I was pondering expanding Mickey's Toontown Fair from a quasi-temporary land into a more permanent one, expanding beyond the train tracks if necessary. I had several ideas then, including a Roger Rabbit-type dark ride without Roger. But then the expansion happened, and of course, Toontown Fair is now gone. The only thing left now is the Barnstormer attraction, still tied to Goofy. Meanwhile, the Mickey meet-n-greet has been moved to the front of the park. So now, I was short one park to put it in, and there was really no place else where it could go (not without creating problems anyway).

Everyone kept insisting that a Toontown at WDW, for many reasons, would work best in the Studios. So that's why I'm grappling with this concept, because it's no longer in a castle park. I kept thinking, Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland had their Toontowns in their castle parks, so why not? (Of course, back then, when their Toontowns opened, they had only one park each to choose from in those days, not two each, as they do now.) As it was, everyone also kept insisting that, going by the Imagineering storyline, Mickey and the gang live in Disneyland while WDW was merely their vacation home.

The other thing I would do is if you're not happy with DHS as the park, suggest a different park for Toontown. Or what if it's not in a park at all, but rather a separate experience, kind of like how Discovery Island used to be?

As I said before, I was originally considering putting Toontown in the Magic Kingdom and expanding outward from the old Toontown Fair, but now that's not really a viable option anymore. And there is really no place else where it could go. And just doing a whole non-theme park experience just seems too far-fetched an idea. At one point, it was suggested that Toontown be worked into the new Art of Animation resort, but that's mainly about 1990s movies, so it doesn't really make much sense to include sections otherwise themed to cartoon shorts of the 1930s and '40s, where it would be a bit out of place. And there was one other idea of doing a Toontown-themed boutique park, but that never really got off the ground either.

goofy donald

You've gotta have some kind of idea about what you want (we all know what you don't want :p)

So if Toontown's in DHS, then you don't want the following...
  • No residential area/character's houses
  • No studios themeing

And here's what you've stated you want so far...
  • Fab 5 M&G in a hotel setting
  • A dark ride of some sort
  • The House of Mouse/Ink & Paint Club/Full Service Restaurant w/entertainment
  • Toontown Trolley Tour Simulator (maybe)

So now you just have to decide on what you'd like the restaurant to be, and what exactly the dark ride would look like.

Anywho, see you do have ideas! :lol:

Edit: You also don't like the idea of an indoor Toontown, or a preshow for a Toontown-like attraction.

lol *slow clap, stands and applauds* the point ive exactly tried to make lol.

mharrington

Original Poster

I think the restaurant will be based on the House of Mouse restaurant. I know we would have to have an actual staff and it would be done somewhat differently than on the real show, but given what kind of show that is, I think it can easily become the ultimate in character dining. However, there's just one problem: the show is no longer on the air. That's partially because the show gained a bigger following from established Disney fans than from the general public. So what about that?

As for the dark ride, it will be a huge E-ticket water thrill ride to rival Splash Mountain (and taking roller coaster technology from nearby Sea World's Journey To Atlantis). It's themed to "Fantasia" and its exterior and queue will be housed inside the Toontown Theatre. Maybe the queue could be adorned with various posters of the film's various releases over the years.

comics101

I think the restaurant will be based on the House of Mouse restaurant. I know we would have to have an actual staff and it would be done somewhat differently than on the real show, but given what kind of show that is, I think it can easily become the ultimate in character dining. However, there's just one problem: the show is no longer on the air. That's partially because the show gained a bigger following from established Disney fans than from the general public. So what about that?

As for the dark ride, it will be a huge E-ticket water thrill ride to rival Splash Mountain (and taking roller coaster technology from nearby Sea World's Journey To Atlantis). It's themed to "Fantasia" and its exterior and queue will be housed inside the Toontown Theatre. Maybe the queue could be adorned with various posters of the film's various releases over the years.

I don't think the fact that the show isn't as popular as it could be is that big of a problem...it's such a wonderful concept I don't think anyone would care much that they don't have any sort of connection to it.

As for the dark ride, I love it! That sounds fantastic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom