A lower attendance future for WDW?

DisneyHead123

It’s been a long time since the exchange rate was in our favour.

Put it this way, the airfares from the US to Europe are about half what we pay to come over to the US. There are, or were, low cost airlines for those who could travel at off peak times but some have already gone out of business or permanently axed transatlantic flights, and I’d be surprised if any survive.
That's too bad, where are you coming from? I feel like whenever I order anything from overseas and see the exchange rate I'm always like "Oh come ON, seriously?!" because I know I'm going to be paying more, ha ha.

GimpYancIent

The times I did not mind crowds at either DL or WDW were during the run Disney events. The flow of the crowd was all in the same direction and we all had the same basic goal.

jt04

it’s complicated.

the thing about 60,000 employees is that most are minimum paid/skilled entry level with no hope of advancement...but they have to be full time.

that’s rare. Where else to you need that kinda workforce on one plot of real estate?

the point is if they needed 70,000...it would be hard to sustain/maintain...not without much higher premiums that won’t be tolerated.

once phase 3 was complete...DAK area...labor became a real concern that doesn’t get much attention.

Florida voting to increase the minimum wage will force TWDC to streamline wdw operations. Shorter regular operating hours daily but more high priced separate ticket events. Reservations and apps to make it all work.

IMO.

Kman101

I know some say it's a 'bunch of crap' they want to cap attendance, but you don't understand the amount of guest complaints about crowding. Something has to give (and they clearly dislike expanding footprints of their existing parks, which would help, but then also not help lol). I believe they LOVE having reservations in place. I believe it's something they've wanted for a long time. They can get money out of you. Upcharges, selling the parks twice, raising ticket/annual pass/party prices, charging for a version of Fast/MaxPass, etc.

They love having the excuse of cutting back. They know they have you/us and they know they have potential high bookings in the future. They can easily rest on spending money and take YOUR money. I worried they'd go this route and they are. Meanwhile, Universal and even Disneyland are like "heeeeeyyyyy we want to spend money".

And no, they don't really care what the park down the street does. If they did we'd have assurance on investments and at least one nighttime show. They want to save money. Period.

Not defending them in anyway, I just see it for how it is. It stinks. WDW *always* panics when the going gets tough. They've had this mindset for like 20 years now. It's like an island on itself compared to the other resorts and competition. Resting on their laurels got them into the mess they're in now. LOL.

Again, the mindset is, we know you're coming so why spend to entice you? The other parks 'get it'. WDW is stuck in the 90s.

Last edited:

Kman101

Absolutely. Summer is becoming dead at WDW. They need to think of a way to pull people back. October shouldn’t be busier than July but it is now.

They did it to themselves, adding Halloween parties in August to kill that dead period. And the weather is just ungodly in June/July/August/September. People would much rather travel during Halloween parties and Food and Wine. I usually avoid this period LOL.

Jrb1979

They did it to themselves, adding Halloween parties in August to kill that dead period. And the weather is just ungodly in June/July/August/September. People would much rather travel during Halloween parties and Food and Wine. I usually avoid this period LOL.
I am from the Northeast and I would never to to Florida in the Summer. We have just as good weather here and there is lots to do close to home for cheaper for a vacation

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am from the Northeast and I would never to to Florida in the Summer. We have just as good weather here and there is lots to do close to home for cheaper for a vacation

I used to think that...but I’ve softened that stance over the years. I’ve found the crowds to be more manageable...so that’s an incentive to go.

jt04

Nah...that’s low iq political fodder.

they WILL streamline...but they don’t have to. Red herring

"They'll have to" wasn't meant to be taken in the literal sense. Rather the will "have to" to meet the expectations of investors and consumers alike. I forgot I need to keep things less abstract when addressing you.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
We did June into July, back in 2013 and I remember being in stormalong pool after every day in the parks, wearing tank tops and my nephews having those WDW fans.

Jrb1979

I used to think that...but I’ve softened that stance over the years. I’ve found the crowds to be more manageable...so that’s an incentive to go.
I used to think that way. It's not the crowds that bother me. The last time I was at MK I left feeling very underwhelmed. None of the attractions blew me away. I had fun but not $120 worth of fun. This may come across as blasphemous here but I had a lot more fun at Universal over a week then 1 day at Disney.
I think part of that is being able to go at my own pace and do as I please.

nickys

Premium Member
So you do 'gain' at least some money when traveling to the US, right? Google says that at the moment you'd get 1.37 dollars for every pound. Or does the cost of things in the US eat up that difference?
30 years ago the exchange rate was almost 2 dollars to the pound, now it’s down to more like 1.25 dollars to the pound. Sterling buys a lot less than it used to. It used to be well worth it to buy clothes, CDs etc even paying the tax when we got back. Not so much for the last decade or more.

Looks like it’s rallied again now but that’s not much use to us. It looks as if it’ll be at least October before we’ll be allowed to travel again.

But some things, like flights, are much more expensive here. No exchange rate is going to change that. Pre-Covid flights during school holiday periods were around $1000- $1200 and that was a good deal. Friends in the US were booking flights to Europe for $600-$700.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I used to think that way. It's not the crowds that bother me. The last time I was at MK I left feeling very underwhelmed. None of the attractions blew me away. I had fun but not $120 worth of fun. This may come across as blasphemous here but I had a lot more fun at Universal over a week then 1 day at Disney.
I think part of that is being able to go at my own pace and do as I please.

I tend to be the opposite.
A few days may be more enjoyable at universal...but since the restaurants generally suck and they are more “amusement” style rides...a get more out of a week at wdw

30 years ago the exchange rate was almost 2 dollars to the pound, now it’s down to more like 1.25 dollars to the pound. Sterling buys a lot less than it used to. It used to be well worth it to buy clothes, CDs etc even paying the tax when we got back. Not so much for the last decade or more.

Looks like it’s rallied again now but that’s not much use to us. It looks as if it’ll be at least October before we’ll be allowed to travel again.

But some things, like flights, are much more expensive here. No exchange rate is going to change that. Pre-Covid flights during school holiday periods were around $1000- $1200 and that was a good deal. Friends in the US were booking flights to Europe for $600-$700.
$1.37 is a horrible exchange rate...but I think that’s a sign of the future

SteveAZee

We have quit going to disney, and it's definitely not the cost.
We have gone to WDW yearly or more for years with extended family and by ourselves.
But we have quit going and are one of those families that are voting with their money. The reason? Not the price increases. It is the decline of "show" for the CM's, the loss of attractions or changes to them, the loss of "freebies" that used to make us feel special and actually wanted by disney. The little extras that made the trip special. Now the hours are cut for normal day trippers. If you want to stay in the evening, then it's an add-on cost. We have never done the extra events, not because we can't afford them, but because of the fact that evenings used to be included in the cost of a daily ticket. There is so much that has been taken away that changed our minds. So, it's not the money. The money is not an issue for most in this society as they just use their credit cards and pay them off later. But I think the changes in the perception of the "brand" of disney is what will hurt them in the long run. IMO!
It seems like a couple of these problems can be solved with money... the lack of 'freebies' and paying for the hard-ticketed night time events. Perhaps it's the principle of it rather than the $?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom