A Glass Slipper Trip Report

ChristaH

Original Poster
I've been pretty much absent here for a while. My training this year has been not so great, with some nagging Achilles and hip flexor pain, so I've done more resting than running. But I was determined to get that Glass Slipper medal and doing a runDisney race reminded me how awesome you guys are!

I arrived in Orlando late Wednesday night, staying at Boardwalk with my daughter and son-in-law. The plan was to run the 10K with my SIL, my sister and my 11yo niece, then do the half by myself. I got up Thursday morning, really glad I wasn't doing the 5K because it was about 30 degrees and that is just too cold for this Louisiana girl! We had planned to all meet up at the expo around 4 that afternoon, but I really wanted a hoodie this year and I knew with it being so cold everything with long sleeves would be gone by then. So I made a quick trip over to the expo and picked up a few things. (Note: the official merchandise in women's sizes ran VERY small....like almost two sizes small). Then back to Boardwalk to transfer from my kids' room to my room, then to the studios for ToT and RnRC. After all that running around, my Achilles was starting to ache, plantar fascia was feeling swollen and I knew I was in trouble. That is when I remembered @Sumrdog and her trip report about getting KT tape on her foot, and I noticed that morning that the KT line was not too long. So I headed back over to the expo and had it taped up. IMMEDIATE relief! That stuff was magic, especially the support it gave the plantar fascia. I would not have made it through the weekend without it, so thanks for that, Sumrdog!

Most of my family is local to Orlando so we all met up at Ohana for dinner, which was great fun!

Saturday morning was still pretty cool....around 45 degrees so we bundled up and headed out. I had planned to run the first 30 minutes or so then do 4/1 run walk. But I was feeling pretty good and figured no matter what I did on Saturday, I was going to be miserable on Sunday, so I might as well enjoy it and run while I could. It was my niece's first 10K so she set the pace for my SIL and sister, while I was a couple of minutes behind them. She finished 24th out of 127 in the 13 and under age group, so she was pretty proud of herself! My SIL received many complements on the camo tutu I made for him and he wore it all day through Magic Kingdom!

Sunday was much warmer and 100% humidity and was in full sun for much of the morning. I did 2:48 in the half January 2014 and hoped to stay under 3:00 with my lack of training this year, would be happy with under 3:15. I did much better managing hydration this year and took full advantage of all the water stops. I finished in 3:04. My mom and daughter were just past the finish line and brought my 10k medal to me. So I had all three medals in my official Glass Slipper photo, which turned out nice.

It was all around a great weekend. I pushed through and finished what I started, so I'm happy about that. I'll take a week or so to recover then try to be serious about the stretch-and-strengthen program from my PT. I'm motivated again now to get back in better shape. I'm not sure I'll do another Disney race next year, but definitely again in the future. And I hope to pop in here more often because you guys really are the best!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom