Pre-Trip A Dopey Dream (with some race updates)

Hi everyone. Having been inspired by lots of new trip reports lately, and with only two weeks to go until mine, I’ve decided to take the plunge and share my upcoming holiday with you.

The travelling party this time will be myself Sharon, my husband Darren, our two youngest daughters, Alice 12 and Lexi 10.
We live in the not quite so magical MK, Milton Keynes UK, and try to visit the more magical version at least once a year. We’ve been DVC members since 2006.

This is us on our last visit in February this year, Lexi with me, Alice with Darren.

92F340EC-0D14-4E02-950C-93EEA20D016B.jpeg
493DA433-6C7D-483F-B0D4-A6742BAA412E.jpeg

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
Happy Christmas Eve, although it’s almost Christmas Day in the UK, Santa is currently dropping off presents here according to NORAD.

So a few more plans

Friday 3rd January

It’s early EMH at Magic Kingdom so planning on Fantasyland first, with a stop at Gaston’s for breakfast cinnamon buns. FP+ for Big Thunder, Pirates and Jungle Cruise.

Then Crystal Palace for lunch because

77887007-782A-47DB-A673-3C3901A65D9F.jpeg
158DA87B-4DE5-4503-AE2F-A7A996B22CDB.jpeg

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤ Piglet.

Alice and Lexi are growing out of the character meals now, so all of the ones this time are for me.

See how we feel about more time at Magic Kingdom, then probably head off to Port Orleans Riverside to watch Bob’s show.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
With only 5 days to go (4 till we go to the airport), I think this is the most disorganised I’ve ever been leading up to a holiday. The combination of Christmas and crazy amount of training hasn’t given me much time to get things done. Only filled in my online cruise check in 2 days ago, and just remembered this morning to place a Garden Grocer order. So decided to miss the short training run today and start getting the packing sorted.

Writing the plans down here is helping, so:

Saturday 4th January

Another early morning run today, followed by a day at Animal Kingdom. Lunch is at Tiffins, FP+ for Na’vi River Journey, Kilimanjaro Safari and Expedition Everest.

Late afternoon heading to Epcot, probably grab a QS dinner then staying for Epcot Forever.

Sunday 5th January

Breakfast at The Wave. We tried this for the first time back in February and really enjoyed it. And because no characters, quite reasonably priced for a Disney buffet.

Then Magic Kingdom with FP+ for Seven Dwarfs, Peter Pan and Buzz Lightyear.

Early dinner at Skipper’s Canteen then staying for Happily Ever After.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
The last of the pre race plans:

Monday 6th January

This is our first Hollywood Studios day, and the only one we can make an early start to so really hoping it goes according to plan.

At the moment it’s showing an 8am opening so plan to get there about 7.30 to be ready to try and get a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance. Obviously be watching out for any changes to opening times. Alice is a huge Star Wars fan so will be very disappointed if we don’t get to ride. Then plan to go straight over to ride Smugglers Run.

FP+ for Slinky Dog, Star Tours and Muppets (couldn’t think of anything else to book and it’s quite an early one so probably will let it expire so I can book something else)

Lunch at 50’s Prime Time then a mid afternoon ADR at Oga’s Cantina.

It looks like it’s the last showing of Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam, so we might stay for this unless the early morning has got to us.

Tuesday 7th January

Last early morning run before the races start. Then off to Epcot.

FP+ for Soarin, Living with the Land and Mission:SPACE.

Lunch at Le Cellier.

Last edited:

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
So now onto the running plans

Wednesday 8th January: Race Expo

The only definite plan we have for this day is an 8am breakfast at Olivia’s over at Old Key West. We’ve eaten there a few times when we’ve stayed at that resort and find it a very relaxing start to the day.

Then get a bus to Wide World of Sports for bib pickup and some shopping.

As it’s my first time there, and I’ve read that there can be very long queues for everything, I have no idea how much time to allocate. So have left the rest of the day open so I don’t feel rushed. Probably a good idea to have quite a chilled day before my first race anyway. If the weather’s good we might relax by the pool or even go to a waterpark (I think it’s only Typhoon Lagoon that’s open).

Then an early night in preparation for a very early start the next day.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
Thursday 9th January: 5k

Up at silly o’clock this morning, the race starts at 5.30 and buses start running at 3.30. I get quite anxious if I think I might be late for things so I will be ready for the first bus. Hopefully running an easy race will help with any nerves before the bigger races.

Planning on taking it pretty slow and just taking in the atmosphere, hopefully stopping for some photos.

The 5k medal is Pluto themed, so after the race meeting the family at Chef Mickey’s for breakfast to show Pluto my medal.

Then off to Magic Kingdom. FP+ for Seven Dwarfs, Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder and a late lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern.

Friday 10th January: 10k

Again a 3.30 bus for a 5.30 race start. And another easy paced race stopping for photos.

Then heading over to Animal Kingdom to meet the family for breakfast at Tusker House. The 10k medal is Oswald themed and wasn’t sure how to theme the character meal, so just went with Mickey.

FP+ for Flight of Passage, Kilimanjaro Safaris and Dinosaur.

Still need a plan for a late lunch for this day, need to make sure I eat properly during the races.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
Saturday 11th January: Half Marathon and Alice’s 13th birthday

Another 5.30 race start but this time the buses start running at 3.00. This is the race I really need to make sure I take it super easy on. Pacing requirements allow for about 3.5 hours from the back of H, the last starting corral. I’m in corral C so will get an extra time buffer on top of that, meaning if I wanted to I could pretty much walk the whole thing. Probably will still run but at much slower pace and with plenty of walk breaks and photo stops.

I think the family will come and watch me finish this race, as it won’t be such an early start for them. Then off to Cape May Cafe for breakfast to show Donald my medal.

As it’s Alice’s birthday she had the choice of what to do for the day and she chose Hollywood Studios. Not a chance of Rise of the Resistance, but hopefully we can queue for Smugglers Run.

FP+ for Rock n Roller Coaster, Star Tours and another early throwaway one. Late lunch at Hollywood Brown Derby.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
Sunday 12th January: The Marathon

To say I’m nervous about this is the biggest understatement ever. If someone had told me a few years ago that I would even think about running a marathon, I would have laughed at them. But I’m doing it. I’ve trained so hard for this, pretty much completely giving up any relaxation at weekends. But I’ve enjoyed the training and have liked having something to focus on. And there is nowhere in the world that I would rather be doing this.

So the marathon starts a bit earlier than the other races, at 5.00. Buses are supposed to start running at 2.30 so I will try to get on one of the first ones. Again corral C, but this is the race I will try to run my best in. Hopefully will have got lots of photos in the earlier races so not planning on stopping this time. There are pacers in the corrals so may try and keep up for as long as I can. I have an idea of the time I would like to do, but will keep that to myself for now.

The family are planning to support me along the route. They will definitely be in Magic Kingdom and then maybe at the boardwalk. I think it might be a bit of a rush for them to get from the boardwalk to the finish in Epcot parking lot, but I’ve got to run around World Showcase first so they might make it.

Then possibly tears, hopefully I’ll wait till the finish for those (I did actually cry during my first half marathon because my legs decided to stop working). Then hopefully feeling amazing for the big achievement (I WILL FINISH even if I have to walk the last few miles)

Afterwards I will hobble into Epcot. We have lunch at Akershus so that I can show Snow White my Dopey medal. I know princesses aren’t guaranteed, so I really hope she’s there.

FP+ for Frozen, Living with the Land and Spaceship Earth (only gentle rides today, and there is a possibility I may nap on them)

Then back to the room to pack for the cruise the next day

MickeyCB

This is our first Hollywood Studios day, and the only one we can make an early start to so really hoping it goes according to plan.

At the moment it’s showing an 8am opening so plan to get there about 7.30 to be ready to try and get a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance. Obviously be watching out for any changes to opening times. Alice is a huge Star Wars fan so will be very disappointed if we don’t get to ride. Then plan to go straight over to ride Smugglers Run.
First just WOW with your energy and superior planning skills!!
And on the RotR, (I apologize if you already know all of this), but I've been following the thread on here regarding getting the boarding passes, and the critical thing seems to be making sure you are in the park (through the turnstyles) before they release the boarding groups. And then maniacally opening the MDE app, hitting join boarding group, adding your family and then hoping you win the BG lottery!

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
First just WOW with your energy and superior planning skills!!
And on the RotR, (I apologize if you already know all of this), but I've been following the thread on here regarding getting the boarding passes, and the critical thing seems to be making sure you are in the park (through the turnstyles) before they release the boarding groups. And then maniacally opening the MDE app, hitting join boarding group, adding your family and then hoping you win the BG lottery!
Thanks, I’ve been trying to keep up with the info but there’s pages of it and I haven’t had the time lately. Park opening has now been moved forward to 7 that day so I guess it’s another early morning.

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
And the final bit of planning requires pretty much no planning:

Monday 13th January: Cruise day

We have Disney transportation booked which doesn’t usually leave until midday, so a nice easy morning and leisurely breakfast.

Then once we’re onboard the ship, no idea just do whatever we feel like. It will probably involve vast amounts of food because I will have burned a lot of calories over race weekend. And adult drinks.

Tuesday 14th January: Nassau day

We’ve never got off the ship in Nassau, and have no plans to do so this time. Just plan on relaxing and enjoying the ship.

Wednesday 15th January: Castaway Cay day

All of us will be running the 5k. I’ll probably be shuffling along at the back, but I imagine Alice will be going all out to try and win. She’s pretty fast, but doesn’t do well if it’s too hot, so we’ll see.

Then more relaxing.

Thursday 16th January: Sea day

Yep, more relaxing.

Friday 17th January 😢

Bus to airport and home. Even though we have quite long trips, I’m never ready for leaving day.

So that’s all the plans. We’re leaving for the airport this afternoon, so I’ve got some last minute packing to do. I’ll try to post some liveish bits and then hopefully write a trip report when we get back.

LisaBelle

Have a great time! I have never been a runner, but trained for and ran the Princess 5k in 2016. It was one of the best life experiences I’ve ever had! Expo was very crowded, but my sister and I enjoyed shopping there. Relaxing on the cruise after all the park and race excitement sounds like a perfect plan to me. Good luck in the races. 🤞🏻you are able to join a boarding group for RotR! Safe travels! I will be following!

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
So today was the the first day of the race expo, and we went along to pick up my bibs. Found out I’ve made a bit of a mistake with the Castaway Cay challenge. I just assumed I would be running the usual 5k round the island so I signed the rest of the family up online with DCL thinking we could all run together. But it turns out that the challenge race is separate and starts at 7 in the morning, meeting at 5.45 on the ship. I’m not keen on getting up that early on a cruise, but I’ll have to to get the extra medal (that I’ve paid for). And if I want to run with the family, I’ll have to run the 5k twice.

meggo819

I hadn't seen this PTR before, but good luck to you this weekend!

The Disney World marathon is on my bucket list, but right now I'm in the "having kids phase of life" (2nd due in April :D). I've only dappled in jogging in the past and run a few 5ks, so I love hearing that you didn't take up running until a little later in life -- gives me hope that I can still accomplish this goal once I'm done having kids!

Piglet_the_brave

Original Poster
I hadn't seen this PTR before, but good luck to you this weekend!

The Disney World marathon is on my bucket list, but right now I'm in the "having kids phase of life" (2nd due in April :D). I've only dappled in jogging in the past and run a few 5ks, so I love hearing that you didn't take up running until a little later in life -- gives me hope that I can still accomplish this goal once I'm done having kids!
Thanks.

I’ve found marathon training requires a lot of commitment and I don’t think I could have done it while mine were little. And even though sometimes I wish I’d started sooner, I’m enjoying the ‘me time’ of running without any guilt. And I intend to carry on as long as I can. There’s a lady at my daughters’ running club who is in her eighties and still having a go at all the track events. I want to be like her.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom