A Disney Retirement Community???

Disnee4Me

Original Poster
Haven't posted or been on this site in months. But just yesterday I was reading that Jimmy Buffet has partnered with an organization to build Margaritaville themed 55+ retirement communities, starting with the first one in Daytona Beach. I could just imagined everyone running around there drinking margaritas!!
Anyhow, can you imagine how cool it would be to retire in a Disney themed retirement community, with a Main Street USA entrance and streets like Pluto Place and Dopey Drive? It would be cool to have a clubhouse, golf course, tennis courts, pools, etc.
And of course, complimentary transportation to the parks, if it was built within a ten mile radius of WDW.

KrzyKtty

Haven't posted or been on this site in months. But just yesterday I was reading that Jimmy Buffet has partnered with an organization to build Margaritaville themed 55+ retirement communities, starting with the first one in Daytona Beach. I could just imagined everyone running around there drinking margaritas!!
Anyhow, can you imagine how cool it would be to retire in a Disney themed retirement community, with a Main Street USA entrance and streets like Pluto Place and Dopey Drive? It would be cool to have a clubhouse, golf course, tennis courts, pools, etc.
And of course, complimentary transportation to the parks, if it was built within a ten mile radius of WDW.
My entire retirement would revolve around Disney! Take my money lol!

zurgandfriend

I have heard stories that Walt wanted a retirement community on property at WDW way back when with the idea that families would visit grandparents and come to the parks etc. It was nixed as people living on property would have voting rights to new construction, additions etc. This may be an urban legend but I have heard it mentioned in the past.

MickeyMomV

There is a "retirement" community already. Its called Golden Oak at Walt Disney World. To say its not cheap would be the under statement of the century. At the same point though Disney is not going to let property go without the ability to make a killing on it. There is an opportunity cost to everything they do. Selling off 1/4 of an acre to make $100,000 - $200,000 would not be the smartest move on their part.

disney4life2008

Idk that would have been true through the early 2000s. I remember it would be a ton of older people and retireees just enjoying Disney. But in present day there are alot of young families. I think its a good idea but i could do the same thing for less by just living in Orlando

lazyboy97o

How would this be substantially different than Celebration or Golden Oak?

I have heard stories that Walt wanted a retirement community on property at WDW way back when with the idea that families would visit grandparents and come to the parks etc. It was nixed as people living on property would have voting rights to new construction, additions etc. This may be an urban legend but I have heard it mentioned in the past.
EPCOT would have required all residents to be working somewhere within Disney World.

Otterhead

As others mentioned, you literally described Golden Oak, right down to the complimentary transportation; it's right around the corner from Magic Kingdom. Many of the homes have "fireworks viewing" porches. If you've got a few million dollars burning a hole in your pocket, you can move there!

mouse_luv

Sign me up!
g1323780500380022877.jpg

Disnee4Me

Original Poster
OK, I know about Golden Oaks, but how about a more affordable version of it? Just condos for say $200,000-$300,000, so you could sell your home up north (like me) and afford to live there?:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom