A cheap motel turned out to be a surprising gem.

Kramerica

Original Poster
I just got back from my latest Disneyland trip. Ordinarily, I insist on staying on property. I've stayed at all three on site resorts several times each, they're all great. I've also found myself off property a couple of times. I've stayed at the Hojo, the Fairfield by Mariott, and some other hotel a couple miles away that I had no choice of staying at for a night because a marathon had booked up all the other rooms on resort and on Harbor. This last trip was planned to be at Paradise Pier, my second favorite resort. But sadly due to a couple friends who had to cancel last minute, I had to find somewhere else to stay to make the trip affordable with less people. And soon.

I found the "Park Vue Inn" It had vacancy. And it was cheap. The best thing about it was how close it was. It's directly across the street from the Disneyland Harbor crosswalk entrance. Literally a straight line, across the street into the park from the hotel. Amazing. I looked up some reviews of the place and overall they seemed good! I booked it, not expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised.

In addition to the close proximity to the parks, I would argue the second closest of any of the the hotels, right behind Grand Californian, the rooms were large. Well lit. Seemed very clean. Well stocked with things like a larger sized fridge, Coffee machine, high quality toiletries, new tile in the bathroom. Everything smelled fresh and well taken care of. The beds weren't anything to die for, but I certainly slept soundly on them. Dark curtains able to let you sleep in as late as you need. A near over abundance of USB ports and outlets all over the room in convenient places. Free, fast wifi. Powerful air conditioning able to keep the room colder than even this Pacific Northwest native finds tolerable. Powerful water pressure, you name it. It even offers a free breakfast every morning for guests which, while we never took advantage of, looked very good! Hot waffles. Sausage. Muffins. Cereal. Standard fare, but included at cost. Only one thing that bothered me, along with most other trip advisor reviews that I read up on. The noise, specifically from the balcony outside seems to be an actual issue. The air conditioner featured a "fan always on" mode which produced enough white noise for me to drown most of it out. But if you're a light sleeper, this must be considered.

Also keep in mind that I'm focusing on just our room. The grounds, which well kept and cared for, obviously seemed dated. The pool, while clean, was quite small. The gift shop and attached Cold Stone ice cream seemed particularly tacky. Although I did stop in the gift shop nearly every morning for an energy drink. The gym consisted of three treadmills and the lobby was the size of our room. Friendly staff manning the desk though!

All this for the price of 119 a night on the weeknights I was there and 129 a night on the weekend nights. For what I got, a very comfortable, safe port in the storm, ridiculously close to the magic, with several included amenities, I considered this a steal. I'm willing to include some pictures for those who are interested, but quite frankly, they're after we had made a mess of the room and wouldn't be fair. Just let me know if you'd still like that. But to someone who's a local, thinking a weekend getaway close to the parks, or maybe someone who's on a tight budget, willing to stay just outside the magic, don't hesitate in checking this place out. Was very happy with it.

Californian Elitist

That Cold Stone was one of my good friends when I worked at Disneyland. Nothing like a cup of cake batter ice cream after a long day at work dealing with entitled guests and annoying management.

Anyways, thanks for your review. Staying onsite is rarely, if not never an option for me because I live about 25-35 minutes away in Los Angeles, and I'm not willing to pony up hundreds of dollars for a room when my actual room is not far away. If I do decide to spend the night in Anaheim, I gladly pay for an offsite hotel. The ones directly across the street from the parks are good options, from my experience.

truecoat

I wonder how the rates will be affected by the change of entrance. Technically you can still get in across the street but you'll have to cross up the street at Manchester. Courtyard, HOJO, Holiday Inn express etc. will be closer hotels to the entrance after the change.

Darkbeer1

IMHO, not much, you could head north to Manchester, or south to Disney Way and the new Main Pedestrian Entrance.

Heck, the Park Vue does have plans to once again upgrade its property. It will be just fine, just like the HoJo's is today.

ght

I wonder how the rates will be affected by the change of entrance. Technically you can still get in across the street but you'll have to cross up the street at Manchester. Courtyard, HOJO, Holiday Inn express etc. will be closer hotels to the entrance after the change.
Is this confirmed to be true? I thought initially Disney said that the cross walk for the hotels across the street would be unaffected.

Darkbeer1

Is this confirmed to be true? I thought initially Disney said that the cross walk for the hotels across the street would be unaffected.

There is a very detailed thread here on the subject.

Based on what has been let out, and of course, subject to change.

The crosswalk at Manchester, next to HoJo's will remain available to cross to the west side of Harbor.

But then almost everywhere else will be forced to use the new Pedestrian Bridge off of Disney Way. And that the current main Pedestrian crosswalk will be removed and sealed off (median) when the actual project is finished in 2 to 3 years.

PalisadesPkteer

There is a very detailed thread here on the subject.

Based on what has been let out, and of course, subject to change.

The crosswalk at Manchester, next to HoJo's will remain available to cross to the west side of Harbor.

But then almost everywhere else will be forced to use the new Pedestrian Bridge off of Disney Way. And that the current main Pedestrian crosswalk will be removed and sealed off (median) when the actual project is finished in 2 to 3 years.
I guess then that Anaheim Plaza Hotel will be the place to be in the future. Just stayed there for my trip in December 2015.

Darkbeer1

Well, now the Anaheim Plaza is in the news, as a local Union has filed enough signatures (it looks like, still be validated) to force the city council to either revoke the tax "rebate" for the new 4-star Hotel that is to be built there, or place it on the ballot for the citizens toapprove (or deny) the break.

Never boring here in Anaheim.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom