A Californian looking for some help

Chuckyg805

hello, I am considering a trip with my family to Walt Disney World and after hearing a few horror stories I'm looking to get all the advice I can before I make any reservations.

Let me tell you a little about my family, there are four of us (the youngest is twelve but can sometimes have a hard time due to moisture and cold in the air causing inflammation in the legs) all of us are Disney buffs, who yearly take three days in spring to visit both Disneyland and California Adventure. When we are in the parks we usually take them at a pretty fast pace as to get the most attractions in a day possible. We also tend to eat mostly snacks (the corn dog for breakfast, bangle bar b que for lunch, and usually a the main street café for dinner, along with the occasional Popcorn or ice cream bar) also because several of us have a hard time moving around we typically rent ECVs to help us not have to deal with pain. I haven't got a bdget worked out yet, but I was thinking a late December visit as We would want to spend Christmas as well as a birthday that occurs in the same week at the resort.

My questions are as follows:

How much would say, a week at a Disney resort typically cost me as far as things like food, and maybe a stay at a moderate resort?

Which resort has the best (by which I mean most curious, timely, and effective) staff?

what is the travel between the parks, and hotels like? Which hotel has the best transport to and from?

I've heard of families taking mid-day breaks, should I make that a plan for the time of year I'm looking into?

Is the Disney dining plan worth the money?

what rides are must do? What rides are better in the Florida parks compared to the California parks?

what are the best tips you can give to a first timer?

Thanks for your help.

CAPTAIN HOOK

My questions are as follows:

How much would say, a week at a Disney resort typically cost me as far as things like food, and maybe a stay at a moderate resort?

Which resort has the best (by which I mean most curious, timely, and effective) staff?

what is the travel between the parks, and hotels like? Which hotel has the best transport to and from?

I've heard of families taking mid-day breaks, should I make that a plan for the time of year I'm looking into?

what rides are must do? What rides are better in the Florida parks compared to the California parks?

Thanks for your help.
1) Welcome aboard
2) The cost of your stay has too many variables to answer here - When you go, what type of room you choose, even down to meal types (quick service, table service or snacks), how often you eat etc etc etc. Go online - choose different weeks for your trip and compare prices of the moderates. Look at the menu prices of the different restaurants
3) All staff are human and are trained to Disney standards - you will find one or to having the occasional bad day - the rest are brilliant
4) Hotels are scattered across WDW. Some are nearer to some parks than others. All are serviced by the Disney bus system. Some have boats and some monorail connections. Transport links are generally very good.
5) Midday breaks will be based upon your own personal circumstances. We have never found the need to do one
6) Depends on how often and how much you eat - look at the menu prices
7) Look at The Unofficial Guide
8) Keep asking questions :)

Upvote 0

Chuckyg805

Original Poster
1) Welcome aboard
2) The cost of your stay has too many variables to answer here - When you go, what type of room you choose, even down to meal types (quick service, table service or snacks), how often you eat etc etc etc. Go online - choose different weeks for your trip and compare prices of the moderates. Look at the menu prices of the different restaurants
3) All staff are human and are trained to Disney standards - you will find one or to having the occasional bad day - the rest are brilliant
4) Hotels are scattered across WDW. Some are nearer to some parks than others. All are serviced by the Disney bus system. Some have boats and some monorail connections. Transport links are generally very good.
5) Midday breaks will be based upon your own personal circumstances. We have never found the need to do one
6) Depends on how often and how much you eat - look at the menu prices
7) Look at The Unofficial Guide
8) Keep asking questions :)

Thanks, what I should have asked for 4 is which Moderate resort would you recommend, and why? Also I was hearing about long wait times for the transit service, especially when you have to wait for a second bus, which gets so filled it becomes a standing room only ride to the park. Is the monorail a better option for the Resorts that have it?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Thanks, what I should have asked for 4 is which Moderate resort would you recommend, and why? Also I was hearing about long wait times for the transit service, especially when you have to wait for a second bus, which gets so filled it becomes a standing room only ride to the park. Is the monorail a better option for the Resorts that have it?

Thanks again.
I've only stayed at one moderate - Port Orleans French Quarter. We've stayed there twice and loved it. It is half the size of Riverside and therefore half the number of guests.
Disney buses are no different to the buses in your local town or city. They run as many as they can during the morning and evening busy times with a good service the rest of the day. If you miss one you're going to have to wait. If its busy the chances are you'll have to stand. If you board the bus at the first stop at your resort then that increases your chances of a seat. The transport is free so that softens the blow, or you can take your own car and park at the parks for free if you're a resort guest.
Monorails - not necessarily. If you stay at Grand Floridian you're last on the loop before MK so others will be on it before you again increasing your chances of standing, but its only a short ride. Additionally the monorail resorts are Deluxe, thats quite a costly strategy just to try and get a seat to go to the parks

Upvote 0

Flippin'Flounder

Buses aren't that bad, I've never had to wait because a bus is too full, we always get on the first that arrives. For hotels, I suggest Port Orleans French Quarter.

Upvote 0

NonnaT

What PP said... However, I have heard that POR and POFQ are the best for transportation. The last several times we have gone though we have stayed at CBR because of the free dining offer. (It really helps financially). We love CBR, and always stay in Aruba. Since we have only gone once during high crowd levels, the buses have never been an issue... I have been to DL and CA, and WDW is HUGE by comparison. Some of the rides are eerily similar and some are unique to WDW. The week you're looking at coming (between Christmas and New Year's is very crowded and probably has no discounts. I too would get the book "Undercover Tourist" and begin perusing it. Good luck!

Upvote 0

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery - For my El Camino
Premium Member
Without knowing too much about your likes and dislikes it's hard to answer. Being somewhat of a local and visiting the parks about 8x a year for 3-4 nights a stay, I always have favorite resorts or at least locations based on time of year and what is going on at the parks. Late December is crazy both from a price and crowd perspective. Now that doesn't mean you won't have fun, just means you have to plan it out a bit. Use your FP

Which park are you most interested in visiting? What things are you wanting to experience? That is your starting point from there plan around that.

For me, In December it's always a trip to see the Osbourne lights and a walk around World Showcase (which I think has the best holiday ambience of all the parks). So I try to stay at the Dolphin or Swan. Now these are not owned by Disney, they are run by Sheraton and Westin respectively. So if you do have any credit card points you may be able to get value. You will give up DDP as it is not offered here and will also not be able to charge using your magic band as you will not get one (but you can buy one - the savings on the hotel will more than subsidize this). You will get the Disney transportation system and be able to take advantage of EMH. You can also walk to DHS and Epcot. But if mobility is a problem you can catch the ferries to each park which is right outside of the hotels. In addition you have the Boardwalk within walking distance (or ferry).

Food wise there are hidden treasures all over, without needing to splurge on a signature restaurant. Epcot has these in abundance and the other parks have their own but maybe a little harder to find. Though you will be able to get burgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches relatively easily. MK has the pot roast Mac n Cheese at the Friar's Nook as well as a few other unique signature items.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Do not go Christmas week! It is the most expensive and most crowded time of the year. First time visitors should avoid that week at all costs.

If seeing the holiday decorations is important to you, go in early December or plan to arrive on New Year's Day and stay the first week of January. Crowds during New Year's week are minimal, since everyone else has returned home.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Depends on which resort and what time of year. You can often get deals with free dining or room discounts.

Moderate: I like Coronado Springs we had the best bus service there, nice theming and pool area, and good food options.
Value: Pop Century decent bus service (it doesn't share like the All-Star Resorts) fun props around the resort, but the rooms are a little small.
Best Deluxe on a budget: Wilderness Lodge, great theme and has bus and boat (to the Magic Kingdom) service. Whispering Canyon is fun to eat at as well

Travel depends on your timing to the bus/boat/monorail stop, you may hit it right after transport has left or when it is arriving. I would say that most travel times once on the transport between hotels and parks can be between 10-15 (maybe 20) minutes.

My husband and I are big fans of the mid-day break, even at Disneyland. We go to park open, take a break and then stay until park close. I think if you have issues walking a mid-day break is a good idea to recharge, and if you are paying for a resort that is moderate or deluxe you'll probably want to enjoy some of their features.

It can be, depends on what, where, and how much you want to eat. I would suggest going onto the menus here or on allears and pricing out some meals. If you go when there is free dining then you might as well get it, but sometimes a room discount is offered and that is a better deal. Just be aware there are there are a couple different dining plans.

Magic Kingdom: Must do's : definitely do the things that aren't in California like 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Peoplemover, Monster's Laugh Floor, Philharmagic, (I would skip Stitch but then again it isn't in DL). Better than DL: Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion (kind of a tie there), Big Thunder (again a tie)

Epcot Must Do's: Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Mission Space, American Adventure, Livin' with the Land, Grand Fiesta Tour and Impressions de France. Soarin' as well but that is the same at DCA.

Hollywood Studios: Tower of Terror (much better than DCA), Great Movie Ride, Muppets (as it isn't in DCA anymore, and who doesn't love them!), a cupcake at Starring Rolls, Toy Story (same as DCA), and I suppose Rock and Roller Coaster

Animal Kingdom: Expedition Everest, Safaris, both jungle treks, Festival of the Lion King, and Finding Nemo Show

**** Stay on property: "free" transport to and from the airport, "free" transport to the parks, merchandise you buy will be shipped back to your resort for you, Extra Magic Hours, and you can and should make your ADR's 180+10 days in advance, and you can and should make your FP+'s earlier than non resort guests, and you don't leave the Disney bubble.
Research restaurants and snack and make a list.
Enjoy yourself, you can't do it all in a week.
Disney Springs/Downtown Disney is nice but if you don't want to shop or eat it isn't worth the trek out there.
The waterparks, and mini-golf are a nice break from the parks.
**And you may want to consider using a Disney travel agent to help you plan. I used Kingdom Konsultants last year to plan my cruise and WDW stay and they were very helpful. They even offered to make my dining reservations/ADR's for me (I declined because I like to do that myself.) The agent even let me know and rebooked me when a better offer popped up. The service is free too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LdyApxr

As a fellow Cali gal who has done DLR/CA Adv several times at Christmas, I would opt out of any more Christmas trips. Of course, my kids are 17 and 26 now but even when they were 7 and 16 and we did Christmas week at DLR, it was too crowded so much so that the parks stopped admitting visitors at certain points during the day due to regulations. No, no fun at all. Our first WDW trip is scheduled for May 2016(although that may change as noted in my other post in trip planning) to Oct 2016)

Upvote 0

Chuckyg805

Original Poster
wow you guys are great, I didn't expect to get this much advice in such a short amount of time. to answer some above questions, I was hoping for a 2015 visit, but I might do as scorp16 suggested and plan for early January (we have a superstition about traveling on New years anyways.)

What I meant when asking about cost was, what is the average (in your case) when it come to meals, and other expenses that are not souvenirs. that way if I don't go with dining plan I know how much money I should have on me.

we really would want to try and get all four parks without park hopping throughout the day. as stated above we usually eat more along the lines of quick service and snacks I ask about the dining plan more because I've never been anywhere near Florida, and I might have to convince my family to do more table service restaurants depending on the weather.

I was hoping to visit the world showcase and meet the different Santas from around the world. If they come in November maybe I might try for that time period.

sorry for all the back and forth with the time of year I'm going, I'd just like to figure the best time to experience at least some Christmas items, without breaking the bank, or getting trampled by crowds.

What else should a first time visitor (with no small children) be asking?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
If you go at Christmas....the holiday storytellers (not all are Santas) start after Thanksgiving, I think it is the day after. Also don't miss the Candlelight Processional, I would do a dining package with that to guarantee seating. Also, Mickey's Christmas party is fun even if you don't go with kids (hubby and I enjoy it and the festivities on its own). And the Osborne lights are a must as well.

You could do a different park each day and not park hop. Costs for food are similar to Disneyland in California. You can get by with just quick service as there are a lot of options and variety. But it is nice to do a couple sit down meals to relax a little.

Upvote 0

Chuckyg805

Original Poster
If you go at Christmas....the holiday storytellers (not all are Santas) start after Thanksgiving, I think it is the day after. Also don't miss the Candlelight Processional, I would do a dining package with that to guarantee seating. Also, Mickey's Christmas party is fun even if you don't go with kids (hubby and I enjoy it and the festivities on its own). And the Osborne lights are a must as well.

You could do a different park each day and not park hop. Costs for food are similar to Disneyland in California. You can get by with just quick service as there are a lot of options and variety. But it is nice to do a couple sit down meals to relax a little.
thanks, this is exactly the type of advice I'm looking for

Upvote 0

catmom46

Since you say you mostly snack throughout the day, I don't think the dining plan would be worth it for you, plus it's probably more food than you'd want. Even if you do some table service, you'll most likely pay less out of pocket.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom