Trip Report 8 Trips in 10 Years - A Decade of Disney

Hi! I am not usually one who likes to be in the spotlight. I don’t have any social media accounts and will often fade to the corner in a room filled with a lot of people. However, one of my favorite pastimes is reading Disney trip reports and watching other people’s videos of their Disney trips. Given this, I am going to document our upcoming trip to Disney World and hopefully provide some joy by allowing other Disney fans to live vicariously through our trip.

I mentioned “our” trip. Who else is going with me? My wife, Erica, will be joining me, of course! This will be our eighth Disney trip together:

July 2007: 7-night stay at Coronado Springs Resort
July 2009: 9-night stay at Coronado Springs Resort
July 2012: 9-night stay at Coronado Springs Resort
January 2013: 2-night stay at POP Century to run Disney Half Marathon followed by a 4-night cruise on the Disney Dream
July 2014: 9-night stay at Coronado Springs Resort
December 2014: 3-night trip to Disneyland Resort
December 2015: 4-night cruise on the Disney Magic (with Erica’s mom and our friend, Matt)
(upcoming) July 2017: Split stay (4-night stay at Coronado Springs Resort followed by a 5-night stay at Port Orleans French Quarter)
(upcoming) January 2018: 5-night stay at All-Star Sports for Marathon Weekend

IMG_1416.JPG

A 2007 trip photo at Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater

DSC05311.JPG
And here we are in 2014 at a Coronado Springs bus stop

I also went once when I was 7-years-old and my family stayed at the Polynesian.

Yes, we’re a little spoiled when it comes to Disney vacations.

A little about us. We are in our mid-to-late 30s with no kids and there is barely a day that goes by where we don’t discuss something Disney related. We currently live in Pennsylvania, but both are originally from upstate New York. As you can see above, we typically take our vacations in the summer due to both of us predominantly working in education fields. When we tell others we are heading to Disney World in July, we usually get strange looks. The heat doesn’t bother us, though. We spend enough time cooped up indoors during the winter that it feels good, even if there is a constant trickle (or stream!) of sweat running down your back.

IMG_0724.JPG

Here is an example of me trying to adapt to the heat in the Kilimanjaro Safari queue

How did our Disney fascination develop?
I was in Central Florida for work in the spring of 2005. During some downtime, and knowing nothing about Disney World, I ventured over to check it out. I ended up in the Boardwalk area and was thoroughly impressed. Thinking I might go check out Epcot if the admission was reasonable, I quickly turned away when I was told it was $67 to enter. If only I knew what a bargain that would be a dozen years later.

Fast forward one year and I am back in Florida on business again. I had done some research in the previous year and wanted to see Animal Kingdom Lodge in person. The moment I entered the lobby I became hooked on all things Disney. I couldn’t wait to show Erica. We started planning our first trip as soon as I got home. Erica knew nothing about Disney and was just happy to be going on vacation. I became obsessed with planning. Knowing we couldn’t do everything on that first trip, my goal was for us to return home and not say, “I wish we would have known about that. I would have rather done that than X.” That goal was accomplished.

DSC04611.JPG

Here I am in front of the Animal Kingdom Lodge lobby window

What’s Next?
As we have taken more vacations, our goals have changed. This summer will be our first Disney World trip in three years. We are excited to experience some of the new offerings since our last trip in 2014 and to revisit old ones. My goal, as always, is to sleep as little as possible on the trip and experience everything we can.

Some unique aspects of this summer’s trip will be experiencing some new dining locations (Tutto Italia, Garden Grill, Sanaa), and hopefully attending Chip and Dale’s Campfire Sing-a-Long at Fort Wilderness. We also have a fun challenge day planned in the middle of our trip.

We have fun on separate adventures before;will split up for our challenge. Our goal is to experience the same two attractions in each park in reverse order and see who completes the task first. Since I would skip meals to move along, we are required to take 20 minutes for a counter service meal at some point during the challenge.

Below is the challenge order for me. Erica’s is the same, just visiting the parks in an opposite order. The challenge starts in the morning at our bus stop at Port Orleans French Quarter. Any guesses on who wins? How long will it take? We are not yet sure where our finish line should be…the TTC or back at our resort? We do need to make sure we make it to our 6 p.m. reservation at Garden Grill.

Starting line: Bus stop at Port Orleans French Quarter
Hollywood Studios: Toy Story Midway Mania & Star Tours
Magic Kingdom: Peter Pan’s Flight (Erica’s Fastpass) & Pirates of the Caribbean
Epcot: Soarin’ (Todd’s Fastpass) & The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Animal Kingdom: Dinosaur and Kilimanjaro Safari
Finish line: TTC or Port Orleans French Quarter?

DSC02203.JPG

Erica with her favorite, Flynn Rider, and Rapunzel when we split up while I was on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour in 2012

We will be at Disney World until July 23. I hope to continue our actual trip report in this thread shortly after we return. Until then, happy planning of your own trips!

TABLE OF CONTENTS
- We're Back (posted July 30)
- Arrival Day (Part 1 of 2) (posted Aug. 6)
- Arrival Day (Part 2 of 2) (posted Aug. 7)

Last edited:

luvinthemajik

Hi! I am not usually one who likes to be in the spotlight. I don’t have any social media accounts and will often fade to the corner in a room filled with a lot of people. However, one of my favorite pastimes is reading Disney trip reports and watching other people’s videos of their Disney trips. Given this, I am going to document our upcoming trip to Disney World and hopefully provide some joy by allowing other Disney fans to live vicariously through our trip.

I mentioned “our” trip. Who else is going with me? My wife, Erica, will be joining me, of course! This will be our eighth Disney trip together:

July 2007: 7-night stay at Coronado Springs Resort
July 2009: 9-night stay at Coronado Springs Resort
July 2012: 9-night stay at Coronado Springs Resort
January 2013: 2-night stay at POP Century to run Disney Half Marathon followed by a 4-night cruise on the Disney Dream
July 2014: 9-night stay at Coronado Springs Resort
December 2014: 3-night trip to Disneyland Resort
December 2015: 4-night cruise on the Disney Magic (with Erica’s mom and our friend, Matt)
(upcoming) July 2017: Split stay (4-night stay at Coronado Springs Resort followed by a 5-night stay at Port Orleans French Quarter)
(upcoming) January 2018: 5-night stay at All-Star Sports for Marathon Weekend

View attachment 214374
A 2007 trip photo at Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater

View attachment 214378 And here we are in 2014 at a Coronado Springs bus stop

I also went once when I was 7-years-old and my family stayed at the Polynesian.

Yes, we’re a little spoiled when it comes to Disney vacations.

A little about us. We are in our mid-to-late 30s with no kids and there is barely a day that goes by where we don’t discuss something Disney related. We currently live in Pennsylvania, but both are originally from upstate New York. As you can see above, we typically take our vacations in the summer due to both of us predominantly working in education fields. When we tell others we are heading to Disney World in July, we usually get strange looks. The heat doesn’t bother us, though. We spend enough time cooped up indoors during the winter that it feels good, even if there is a constant trickle (or stream!) of sweat running down your back.

View attachment 214379
Here is an example of me trying to adapt to the heat in the Kilimanjaro Safari queue

How did our Disney fascination develop?
I was in Central Florida for work in the spring of 2005. During some downtime, and knowing nothing about Disney World, I ventured over to check it out. I ended up in the Boardwalk area and was thoroughly impressed. Thinking I might go check out Epcot if the admission was reasonable, I quickly turned away when I was told it was $67 to enter. If only I knew what a bargain that would be a dozen years later.

Fast forward one year and I am back in Florida on business again. I had done some research in the previous year and wanted to see Animal Kingdom Lodge in person. The moment I entered the lobby I became hooked on all things Disney. I couldn’t wait to show Erica. We started planning our first trip as soon as I got home. Erica knew nothing about Disney and was just happy to be going on vacation. I became obsessed with planning. Knowing we couldn’t do everything on that first trip, my goal was for us to return home and not say, “I wish we would have known about that. I would have rather done that than X.” That goal was accomplished.

View attachment 214381
Here I am in front of the Animal Kingdom Lodge lobby window

What’s Next?
As we have taken more vacations, our goals have changed. This summer will be our first Disney World trip in three years. We are excited to experience some of the new offerings since our last trip in 2014 and to revisit old ones. My goal, as always, is to sleep as little as possible on the trip and experience everything we can.

Some unique aspects of this summer’s trip will be experiencing some new dining locations (Tutto Italia, Garden Grill, Sanaa), and hopefully attending Chip and Dale’s Campfire Sing-a-Long at Fort Wilderness. We also have a fun challenge day planned in the middle of our trip.

We have fun on separate adventures before;will split up for our challenge. Our goal is to experience the same two attractions in each park in reverse order and see who completes the task first. Since I would skip meals to move along, we are required to take 20 minutes for a counter service meal at some point during the challenge.

Below is the challenge order for me. Erica’s is the same, just visiting the parks in an opposite order. The challenge starts in the morning at our bus stop at Port Orleans French Quarter. Any guesses on who wins? How long will it take? We are not yet sure where our finish line should be…the TTC or back at our resort? We do need to make sure we make it to our 6 p.m. reservation at Garden Grill.

Starting line: Bus stop at Port Orleans French Quarter
Hollywood Studios: Toy Story Midway Mania & Star Tours
Magic Kingdom: Peter Pan’s Flight (Erica’s Fastpass) & Pirates of the Caribbean
Epcot: Soarin’ (Todd’s Fastpass) & The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Animal Kingdom: Dinosaur and Kilimanjaro Safari
Finish line: TTC or Port Orleans French Quarter?

View attachment 214382
Erica with her favorite, Flynn Rider, and Rapunzel when we split up while I was on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour in 2012

We will be at Disney World until July 23. I hope to continue our actual trip report in this thread shortly after we return. Until then, happy planning of your own trips!

luvinthemajik

Hello and Thank you for posting your very special sounding PTR. I'm not much for social media either and definitely not the light of the party, but, I am a huge fan of anything WDW and also enjoy reading what others are doing as relates to their trips to The World.You two sound like you have a lot of fun together and your upcoming trip sounds unique, I'll be following along to see who wins, and what you get up to. Hope you have fun planning, that's half the excitement.

todd23

Original Poster
I'm glad everyone seems intrigued by our challenge day. We'll definitely take good notes so we can share details with all of you. We leave in just a couple of days. I'll be sure to check in here shortly after we return and I look forward to giving you an inside glimpse at one of our trips.

Erica1016

Hi all! Just checking in to say hello as I take a quick break from laundry and preparing to pack! Todd is a super-heavy packer, so it's really an event! While I'm not looking forward to the 2:30 am departure, I'm totally excited that the trip is finally here.

We'll see how the challenge goes, Todd definitely has some advantages. Especially since he's a faster walker! I'll have to rely on good luck with transportation, I think.

See you when we get back!

amjt660

Premium Member
Hi all! Just checking in to say hello as I take a quick break from laundry and preparing to pack! Todd is a super-heavy packer, so it's really an event! While I'm not looking forward to the 2:30 am departure, I'm totally excited that the trip is finally here.

We'll see how the challenge goes, Todd definitely has some advantages. Especially since he's a faster walker! I'll have to rely on good luck with transportation, I think.

See you when we get back!
May the best person win!!!!
I hope you have a great time

Max

Minnesota disney fan

Following! Can't wait to see who wins, although I think you both will:) Great report so far!
You think you get funny looks when just the 2 of you go in July? Try being in your 60's and going to WDW once a year, usually without kids/grandkids. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Zipadeelady

I agree with everyone, the challenge sounds great!! I'm in the minority, my money is on Erica. Todd is going to get stuck for over an hour waiting for Peter Pan! At least TSMM has three tracks. I definitely want to hear about your trip when you get back and see who the winner is! Have so much fun!

todd23

Original Poster
We’re Back

Erica and I have returned from our trip to Disney World. As always, it was outstanding, and we were sad to come home. We have been home for nearly a week now and it is tough to not think, “one week ago right now we were…” Luckily our next trip for Marathon Weekend is already less than 160 days away!

EPCOT_ECROVE1_20170717_403617708370.jpg

A PhotoPass picture of us in Mexico

Some notes from the trip include:
  • The challenge was shortened. I will fill you in on the winner and details when I recap that day.
  • We preferred the second half of our split stay at Port Orleans French Quarter more than the first half at Coronado Springs.
  • Our bus luck varied from day-to-day, but we felt like it was one of the worst overall bus timing trips for us, especially in the mornings. We waited for an Animal Kingdom bus for 55 minutes one morning!
  • We became Annual Passholders and enjoyed going through the Annual Passholder designated tapstiles each time we entered a park.
  • Thanks to being Annual Passholders, we had access to PhotoPass photos for the first time. It was tough to get into the habit of getting our picture taken, but it is nice to have the photos to add to our collection.
  • We shared almost all of our food, enabling us to eat at more establishments, both quick service and snacks. This led us to coin the term “second lunch.” Unfortunately, this also ate up time and made us less efficient in our touring.
  • Erica did an awesome job of striking up conversations with those around us in queues. It was nice to make “friends” while in lines.
As you can tell from the above text, I am going to make my font color orange for the remainder of this trip report. The different color text will hopefully allow readers who are scrolling through the thread to easily pick out a new entry in the trip report.

Next up: Arrival Day/Day 1 of the trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom