7 Dwarfs Cottage Scene -- Can't see it during the day

MOXOMUMD

Just wanted to back up the accuracy of this post. If a ride goes 101 to the point of an evac, we generally clear out the queue to save the guests the trouble of waiting around. Downtime can get very extensive depending on the situation. I've even worked evac situations on a ride as simple as TTA where the downtime lasted three hours.

Where our experiences seem to differ is that any ride I've worked on, the policy is to give passes to all guests in the queue and those being evac'd. Many of those people have been in line for upwards of an hour in many cases and they deserve to be compensated for their lost time in the park. I've never worked an attraction where you had to be at a certain point in the line.

The policy could very well differ from park to park or attraction to attraction, though.
If I had waited an hour then couldn't ride, this would definitely bring the anger tension down. :)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Just wanted to back up the accuracy of this post. If a ride goes 101 to the point of an evac, we generally clear out the queue to save the guests the trouble of waiting around. Downtime can get very extensive depending on the situation. I've even worked evac situations on a ride as simple as TTA where the downtime lasted three hours.

Where our experiences seem to differ is that any ride I've worked on, the policy is to give passes to all guests in the queue and those being evac'd. Many of those people have been in line for upwards of an hour in many cases and they deserve to be compensated for their lost time in the park. I've never worked an attraction where you had to be at a certain point in the line.

The policy could very well differ from park to park or attraction to attraction, though.
Out of curiosity why would it take longer to restart a ride than it takes to start it up in the morning?

tirian

What was even worse was that the people who had waited in line for over an hour when it broke were given nothing more than a bland apology. I overhead someone asking if they could get a fastpass to make up for their lost time, and the CM's working the ride said there was nothing they could do. Total nonsense. I know because I got a paper FP when something similar happened to us on EE just earlier the same week. Everyone who was booted from that line got one, and we also got our floating FP since the ride went down during our window (happened automatically).

I did go to guest services and ask for a pass to use on another day, after explaining that we lost our last 30 minutes of park time and couldn't get to anything else to ride instead because they kicked everyone out of line five minutes before closing. The CM's at guest services were shocked that it wasn't handled at the ride but they took care of it. We got a pass that let us ride the very next day... so it actually worked nicely since I got to skip the queue lol.

Even so, it seemed irresponsible for the CM's working the ride to not have been given those passes on hand, since the ride was having so many issues that week. Seems like the supervisors, or whoever makes those decisions, should have been more prepared.
I have never seen Disney give Guests FPs if they're in the queue. The policy seems to be that on-ride Guests and those in the loading station get a FP, but not those waiting in line.

cw1982

I have never seen Disney give Guests FPs if they're in the queue. The policy seems to be that on-ride Guests and those in the loading station get a FP, but not those waiting in line.

All I can say is my experience, which was that I got a paper FP while I was in the queue for EE (in addition to the floating FP that showed up in my account, since this was during my FP window), and then when it happened at 7DMT and we didn't get the paper passes, the CM at Guest Relations was confused about why we didn't get one at the ride, and she gave us one in the form of a "time lost" FP, as they called it. At no point did she say that this was going out of normal protocol, or that she was doing me a huge favor that was out of the normal scope of their policy... she acted like it was no big deal, and so did the CM's who were doing the same for others around me. I never claimed to know what the policy is... those are just my experiences. I don't know that I necessarily felt entitled to those passes, but since it had happened on one ride (and that was unexpected), I went with my instinct and asked, and got what I asked for.

As I said before, I do think it's a bit different, though, when people who give up their last hour of park time don't get to ride what they waited for than if it happens earlier in the day and plans can still be shifted to accommodate the hiccup. If it hadn't been for that, I probably wouldn't have bothered asking.

tirian

All I can say is my experience, which was that I got a paper FP while I was in the queue for EE (in addition to the floating FP that showed up in my account, since this was during my FP window), and then when it happened at 7DMT and we didn't get the paper passes, the CM at Guest Relations was confused about why we didn't get one at the ride, and she gave us one in the form of a "time lost" FP, as they called it. At no point did she say that this was going out of normal protocol, or that she was doing me a huge favor that was out of the normal scope of their policy... she acted like it was no big deal, and so did the CM's who were doing the same for others around me. I never claimed to know what the policy is... those are just my experiences. I don't know that I necessarily felt entitled to those passes, but since it had happened on one ride (and that was unexpected), I went with my instinct and asked, and got what I asked for.

As I said before, I do think it's a bit different, though, when people who give up their last hour of park time don't get to ride what they waited for than if it happens earlier in the day and plans can still be shifted to accommodate the hiccup. If it hadn't been for that, I probably wouldn't have bothered asking.
I agree with you completely, and I've always thought that guests in the queue should get one, too! :)

Castle Cake Apologist

Out of curiosity why would it take longer to restart a ride than it takes to start it up in the morning?

There's really no way to answer that honestly. Every situation is different. The specific tta incident that I mentioned involved a string of the magnet motors failing in the stretch leading into Space which caused a car to stop, all while other cars kept going. Eventually we had a huge cascade of cars stopped in the same area with cars crashing into the car ahead of them when they got to that point. It was pretty bad.

We had to physically push the cars to separate points at a safe distance from one another before we could even consider a reset after Maintenance fixed the issue. But before we could do that, we also had to evac the ride. Evac'ing TTA takes at least 45 minutes on a good day where everybody cooperates. It's a somewhat dangerous procedure with the platform up in the air, not to mention much of the track is flimsy plastic that would collapse under the weight of a guest so there's only certain places you can cross over to the other side.

JohnD

Original Poster
You all realize this thread has gone completely off-topic from my original post -- that you can't see the cottage scene during the day and what, if anything, WDW will do about it.

AEfx

The entire cottage scene was the one "oh, they did it that way?" surprise to me to begin with. I figured you'd actually go in to the cottage. Now, I know that doesn't make a ton of sense thematically (why would the mine train go into the cottage?) but I think folks would have gotten past that and just enjoyed seeing it. The fact that Snow White is again so obscure in her own ride is just, odd, and it's difficult to see in there as many have pointed out.

My long-term worry, though, is about the Witch. She really makes the ride for me, odd as it sounds - and being outside even semi-covered I still worry how long it will be before she goes down and just doesn't move anymore, or worse - they take her out completely.

JohnD

Original Poster
I originally proposed tall trees to block the sun. Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner but how about just removing the panes, leaving the window frames for effect? No more glare but you'll be able to see inside the cottage. Before someone points out that the animatronics could be exposed to strong wind and "horitzonal" rain, I would only point out that the witch is already outside.

MotherOfBirds

I can't say I find it strange that Snow White's presence in her own rides is so limited. Sure, it's her movie, but she isn't really the most interesting thing in it. The dwarves and the evil queen are just a lot more fun.

Is there any nearby foliage that would shade the area after is has enough time to grow in?

wdrive

They really should have just made the cottage bigger so the train just goes indoors through the cottage, yeah I know it doesn't really make much sense for a mine train to be going through the cottage but that's something really minor IMO compared to the glare from the windows. Do they not test these things before they build them?

Matt_Black

I can't say I find it strange that Snow White's presence in her own rides is so limited. Sure, it's her movie, but she isn't really the most interesting thing in it. The dwarves and the evil queen are just a lot more fun.

I don't know; as I've gotten older and read more into the movie, Snow is a lot more interesting to me now than she was when I was a young'un.

Magenta Panther

I don't know; as I've gotten older and read more into the movie, Snow is a lot more interesting to me now than she was when I was a young'un.

She's my favorite princess, FWIW.

Yeah, I know the voice seems dippy, but if you think about it, it's one of the reasons she's believable. Walt wanted to make Snow innocent and child-like, and that's why he chose Adriana's voice over other choices like Deanna Durbin. A more mature voice would have come across as un-authentic and cloying, as if the voice actress was being cutesy instead of sincere.

Plus Snow is lovable. You can understand why the Dwarfs want to help her, and why even Grumpy came around in the end.

rioriz

Is there any nearby foliage that would shade the area after is has enough time to grow in?

Here in lies the problem....

The first ride we were Snow White's eyes and living her experience as her

In this ride, it is not her ride...it is all about the Dwarves so rightfully so she takes a back seat

MotherOfBirds

Here in lies the problem....

The first ride we were Snow White's eyes and living her experience as her

In this ride, it is not her ride...it is all about the Dwarves so rightfully so she takes a back seat

You would be right on the first account, except that we see Snow during the ride in the lightning flashes. So I supposed it was intended to be through her perspective, but it wasn't applied consistently.

ToTBellHop

You would be right on the first account, except that we see Snow during the ride in the lightning flashes. So I supposed it was intended to be through her perspective, but it wasn't applied consistently.
I believe it was originally, but it was thought that the original ride was too frightening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom