6/23-6/25/04 Disney Wonder Cruise Update (some big news!)

Chape19714

Original Poster
7/23-7/25/04 Disney Wonder Cruise Update (some big news!)

Some BIG news observations:

sorry, i ment to say 7/23 not 6

-T shirts of mickey snorkeling near what is clearly the 20k sum are on The island.

-We passed the Disney Magic on the last night.

-The remember the Magic tune played before Hercules and Disney Dreams, but not Golden Mickeys

-The Disney Wonder goes into Dry-Dock this fall (october or september, i think) for a huge remodeling. While on-board they were re-painting, replacing glass etc. some pretty big stuff.

THINGS THAT WILL BE DONE IN DRY DOCK INCLUDE:

-Inspection of gears, stabalizers, propellers, etc.

-It is RUMORED that ESPN will be removed, like it was on the Magic. The Stack (teen-only club) is likely to come to the midship funnel instead. Common Grounds was very crowded and more room would be nice. I have no clue what would replace common grounds (the cove replaced it on the Magic)

-Repainting and other work

Another RUMOR, NOT CERTAIN YET, BUT IT WAS BROUGHT UP IS....

Castaway Cay MAY soon have a hotel. This would be used for those who want to stay on the island and catch the next Disney ship out. Reservations would become more complicated. this would also bring more cast to live on the island. (sorry to be so brief I don't know what else to explain)

The Magic is getting ready to head west, and the cast seems to be excited for the sister-ship's oppertunity.

The free-soda seems to be running well. there is an outdoor location on Deck 9 AFT with a soda fountian (as well as coffee, milk, ice water, choclate milk, hi-c, lemonade, and other coca-cola products). Canned sodas still have a cost.

If you have any other questions on the ship(s) post ehm here, and i'll see if i can answer them.

Well, just got back from my first Disney Cruise!!!! What a wonderful time I had. I happened to get there EXTREMELY early, and checked-in with no line, and was the 1st person on the ship. We sat at Port Canaveral until 5:00, however, we were told by the port authorties, Disney never leaves on time, and they often change the times of when we would leave/arive on the islands. We ate Lunch at the Buffet, and then, explored for a little while. Room was ready at 1:30, and the lifeboat drill started on-time at 4:00. We were in Group "A", which met in the Walt Disney Thature, stage left. That was ok, and went well, we were glad we were sitting in the AC, as opposed to those who were standing outside in the heat. The boat Set sail, and we had a blast. All 3 shows (hercules, Golden Mickey's, and Disney Dreams) were excellent. Golden Mickey's seems to be in full-swing for a new show, and merchandice is in the stores. I was interviewed by "Rona Rivers"! lol. Castaway Cay was great! I did snorkel around the 20k sub, it's been there for a while, as it had algee all over it. Overall, we had a great time! Thanks to our waiters, Egi, and Hermando, as well as the head waiter (who cleared up a confusion or two!) and thanks to Roland, our stateroom host. They really made the trip special. And thanks to suzana (sp) and those at ESPN, where i often found my family. So many people to thank, so thanks all!!! I met the cruise director Jacque, who was nice, and told me how to meet the cast of the shows. That was alot of fun. Boy, they really love thier job! I talked with a few on how to audition, etc. so Disney Wonder here i come!!!

I stop typing now with some info from the Bridge tour...

Only 25 feet of the boat is underwater

the boat can be drivin three different ways in 3 different locations.

dry dock is in North Carolina

General Grizz

Thanks for all that information!! Glad to hear you had fun!

I enjoyed the Golden Mickeys. . . I have the ad that was put in our cabin right here on the bathroom mirror. :lol:

Chape19714

Original Poster
General Grizz said:
Thanks for all that information!! Glad to hear you had fun!

I enjoyed the Golden Mickeys. . . I have the ad that was put in our cabin right here on the bathroom mirror. :lol:

so do I!!!

stuart

Cheers for the info. Im more upset that there isnt a 7 day caribbean cruise next summer as our family was goin to do it. Mite just need to settle for one of the bahamian cruises

stitch131313

I'm glad you had a great time. I hope to be on the Wonder again in September, right before the dry dock. Did you ask the Common Grounds Crew Members if they were in fact going to change over to The Stack? I kinda hope thay don't. I love the Common Grounds and The Stack, but the Commmon Grounds' size wasn't a problem on the Wonder for me. I can see why they changed on the Magic because with 7 days and nights the Common Grounds would get crowded. Oh well, again glad you had fun :)

Chape19714

Original Poster
stitch131313,

I did not ask at Common Grounds, however I did ask at ESPN. Both of the bartenders agreed that ESPN would most likely be gone after the dry-dock period. The common ground staff was going back to their homeland, and a new crew was to step in after the dry-dock. The general idea (sp) is that Common Grounds would be moved to the midship steam stack, or that it would move AND become re-named to the Stack. This makes scence, due to the fact that every time a hunt or activity would start for Common Grounds the deck 9 midship elevator lobby was PACKED. If it was moved the club would serve as an elevator lobby in itself. I found the size of Common Grounds to be a problem. The "bar" area and the computer areas were empty, however the TV area was full, and you had to sit at the "bar" to watch the movie. There are 2 reasons that this move would happen.

1-According to some CM's, the ESPN bar makes less than $150 per day. besides, the bar can only recieve ESPN1&2, as well as ABC. Don't ask me why.

2-The crowd issue at Common Grounds. Look at all the room that the younger kids get on deck 5!! and then look at what little space Common Grounds has. It was nice, but it could be bigger. This would also allow for a more "outdoor, pool-side" type of venue on deck 9 near the goofy/mickey pool.

yensidtlaw 1969,

I did get pictures, some of them did not turn out :cry: i'll post when i get the chance.

disneydummy125,

GO ON A DISNEY CRUISE VACATION!!!!! order the DVD/VHS from www.disneycruise.com, and there is a special offer for a room this fall. check it out. you would be sure to have tons of fun!!!!

Chape19714 said:
I met the cruise director Jacque, who was nice, and told me how to meet the cast of the shows. That was alot of fun. Boy, they really love thier job! I talked with a few on how to audition, etc. so Disney Wonder here i come!!!

Your cruise director told you how to mee the casts of the show?! That must've been exciting!

I'd like to be able to meet the show casts too, especially because I'm going on a 7-day cruise on the Disney Wonder in December...and I hope that Jacque will still be the cruise director then--he sounds like a very nice guy indeed.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Glad to hear you had a great time as well! :D

I just returned last night from a 7-day Mediterranean cruise on Royal Caribbean and I was bored out of my mind. I've been dying to get on DCL but the parents won't do it because they have supposedly "heard" from other people that DCL has bad food, entertainment, and nothing for adults to do. Oh well, I try to convince them every time talk of taking a cruise comes up (we usually take 3-4 cruises a year), hopefully I will succeed in the near future. :)

mandib

Glad you had a good time! We're thinking about doing a 3-night one in the spring. Do you think 3 days is enough? What time did you get to the port? Are the standard rooms big enough for 4? Which deck were you on? I can't wait to see pictures! I've wanted to do a Disney Cruise since they first came out!

Chape19714

Original Poster
disneyphilip said:
Your cruise director told you how to mee the casts of the show?! That must've been exciting!

I'd like to be able to meet the show casts too, especially because I'm going on a 7-day cruise on the Disney Wonder in December...and I hope that Jacque will still be the cruise director then--he sounds like a very nice guy indeed.

Jacque was a very nice lady. Meeting the cast was very exciting, and the best part was many of them were there in charactor. They were all in the lobby on the last night, and Jacque lead a show with all of them. There was a line to meet the princesses, but all the others did not have a line so i talked for a while about performing on the Disney Wonder. Jacque was so nice, she has been in the cruising industry for over 12 years now, and she told me she has never been on a more exciting and orginized boat than the Disney Wonder. Lots of fun. hope you have a nice cruise. btw: between the shore excusion desk and the midship desk 3 elevator lobby, there is a large picture frame with all the Important crew members, such as the captain, etc. look for Cruise Director and you'll be able to tell if it's her or not. She was very nice, as was the captain. You are going to have a great time. 7 nights on the wonder is a rare oppertunity. and tha magic is going for 4 nights this april, so that's another rare oppertunity. have a great time. Hopefully you can meet some of the cast in the lobby on the last night. great fun.

Mandib,

3 nights was fun, but i thought it was very short. there is no way to see everything that is going on no matter how many days you have. All i can say is this: The boat is so entertaining, that you never spend anytime in your stateroom other than to change and to sleep. so, don't go all out with the stateroom. With the money you save on an inside stateroom, you may be able to go for 4 nights instead of 3. We were in a Catagory 10 stateroom on Deck 1, which was still above water, as the gangway was near our room. The room was PERFECT for 4, however we had 5, so we had 2 rooms that connected. cat. 10 did not have a window, but did have a split bath, unlike 11 and 12. the cat. 10 rooms have a queen or 2 single beds in the back, an sofa bed, and a pull-down berth. So, just right for 4 people. deck 1 was nice, and just a short elevator ride to EVERYTHING. keep in mind, all of deck 1 is not rooms, just part of it. The midship elevators were the only elevators that most everyone used, but there was a secret door that leads to the foward elevators. if you don't go through it during the lifeboat drill, than ask your stateroom host/hostess. it was nice to be waiting to go down after the show/dinner, while the up elevators were very full. we had a blast and i am sure you will too. 3 days was short, but it made for the perfect weekend. I wish i could go every weekend. 3 days gives you a nice intro to the Disney Differance in Cruising. 4 would be better 7+ would be awsome! Prices do become an issue on longer cruises, so 3 was nice, and we had a great time. The vacation is only relaxing if you set aside time for it. the ship activites are just so great. and the shows are truly Magical. We arrived at the terminal at 10, they let us in at 10:30 and we were checked in by 11 (no line!!) we waited in line for 1 hour, and the boat was ready by 12, this is the best way to do it, you beet the lines at the lunch restraunts. and can swim, or whatever you want, while other are eating. your stateroom become ready at 1:30. Remember what i said about staterooms. lol. I will post the pictures sometime tomorrow. Have a great cruise, and if you have ANY further questions, PM me or post them here.

stitch131313

Thanks for the info Chape. Do you remmeber the names of the Caommon Grounds Crew, if I go in September I hope some of them are the same that I've had on my past two cruises. Thanks again.

And Villainess, the Magic goes west next summer.

HMGhost13

the magic won't be heading west until mid-may next year

i know cause we're booked from Apr. 30th (my 21st b-day) to may 7th. it'll have 1 more week after that (7th-14th) and THEN it heads west.

1stStarIC2nite

Yes, while we were on our July 8th - 11th cruise it was confirmed by many crew members that there will be some major changes to the ship. First, the teen gathering area, Common Grounds, will be moved up into the ESPN Skybox and will be given a "City loft/first apartment" theme. The old Common Grounds spot, was said to be made into a up-scale coffee-type lounge, mainly for adults. Then, the ESPN skybox is moving downstairs to Route 66 where it will become a brand new place where Barrel of Laughs currently is, so technically, all we're loosing is dueling pianos.

Can't wait to see the finished product! :D

- I also noticed how they used "Remember the Magic" before the shows... kinda made me mad they didn't create a special song and all for each show, but oh well... Disney Dreams is fantastic! And Hercules was HILARIOUS! But I didnt see Golden Mickeys... and.. the sticky buns at the Parrot Cay buffet, are to DIE for! :slurp:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom