5th gate

nitch

6f1eeba0aa16ad21571b31ac498bb5df.wix_mp

Megalolz :ROFLOL:

Reddog

I heard the 5th gate was going to be a DVC park.

You purchase an interest in the park in the form of points which you use to access rides and attractions. Of course, you have to reserve those rides 11 months ahead of time.

Yensid71

Not sure about the rest but InsiderImagine is correct about one thing, Fantasmic! is getting an update and I think you will be extremely happy with it. Think Disneyland! :sohappy:

disneyeater

I heard the 5th gate was going to be a DVC park.

You purchase an interest in the park in the form of points which you use to access rides and attractions. Of course, you have to reserve those rides 11 months ahead of time.

Unless you bought resale, then you have to wait until 7 months to reserve your ride.

ChrisM

I know 74 will swoop in with his usual smarmy "I KNOW STUFF YOU DON'T KNOW" bleatings, but the fact of the matter is that Disney is leaving money on the table if they don't invest in a boutique park.

And while I set the bar at mere incompetance when it comes to Disney's standard operating procedure, whiffing on this would even give me a chuckle.

Upmarket has the only growth potential right now.

Disaddict

I know 74 will swoop in with his usual smarmy "I KNOW STUFF YOU DON'T KNOW" bleatings...

Do what I did and put him on your ignore list. A lot of people have. ;) All I see now are spots showing he has made an entry. I don't have to see his argumentative attempts any longer. I got tired of seeing him come in and twist my words around. Now I don't have to see it anymore. ;)

ChrisM

Do what I did and put him on your ignore list. A lot of people have. ;) All I see now are spots showing he has made an entry. I don't have to see his argumentative attempts any longer. I got tired of seeing him come in and twist my words around. Now I don't have to see it anymore. ;)

Not to make this a referendum on 74, but I don't believe in ignoring anyone. Heck, if I don't have jt on ignore why would I ignore anyone else?

74 is undoubtedly plugged in via substantial sources/relationships and anyone with that level of access is rightfully valued here and worth listening to. And while I may personally share his level of disdain for many elements within the WD company and a vast majority of the theme park fan base (sorry folks), his persona here is painfully grating.

A little more graciousness and a lot less backing-slapping and inside jokes with his little clique would go a long way.

RSoxNo1

DHS is getting an expansion with refurbs...

Muppet Vision will get refurbished but AFTER the movie has come out on bluray.

Pixar Place WILL be getting an expansion but with more than what everyone THINKS.

Fantasmic! will be updated.

and something else completely insane that no one can see coming...think avatar annoucement....

i know it seems a little odd to be coming out wiht this information but right now i dont give a ****

Lord of the Rings/Hobbit?

WDW1974

I know 74 will swoop in with his usual smarmy "I KNOW STUFF YOU DON'T KNOW" bleatings, but the fact of the matter is that Disney is leaving money on the table if they don't invest in a boutique park.

Smarmy??! MOI?!??!:rolleyes::eek::king:

I am sure you mistake my snark (motto: a day without snark is like a day without Pixie Dust!) for smarm. Don't sweat it. Common boo-boo.

And I do know much that you don't. But I am sure you know many things I don't too. That's all big picture stuff ... I'll trust my knowledge and put it up against anyone here (or anyone who claims to be an expert in the fan community). Unlike say Ursula the sea witch, I just don't live for this stuff ... enjoy it, but can put it in its place.

As to the boutique park, I always saw that as Disney's only option for another gate in Florida (although it isn't a real gate ... Sea World doesn't equate Discovery Cove as its second gate, after all). And Rasulo wanted Night Kingdom/Shangri La badly ... but I'm not sure even that would ever happen so long as they can graft it onto existing DAK infrastructure (even if it harms the show as it does on KS).

And while I set the bar at mere incompetance when it comes to Disney's standard operating procedure, whiffing on this would even give me a chuckle.

Upmarket has the only growth potential right now.

True, but Disney has spent a decade plus of decline Walmarting the World and chasing away many of the guests who would have the income and desire to make a boutique park a financial boon for Disney. So, I'm not at all sure it's a no-brainer. But it wouldn't shock me to see sometime down the line ... But a real fifth gate. It ain't EVER gonna happen. Nope. Sorry.

~GFCers Thrive on Snark!~

WDW1974

What does it say about one's intellect and ability to engage in adult discussions when you do the online equivalent of sticking fingers in your ears and yelling 'Nah-nah, I can't hear you, I can't hear you!'

And I don't twist anyone's words. I make them back them up, explain them and stand behind them. Often, it is an ugly self-reflection, no doubt.

But I'll never get the purpose of an 'ignore button' on an online discussion forum. If you can't either ignore someone on your own or discuss issues with the person/people rationally than you really have no purpose being on the forum at all.

That's what big boi pants are for. :D

~GFC~

ChrisM

True, but Disney has spent a decade plus of decline Walmarting the World and chasing away many of the guests who would have the income and desire to make a boutique park a financial boon for Disney. So, I'm not at all sure it's a no-brainer. But it wouldn't shock me to see sometime down the line ... But a real fifth gate. It ain't EVER gonna happen. Nope. Sorry.

Great post.

But you just peeled the skin off of why a boutique park or land would need to be positioned as a 5th gate: perception. Many upscale patrons would prefer a little exclusivity and, therefore, separation, from the unwashed Walmart masses.

WDW1974

Not to make this a referendum on 74, but I don't believe in ignoring anyone. Heck, if I don't have jt on ignore why would I ignore anyone else?

Why not? It has to have been at least 48 hours since the last referendum on my worth.:ROFLOL:

74 is undoubtedly plugged in via substantial sources/relationships and anyone with that level of access is rightfully valued here and worth listening to. And while I may personally share his level of disdain for many elements within the WD company and a vast majority of the theme park fan base (sorry folks), his persona here is painfully grating.

A little more graciousness and a lot less backing-slapping and inside jokes with his little clique would go a long way.

Grating? I look at it more as giving much needed humour and tough love. You'd be shocked (or not) at how many people I 'turn' (and not to the Dark Side) ... how many PMs and notes I get that start with something like 'I used to think you hated Disney and just wanted to cause trouble, but the more I read ...'

FWIW, my personality here is pretty much what it is in real life (except I am much more huggable -- ask most any woman or fanboi!:king:) I don't hide behind a personality here that is false. I don't suffer fools well and I don't like hearing excuses of why things are bad instead of people telling me how they're going to fix things. Again, that's how I am in the Spirited real world, so why create something fake here?

As to my clique, it isn't little. I honestly can't go to any Disney park on the planet without having folks wanting to meet up and hang out and talk. I even feel guilty when I don't have time for many. Not ego. Fact.

Oh, and what am I supposed to be gracious about?

~GFC~

Lee

Adventurer
Not sure about the rest but InsiderImagine is correct about one thing, Fantasmic! is getting an update and I think you will be extremely happy with it. Think Disneyland! :sohappy:
Don't count those chickens just yet. I hear otherwise...

74 is undoubtedly plugged in via substantial sources/relationships and anyone with that level of access is rightfully valued here and worth listening to.
That's what I keep telling people. :lol:

njDizFan

I agree, a boutique park should/would not count a real 5th gate. A seperate hard ticket which would not be included with a hopper is just a different experience not so much a park. I could almost see a water boutique area in the proposed Austarlia plot at DAK. Then you could spent $150/person on the animal trek then go over and pet a dolphin.

But Spirit never say never. They could add a few more DVCs, sell them out. The get 90%+ occupancy at all the resorts(year round). Get phased closings during January(at all parks). Then complete all the neccesary refurbs across property. That of course would have to coincide with a global economic boom.

there you go....Marvel park coming soon....

WDW1974

Great post.

But you just peeled the skin off of why a boutique park or land would need to be positioned as a 5th gate: perception. Many upscale patrons would prefer a little exclusivity and, therefore, separation, from the unwashed Walmart masses.

True.

I just wonder if they're capable of pulling it off.

I also think it's largely a waste of time at this point. Disney has shown (and largely told us) where they are spending/investing capital in.

There's just no way they're spending $400-750 million on a boutique park right now or in the immediate (i.e. next five years) future.

~GFC~

Millionaire2K

No.

-There's not enough land. A couple thousand acres worthy of construction remain on WDW property. Magic Kingdom takes up about 70 acres, and its parking lot is about the same -- And MK is a small park. I believe Animal Kingdom and its parking lot weigh in at around 500 acres in total. Epcot takes up around 250 acres including the parking lot.
Yes, I suppose they have the acreage for a park, but it's broken up across the property. There are few contiguous areas of land where a park and a parking lot can be built.

You're joking about land right?

I just put this very rough map together real quick and highlighted just a few spots you can easily fit a HS size park. If you look at the scale of the parks on the map you will note all 4 parks could easily be built again somewhere.

Also the roads that breakup land is all owned by Disney. So they can move any rode in the way of a 5th gate.

ImageShack.us

Cosmic Commando

You're joking about land right?

I just put this very rough map together real quick and highlighted just a few spots you can easily fit a HS size park. If you look at the scale of the parks on the map you will note all 4 parks could easily be built again somewhere.

Also the roads that breakup land is all owned by Disney. So they can move any rode in the way of a 5th gate.

ImageShack.us
Yes, there is probably land enough for multiple theme parks yet to be built, but not as much land as you think. That map seems to be almost all of the unimproved land of WDW... leaving out the land set aside for conservation and the land that is unsuitable for development. So take the space on that map, cut it down to 1/3 or 1/4 of its original size, and then you're probably in the right ballpark.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom