52 in 52 week 52. The end.

phllymouse

Original Poster
Yes it is the last week. Next week look for a synopsis of the 52 in 52....also I will give you my top ten movies of the year.

So week 52 bring me to 2012 of course.

There was really only one real option....PIXARS Brave.

I did a quick review of this in the spring and gave it 4 Mickeys.
Lets see how it holds up.
Brave is the story of Merida a Scottish Princess, as a teenager she fights for her independence, while trying to satisfy her families wants/needs. Both sides push each other to a point where Merida gets help from a witch. So she can get her mother off her back. Little does she know the ramifications. She turns her mother into a bear.

First..again..great voice work:
Merida--voiced by Kelly Macdonald (Boardwalk Empire)
Fergus/the father--Voiced by the wonderful Billy Connolly
Elinor/the mother--voiced by Emma Thompson

Sadly the movie irratated me more this time than in the movie theater. I love the idea. She is a different princess. I mean look at her. The red hair. The determination on her face. She even looks strong. She can shoot an arrow with the best of them. There is so much you can do with her. She argues with her mom..she decides she can make it on her own. She goes far away on an adventure with the arrows on her back..but realizes she misses the love of her family, and has to find her way back. While her mother and father realize that they were to hard..and may be she is of a different mold and she can find her fate while being in the castle.
But no! Mom was turned into a bear? Creepy. Not to mention it was Emma Thompson! You had Emma Thompson and you turned her into a bear half way through the movie just wasting her talent. Then they did not trust the material obviously. They threw in three pointless, annoying brothers. It made me wonder if PIXAR was not sure a female could hold up the movie.
You see I was more irratated. And it starts so well!!!!

Fun and not so fun facts:
The original title was The Bear And The Bow
You can see the Pizza Planet truck in the witch's hut
Sean Connery was concidered for king Fergus

So..my last review. I am going to drop it down one notch from the spring and give it 3 1/2 out of 5 Mickeys. Much better than Cars 2. So PIXAR is moving back in to the right dirction. I just think here they did not know what to do with her.

So again, I will be back next week with a synopsis of my 52 weeks. With my top ten of the year.
If you missed any of my 52 and want to read up on them..just go under my profile and just click my postings.
Thank you for following. Personally this has been a tough year for me and this was kind of a distraction. I really enjoyed it. I hope somebody out there did also.

I wish you all a healthy and peaceful New Year.
Look for me next week..and as always thanks for your time

Gonzo79

Good for you for keeping this up all year. I'm a new poster, but have been reading the boards on and off for a couple of years,and have enjoyed reading your reviews. I've actually even been inspired to check out some of the older movies you've mentioned that I've never heard of before. Good job!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom