52 in 52 week 49 with my PIXAR list!

phllymouse

Original Poster
Week 49 brings me to 2009.

2009 had two really good choices:
I turned down "The Princess And The Frog". It is a movie I really liked when it first came out. I liked the film even more upon further viewings. When it came out it did not do overwhelming numbers at the box office (by Disney animated movie standards), I do think it has found a more of a following on Blu-Ray. I love the story. Writing. Music. I would give it 4 out of 5 Mickeys.

I had to go with one of my favorite PIXAR movies UP. Up starts with a love story and then turns into an adventure. It follows Carl (Ed Asner) trying to fulfill his and his late wife Ellie's longtime dream of going to South America. He take his and Ellies house and floats away with balloons hooked to the house. Unknowingly he picks up an hitchhiker, a little boy Russell (Jordan Nagai) from the neighborhood.
What separates Pixar from any other studio is the writing. This is highlighted in UP, especially in the first 10 minutes. The first 10 minutes of UP and the last 10 minutes of Toy Story 3 maybe the finest 20 minutes at PIXAR. The first 10 minutes of UP, where they follow the many year of Carl and Ellie's life, is so good you could you could turn the sound down and just watch and still understand what is going on. The struggle is, that 10 minutes is so good the rest of the film has a lot to live up to. To be honest, it does not, it is still an excellent movie and I love it.
Great voice work highlighted by Asner and Bob Peterson as Dug the wonderful dog. Like noted before, it is all in the writing. I may have seen this movie about five times now, maybe more, here are some of my favorite lines:
I was hiding under your porch because I love you.
Squirrel
That is going to be a billion transfers to my house.
Hey lets play a game called who can be quietest the longest.>My mom loves to play that game.
I don't like the cone of shame.
I just met you and I love you

After the writing I have to say the movie just looks fantastic on Blu-Ray. The colors just pop.
Faults: small ones. Carl kind of becomes a super hero at the end (however it may fall in line with the storyline he found a reason to live life again)
Dogs flying airplanes was pushing it a little (yes I know they talk but that was an electronic device).

Fun and not so fun facts:
The second PIXAR film with a PG rating, the first was the Incredibles.
First Pixar film to be filmed in 3D
Bob Peterson who plays Dug also does the voice of Roz in Monsters Inc.

Well Up! Enough said, I give it 4 1/2 out of 5 Mickeys. Love it.

As promised last week, here is my PIXAR list. It changes as time goes by but right now, on this day, here it is:
1-Finding Nemo
2-Toy Story
3-Up
4-Toy Story 3
5-The Incredibles
6-WALL-E
7-Monsters Inc.
8-Brave
9-Ratatouille
10-A bugs Life
11-Toy Story 2
12-Cars
13-Cars 2
Well there is my list. I may be doing one more PIXAR move with three weeks to go. Still a little undecided.
Well again, as always, thanks for your time.

phllymouse

Original Poster
Thanks for keeping this up all year. Seems to be a thankless job but it is appreciated.[/qu

Thanks for the reply. I am a movie buff..and a Disney buff. So to be honest, there has only been a couple of weeks that I thought .."yikes another Disney movie".

phllymouse

Original Poster
Id put Wall-E at 5 and A Bugs Life at 8 personally. But a great write up man

Thanks for the compliment. A Bugs Life. Before I reviewed it back in week 38 I guess..I would have put it higher also. However after watching it I was bothered by Princess Atta this time. Why this time I do not know. If you have a chance go back to week 38 and check out my review.
Thanks for reading the reviews.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom