52 in 52 week 46

phllymouse

Original Poster
Week 46 brings me to 2006.
Week 46, personally I feel was the worst week of the 46. The choices UGH! Which is surprising because as we moved forward in time the studio brought out almost triple the number of movies from the years that I started this. So with more options you would think better odds of finding a good film. Not so much during this year.
In fact this week there will be no pixie dust, just a miserable reviewer.
2006 lets see:
Glory Road-should have picked you.
Dead Mans Chest-Oh the magic is lost.
The Wild-failed, maybe because of Madagascar.
Eight Below-I hated you when I saw you in 2006
gy Dog-why?

Two options were left.

Cars. Oh boy. Cars is near the bottom of my Pixar list, one step above Cars 2. I am fully aware that this movie is not made for me. Little boys everywhere I am sure go crazy for Cars. Me, I find it long. I find it strange. I find the storyline choppy. Cars in love, is just odd. I do love the look however of Radiator Springs. So there is something. There was a moment that I put Cars on the top of my Netflix thinking I should be fair and give it another shot. However, it had a long wait, so it was knocked out.

So as you can tell from my name I am from the Philly area..I decided to go with Invincible.
Invincible is the story of Vince Papale, played by Mark Wahlberg, a devoted Eagles fan. After his wife walks out, and he loses his job, Vince decides to try out for the Eagles after new coach Dick Vermeil (Greg Kinnear) announces he will have tryouts that are open to the public.

Even this choice I did not feel good about. I like football. Do not love it. I am baseball guy. What you see in the movie is that kind of thing that turned me off of it. Passion is one thing, drinking just to get drunk and go watch a football game is another.Thus they can act like idiots. I get bothered when people from the outside see this and lump us people in the area into that group or mentality. I like the game enough to peak at it on TV on and off while the game is on, I am happy when they win, I do not lose sleep when they lose. I kind of lean toward the Ravens these days because the QB is a local kid. So there, I now get off my soapbox.
So, anyway, In 2006 I won tickets to a private screening of this movie, hosted by a local sports anchor. The movie never showed up. We just sat there. I eventually saw it another day. I thought it was ok. After watching it this time..again ok. Harmless I guess, It is a nice story, that tried to add different angles that really went no where including a girlfriend of Vince, played by the wonderful Elizbeth Banks. She was kind of wasted and when she is on the screen she acts circles around everyone else. Wahlburg is out of his element here. He is fine with the football scenes, but when he is called upon to give us some drama, it is not good. Now to be fair this was 2006, he has gotten better since this movie.

Fun are not so fun facts:

The real Vince Papale played a coach during the movie.
In the Giants game, when Mark Wahlberg is running down the sideline in special teams coverage, a Giants player hits him hard and knocks him down. This Giants player was a football player at the nearby University of Delaware, and was not supposed to contact Wahlberg, let alone knock him down. He was told to leave the set, but the scene was kept.
Disneyized, Vince never scored a TD. However he played for the Eagles for three years and became the captain of the special teams.
If you have ever been in the Philly area you may be familiar with Tony Lukes chesesteaks. Some say the best in Philly. The man wearing the cape during tryouts is Tony Luke.

So Invincible, by the way terrible title for a film, I mean it is a nice story. I have seen worse Rocky type movies. I would give it 2 1/2 of 5 Mickeys. It is a harmless film. It is a good family film, with a nice message to not give up on your dreams. Thinking 10 and up.

I wanted to give a quick note that I saw Lincoln this week (spoiler, he was shot), and with it I saw a longer preview of Oz Great And Powerful. It reminded me of the recent Alice In Wonderland, which I liked more than I thought I would. This trailer made it look like a CGI fest. Which worries me a bit because i think the idea and the story can stand on its own without an overabundance of CGI. I am excited to see it.

After two weeks of sports films, I am looking forward to next week.
Again thanks for your time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom