52 in 52 week 42

phllymouse

Original Poster
Week 42....2002. 10 weeks left.

2002 was tough. I had nothing I wanted to see from Disney. Touchstone had some interesting films that year but they were not very Disney like..Extreme Not Disney like!

I had to choose. It came down between two choices:
Sweet Home Alabama
Lilo And Stich
I decided to go with Lilo And Stich directed by Dean Deblois and Chris Sanders. Written by Chris Sanders (He also voiced Stitch if you want to call it that). The reason I chose this film is, I have never seen it. It always looked Saturday Morning Cartoonish to me. Also, on my many visits to the Magic Kingdom, I found Stitch annoying. I decided to open my mind and give it a shot (By the way, FYI, Sweet Home Alabama I give 3 Mickeys).
First the the voices were well done as always:
Daveigh Chase as Lilo
Tia Carrere as Lilo's sister Nani
Ving Rhames as Cobra Bubbles
David Ogden Stiers is back again in an almost unrecognizable voice as Jumba.

The Plot: The film follows a lonely Hawaiian girl named Lilo who's being raised by her older sister Nani, after their parents die ( another death of the parents) -- under the watch of a social worker Cobra Bubbles (Yes, that is his name). When Lilo adopts what she think is a funny-looking dog and names him "Stitch", she doesn't realize her new best friend is a wacky alien created by mad scientist Dr. Jumba. Who is now sent to earth to retrieve Stitch.
There is a nice story line here about an older sister trying to raise her younger sister that gets bogged down by slapstick. The whole thing came across as lazy. I was thinking Disney is better than this. The writing was lazy. Cobra kept popping up in the weirdest places at the perfect time. Slapstick and a surfing music montage was used as fillers. The animation was Saturday Morning Cartoonish. It looked flat. Hawaii and no bright colors! I know the islands are big and in some place unpopulated, but there was no crowd scenes in some places there should have been. Other than a dance scene and a firetruck scene there seemed to be no one else on the island. It just seemed lazy.
Fun and not so fun facts:
Daveigh Chase went on to star in the TV show Big Love
145 million dollar gross was the largest since Tarzan at the time.

Just the millions it made tells me it was not made for me. This was not a movie for adults in my opinion. Kids love Stitch. I do not get it. They do. I mean an animated series was made after the movie. However, I would give 2 out of 5 Mickeys. The two represents the sisters storyline, not Stitch. I was hoping the movie would change my mind..no, sorry.

Well, next week I have to choose between one of my favorite animated films and a pretty good live action film.

Have a peaceful week and thanks for your time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom