52 in 52 week 41

phllymouse

Original Poster
Week 41 bgings us to the 2001.
The choice was difficult:
The Princess Diaries
or
Monsters Inc.
This was hard. The Princess Diaries I really like. In Ann Hathaway a star is born. I love the cheesiness of Gary Marshall films. I would give it 4 1/2 of 5 stars. Are you like me? Do you think these two things while watching the film? Wow, cool renovated firehouse, I want to live there. And second, when (the wonderful) Hector Elizondo is dancing with Julie Andrews at the end do you wonder if he is thinking.."Holy crap, I am dancing with Julie Andrews. How did I get here?"
However I decided on the fourth PIXAR film Monsters Inc.. Of the 13 PIXAR films, Monsters Inc., on my list would be in the bottom six. Which is not bad. I mean it is PIXAR. It is like saying this is one of my bottom rated pieces of chocolate. But still it is chocolate! I never connected with it. I think it is because I do not get Billy Crystals comedy. It always seems dated to me. Maybe that is the joke, it is dated. I just never got it. So I decided to go back and see if watching it again after some years if it moves up the scale.
I am not going to insult you with a synopsis of the movie. Just my opinion of the film this time around.
Wonderful voice casting as always.I think John Goodman is just fantastic as Sulley. He is a rockstar in the film. However he keeps his voice real mellow and kind. It is sort of a dichotomy compared to the way he looks, big and scary. A great, sleazy villan always works and Steve Buscemi(Boardwalk Empire) as Randall is pitch perfect. Without him the movie would lack. Rozz, yes played by a man, Bob Peterson, a PIXAR writer, fantastic. In the work place we all know a Rozz. Jennifer Tilly as Celia, and John Ratzenberger returns as the Abominable Snowman, do nice work in small roles.
The dvd I had had a small short Mikes car. Not good. Had some "Outtakes", they were ok, not as good as the Toy Story 2 ones. I did like the behind the scenes on the voice talent. It was about five minutes and it is well worth a look.

Fun and not so fun facts:
Mary Gibbs who voiced Boo, was two and a half when they were recording the movie. She would not sit still, so they followed her around and recorded her voice while doing so. The looped what they needed into the film. She is the daughter of director and animator Rob Gibbs.
Bob Peterson, Rozz, also voiced Dug for UP.
Bill Murray tested for Sulley. They liked him and tried to offer him the job but they could not get hold of him. They took that as a no.
On the scare board, below Sulley and Randall, is Ranft. Joe Ranft is a longtime PIXAR writer.
Jennifer Tilly was married to Sam Simon, who was one of the creators of The Simpsons. She raved to the Pixar crew about a script she read written by a Simpsons director for an animated film. The director was Brad Bird and the script was for The Incredibles which became a Pixar film 3 years
later.

I really enjoyed watching Monsters Inc. again. It has been awhile. It is a very creative and odd premise that works. The scenes with the doors are fantastic, though a little long. The computer animation is beyond words (Sulley's fur!!) In the past I would give it 4 Mickeys..I think I may have to upgrade it to to now give it 4 1/2 out of 5. I enjoyed watching it again. I think it is a must see again, even as a refresher before Monsters U. If you are looking for a nice place to send your children to school here is the link:
http://www.monstersuniversity.com/edu/

Have a great week.
I live in the NE. The leaves look wonderful which is great. However it tells me the cold is coming..not so great.

Thanks as always for your time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom