40th Birthday Trip

Okay guys...I really need your opinion. Since everyone in here are avid Disney enthusiasts like myself, I need to know what all of you would do. My 40th birthday is a year away (January 26) but I'm already beginning to plan my trip. Hey...I don't turn 40 everyday. I really want my family to go too which would consist of my hubby (of course), dad & step-mother, Sister (and her possible hubby and daughter), Brother and his girlfriend and baby (who will be 1 at the time). Even though the Disney girl in me would LOVE to spend the week at The World, I know my dad isn't a fan. So far, we have talked about a 4 day cruise then just the hubs and I would spend a couple of days at Disney. Here's my dilemma. I've read where the waters are still really cold in the Bahamas in January. Has anyone ever gone to the Bahamas at this time a year and if so, is this accurate? I nor has my husband ever been on a cruise before so I know I would have a great time plus get my Disney fix to close out my trip. If we choose the cruise option though, I know my brother in law will not get on a ship. Some phobia or something...not really sure so he would keep my niece at home and my sister would still come. If I choose the Disney all week route, I know my dad did enjoy the campground when he went before therefore my sister's family could join in as well. Dad doesn't even have to step foot in the parks if he doesn't want to.

So what I'm asking is which would you do if you all were in my shoes? A cruise and a couple of days in Disney or just a full week at Disney?

Am I just trying to please too many people in hoping I can get everyone to come or should I just do what I feel like doing?

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

I'd suggest a week at Disney (out of deference to your ship-phobic brother-in-law, and the travel expenses for your whole family -- might as well get their money's worth if they're going to make the journey.)

When we've had multi-generational trips, I do the organizing part. I hold a family meeting to learn everyone's touring/attraction/schedule/dining preferences, and then make ADRs and FP+ with those in mind. Other than a couple of "mandatory" events (in my family's case, it's dinner ADRs), everyone is free to join us for as little or as much as they want. I have a binder that I leave in our suite (if we weren't staying together, I'd make one for each room in the party) with park and resort maps, restaurant menus, transportation information, contact sheets, and most importantly, a schedule sheet for every day with park hours, the park where my family plans to go (and what time we're heading out in the morning), FP+ reservations and ADRs, etc., and a list of alternate ideas (e.g., Downtown Disney, mini-golf, nearby pools, free resort tours, and how to get there) and then those who want to depart from the schedule are free to do so -- and know where to find us when and if they want to meet back up. It keeps us all -- literally -- on the same page. :)

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful birthday!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Oh, and about the water temps in the Bahamas... It all depends on whether 72 degrees or thereabouts is cold to you. DH and I once went swimming in Jamaica in similar temperatures, in a mountain river -- as upstate New Yorkers, used to the chilly waters of the Finger Lakes, we were splashing around up to our necks like we were in a hot tub: meanwhile, Southerners and locals on the same tour were standing in the water up to their ankles, shivering uncontrollably and yelling that the water was "freezing." ;)

http://www.bahamas.com/water-temp-chart

Upvote 0

DisneyDarlin7679

Original Poster
Thank you for that link! It does make a difference. I will definitely hold that family meeting and find out everyone else's preferences. It would be fun to go on a cruise but I can never say no to a trip to Disney!

Upvote 0

Kosmo1986

It is your birthday and if you want to go to the WDW than I think you should plan that trip. If someone does not want to go the full trip they can go a few days and leave early or spend a few days not going to the parks.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom