40th Birthday Trip Conundrum

BigRedDad

My DW turns 40 on her next trip. She said she wanted to go to Disney and stay at Pop Century. I told her about AoA and she fine with that too. Either way, the rooms are $1000 for our stay (give or take). Knowing I have our reservation confirmed, I started looking for deals for an upgrade. I found we could get a DVC rental for BLT (5 nights) and VWL (2 nights) for about $1600-$1700. She did not want to change resorts. I am guessing it was the extra money because we are frugal and don't require Deluxe accommodations. Now, I have a friend of a friend that is a DVC and RCI owner that found a 1-Bedroom Suite at Boardwalk Inn. She would charge me her cost for the reservation and can pay her over time leading up to the trip. I also help her with other things as well: computer problems, odd yard work, heavy lifting/moving things now and then. It is a partial bday present and a way to say thanks for helping.

My question is whether I should even ask my DW or just do it? There's no way she could get mad at me when we get to WDW is there?

Last edited:

stevehousse

My DW turns 40 on her next trip. She said she wanted to go to Disney and stay at Pop Century. I told her about AoA and she fine with that too. Either way, the rooms are $1000 for our stay (give or take). Knowing I have our reservation confirmed, I started looking for deals for an upgrade. I found we could get a DVC rental for BLT (5 nights) and VWL (2 nights) for about $1600-$1700. She did not want to change resorts. I am guess it was the extra money because we are frugal and don't require Deluxe accommodations. Now, I have a friend of a friend that is a DVC and RCI owner that found a 1-Bedroom Suite at Boardwalk Inn. She would charge me her cost for the reservation and can pay her over time leading up to the trip. I also help her with other things as well: computer problems, odd yard work, heavy lifting/moving things now and then. It is a partial bday present and a way to say thanks for helping.

My question is whether I should even ask my DW or just do it? There's no way she could get mad at me when we get to WDW is there?
I would suprise her with it! So u r gonna switch and stay the entire length there? Sounds like a good suprise!

R u taking MDE though? She would obviously figure it out then, unless u want to be special and rent a limo for the arrival so it really is a suprise. U can always take the MDE back to the airport only...

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Original Poster
We are driving. Went to check flight cost and it was $666 for the 3 of us. Definitely not flying. It is only about $150 round trip to drive.

Upvote 0

FrostyNaples

My DW turns 40 on her next trip. She said she wanted to go to Disney and stay at Pop Century. I told her about AoA and she fine with that too. Either way, the rooms are $1000 for our stay (give or take). Knowing I have our reservation confirmed, I started looking for deals for an upgrade. I found we could get a DVC rental for BLT (5 nights) and VWL (2 nights) for about $1600-$1700. She did not want to change resorts. I am guessing it was the extra money because we are frugal and don't require Deluxe accommodations. Now, I have a friend of a friend that is a DVC and RCI owner that found a 1-Bedroom Suite at Boardwalk Inn. She would charge me her cost for the reservation and can pay her over time leading up to the trip. I also help her with other things as well: computer problems, odd yard work, heavy lifting/moving things now and then. It is a partial bday present and a way to say thanks for helping.

You mentioned the issue was cost with your DW. The first option you gave was $600-$700 over, and that wasn't being taken well.

So what is this newer DVC RCI connection cost vs your original $1000? Is it just as much over as your second option?

You also mentioned your don't require Deluxe accommodations, but it seems you may be pushing the issue in that direction to help the celebration along.

You know your DW best, if they are going to be upset you spent the extra money, then don't bother.

If you know they will enjoy it once there, go for it.

Other than it being a 'frugal' decision, it doesn't sound like the extra cost would be a 'burden'. If it were, you wouldn't be asking right?

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

I'm frugal. If you can get the 1 bedroom for $1000 then do it. However if you will still end up paying $1600-$1700 then I wouldn't.

If it were me, I would rather my SO save that money for a special meal or something.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Original Poster
I am getting the 1-Bedroom for $1200 vs almost $1000 for AoA. The Studio room quotes I was getting were $1600-$1700 for a split stay (~140 Points @ $12/pt). For $200 more, moving to a 1-bedroom suite, and from AoA to Boardwalk, I think it is worth the change. I should be closing on the contract later today.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Original Poster
We booked it. We are waiting for the contract and reservation transfer to complete. I get no say in what we do on her birthday. We are going to MK (going to be packed the day after the SB). We have lunch at Crystal Palace (11AM) and dinner at 'Ohana (5:30PM). We will probably go back to MK after to shop, trade pins, fireworks, parades.

Upvote 0

FrostyNaples

We booked it. We are waiting for the contract and reservation transfer to complete. I get no say in what we do on her birthday. We are going to MK (going to be packed the day after the SB). We have lunch at Crystal Palace (11AM) and dinner at 'Ohana (5:30PM). We will probably go back to MK after to shop, trade pins, fireworks, parades.

$200 certainly shouldn't create any animosity. Let the magic begin! :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom