4 Hours a Park - Trip Report

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
One week ago today I visited the Disneyland Resort from Las Vegas, arriving at 8:50am via the Resort Express bus and leaving at 5:50pm to return to LAX. The weather was all over the map, but despite my limited schedule I was still able to do 10 attractions (two of them twice), eat two meals, look in some stores and overall have a wonderful time. It was my first experience seeing DCA since Cars Land and Buena Vista Street opened, along with Haunted Mansion Holiday and Halloween Time.

Before I get into more details, I want to comment on my dinner at the French Market Restaurant. While dining there it reminded me of how great a gap there is between the experience of visiting Disneyland Park compared to Florida's Magic Kingdom. There's nothing (currently) in the latter park that compares with sitting in the shady French Market verandah, next to the river, listening to the jazz band play while eating decent quality/priced food on real plates with cuttlery like a civilized person. Even if every ride in MK were in perfect working order, it would still lack that kind on intangible experience that makes visiting Disneyland pleasant, even if the parks are crowded. Not everything in Disneyland is perfect (Winnie the Pooh is lame & Splash Mountain is in dire need of a refurb), but it's still the best Disney park in the USA.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Yes, 'Splash Mountain' was looking rather poorly in the Show element department last week ( I was in town, too ).
So many figures were missing, not working, or working but not lit.
Lots of light bulbs inside burned out, and a couple of scenes with fully functioning figures were in the dark with no lighting.

The strict fall protection rules in CA make things difficult for repairs to be done.
This is one of the main reasons I have been told that cause the Attraction to go through spells of not appearing it's best.
When I rode in April of this year, it looked fine and was fully lit.
Not so currently.

-

Californian Elitist

Splash Mountain is a hot @$$ mess, and I agree about Pooh. I only get on if I happen to walk by and it's a walk on, which it usually is.

French Market has great food and ambiance. It's really a nice change of pace from chicken tenders and fries.

Looking forward to reading more.

Californian Elitist

On my last trip, our crew all kinda decided the ride wasn't even worth the walk through the empty queue... Even though the best thing about DL's Pooh ride is the queue music loop.

Yep, sometimes we don't even get on if there is no line. I do like the queue, it's cute. I like the buzzing speakers.

Figments Friend

Never mind. I thought you meant Autumn Protection rules... Re read and wondered why I was such a dope...

:joyfull:

To answer your question,

There are rules imposed about how high employees can be for safely working within regulations without required fencing, banisters, or other such physical 'fall( ing ) protection' in place.
Several Disneyland Attractions were altered to bring them 'up to code' in that department...a couple a bit too overzealously...'Alice in Wonderland' probably being the most visably obvious.

-

mickEblu

I actually enjoy the Winnie the Pooh attraction for what it is. If we take off the nostalgia glasses, I don't think it's that far away in quality from the old Fantasyland dark rides. In fact, some things are better. The queue, newer figures, the ride vehicles being able to move up and down, some of the effects etc.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
First Four Hours - DCA

After being let into the park 30 minutes before official opening time I started my day in Hollywoodland with the intent of getting a FP for the Frozen musical. After finding out that the 11:30am show was cancelled, I decided to be amongst the first in line for ToT instead. Though its been 4 years since I went on the DCA version of the ride, I was very familiar with it because of its copy at Disney Studios Paris. It may not be as good as the Orlando original, but I'd prefer to see the current concept improved than simply changed to a Marvel experience. At least if they're not going to turn all of Hollywoodland into a Marvel area. Speaking of WDSP, that's exactly what this section of the park now looks like to me. BVS is so beautiful it makes it look much worse by comparison, even the main blvd. Adding trolley tracks didn't do much to fix this. This land, along with Paradise Pier, are the obvious drawbacks of the park now that every other land has been largely improved.

Next for me was the new Soarin'. I liked the previous incarnation, but this new one is significantly better. I couldn't get over how clear the picture looked and I wasn't bothered by the CGI as much as I thought I'd be. I ended up going on this twice (once with standby, once with Fastpass) and would certainly do so again. I also feel that tying in the immediate area surrounding the ride with the rest of the Grizzly Peak section was a good move on Disney's part.

After that was Cars Land, with lunch at Flo's V-8 Cafe. The ribs here may have been the best part of my day. Having BBQ sauce mixed with Coca-Cola sounded weird, but I can't disagree with the end taste. I also appreciated the flatware and cuttlerly at this location and was surprised to have a CM come up to my table and insist (before I had even started to eat) that I simply leave my tray on the table for him to clear aferwords. The staff and service here was better than many TS locations in WDW's parks. Lunch was followed by a ride on RSR (single rider queue), to determine whether this one lived up to the hype. I've seen other recent Disney rides like SDMT and Ratatouille in Paris, but this one takes the cake. Leagues better than Test Track and far bigger in person than pictures can do justice. Considering it's length, sets, AAs and thrill factor this is easily one of the resort's top three rides. I'm not a big fan of the movie Cars, but this area of the park is very impressive. I'd say objectively speaking RSR is better than Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, mainly for the fact that it's (almost) all real sets.

From Cars Land I moved onto TSMM in Paradise Pier. The wait here was the longest I spent in this park, but it was still at most an half hour. Queue has some nice gingerbread touches, but there's not much to look at and it's loud with everyone packed close together and the coaster overhead. The ride itself is the same as Florida, which is fine with me because I like that version too. The exit area reminds me of Grand Floridian a little bit.

Guest Relations had no issues upgrading my ticket to a park hopper so by 1:30pm I was on my way to Disneyland Park.

dweezil78

I actually enjoy the Winnie the Pooh attraction for what it is. If we take off the nostalgia glasses, I don't think it's that far away in quality from the old Fantasyland dark rides. In fact, some things are better. The queue, newer figures, the ride vehicles being able to move up and down, some of the effects etc.

I agree... I think it's just in the wrong part of the park. The differences between our version and WDW's version are pretty marginal (there's is a little better, but really only by a hair) -- yet the wait times are world's apart. I've waited longer in the FP+ line at WDW than I have in the standby line at DL.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Second Four Hours - Disneyland Park

While I could have spent a full day at DCA 2.0, I felt I couldn't go all the way to Disneyland and not visit Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom. So after I was done across the Esplanade I made my way to Main St. to start the next half of my day. While I would have liked to look in the stores and Candy Palace, I instead walked straight into Frontierland to get a FP for BTMRR before getting into the standby wait for HMH. It said 45 min, but was more like 30 and it gave me a chance to take pictures of the decorations and the restored queue graveyard. As for the ride itself, I loved it! Even more than regular Haunted Mansion (which I know will disappoint some to hear). I had seen many videos and pictures over the last 15 years of the attraction (I still have the Disney Magazine issue from 2001 that first detailed it), but none do them justice to that actual experience, especially the smell coming from the gingerbread house. The Hatbox Ghost was cool too, though he makes the rest of the ride's AA ghosts look stiff by comparison.

I had seen the new effects on BTMRR before, but it was nice to see them again. The only thing not working was the smoke on the 3rd lift after the TNT goes off. After that I saw three of the Princesses at Fantasy Faire before getting in line for Pirates. I didn't realize how far back the queue line runs for it, because there's this tiny courtyard behind Tarzan's Treehouse where they can put more people in if they need to. It was only a 15 min wait, but they still used that section to keep those waiting in line out of the main pathway. Pirates was obviosly good, but I think my favourite part of the ride may be the caves at the beginning. When you're in them you feel miles away from Anaheim and the rockwork looks very realistic. Plus it's different from the WDW and DLP versions. If only the old narration was still playing in that section.

Dinner was at French Market, as previously mentioned, and from there I went to see the train parked at the NOS RR station. I got my chance to talk to the CMs there and take my picture in the engine, since I knew I'd never get the chance to do either again soon. I'd recommend everyone else who is visiting DLR soon to do the same. It may not be a major show or event, but having the chance to get to know one of the park's attractions in detail, directly from the cast is something special and I'm glad Disney decided to do this instead of simply walling off all stations.

With only an hour or so to go, I found the Winnie the Pooh ride with only a 5 min wait and that Splash Mountain had a single rider line. I naturally had time to do both before using my FP for another turn on Haunted Mansion Holiday, which was the last attraction I wanted to do before leaving. I completely forgot to check the stores in NOS to see if the Hatbox Ghost POP figure was available, but it was overall more important to me to see the rides and not waste time shopping for things I could buy online when I got home.

At 5:30pm I made my way out of the park and back to the Grand Californian to take the bus back to LAX. It was a few minutes late, but that didn't stop me from catching my flight back to Las Vegas.

I obvisouly crammed quite a bit into a short time frame. Normally I like to tour Disney parks at a slower pace to appreciate the details and have a chance to let them sink in, but I still had plently of fun and don't regret going at all. With both parks now worth a full day of touring I think the next time I go to DLR it will be for a multi-night stay like my first trip. When will that be, I have no idea, but I'm honestly more interested in going back to DLR than returning to WDW anytime soon.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Yes, 'Splash Mountain' was looking rather poorly in the Show element department last week ( I was in town, too ).
So many figures were missing, not working, or working but not lit.
Lots of light bulbs inside burned out, and a couple of scenes with fully functioning figures were in the dark with no lighting.

Yes to all of this. Many figures hardly moved or were difficult to see because they were sitting in the dark.

At this point they should gut the interior and rethink how everything is laid out. The story is much easier to follow at WDW.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
The differences between our version and WDW's version are pretty marginal

I disagree. Not only are the order of the show scenes in sych with the animated short Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day (which is what the ride really is), the DLR version is missing the bit with Tigger, the "bouncing" effect of the cars and having the hero party, instead of a birthday one. The scenes also have slightly higher ceilings and precious ride time isn't wasted passing through flapping doors.

DLR's Pooh ride is sluggishly paced, has no novelty beyond the rocking car (which is used throughout the ride, instead of just during the flood for added effect) and has too little animation for the size of its rooms. It's a poor replacement for the Country Bears and a bad substitute for Hunny Hunt or some other better Pooh attraction. I like the queue as much as anyone else, but the ride is clearly another one of the low points of the Pressler era.

BrianV

I disagree. Not only are the order of the show scenes in sych with the animated short Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day (which is what the ride really is), the DLR version is missing the bit with Tigger, the "bouncing" effect of the cars and having the hero party, instead of a birthday one. The scenes also have slightly higher ceilings and precious ride time isn't wasted passing through flapping doors.

DLR's Pooh ride is sluggishly paced, has no novelty beyond the rocking car (which is used throughout the ride, instead of just during the flood for added effect) and has too little animation for the size of its rooms. It's a poor replacement for the Country Bears and a bad substitute for Hunny Hunt or some other better Pooh attraction. I like the queue as much as anyone else, but the ride is clearly another one of the low points of the Pressler era.

anxious to see this. The ride in WDW is great so I'll be interested in the differences.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Just a random aside on Paradise Pier,

Regardless of what happens to the rest of the park, this area still needs work done to it. It's obvious that when they did DCA 2.0 that they only got half-way done with Paradise Pier. Just take a look at the restrooms next to TSMM, some of the gift shops, the California Screamin' queue and you'll see plenty of dull, Pressler-era Disneyland design. Part of the probelm is that this section of the park is so large and you can see it all from most anywhere around the lagoon. This means you can easily see all that empty space and lack of detail, even from far away. The Pier needs to be more like DLP's Main Street which has these large scale buildings with lots of depth, color and detail to them (but still work together when placed side-by-side). The land still has some fun rides, Ariel's Grotto and World of Color, but it needs the elements shown in this model from a few years ago to really make it stand on par with the rest of the park:

wpid-20140501_174604.jpg

PPmodel2.jpg

Hopefully, something like the remake of Condor Flats to Grizzly Peak Recreation Area is in the works.

No Name

First Four Hours - DCA

After being let into the park 30 minutes before official opening time I started my day in Hollywoodland with the intent of getting a FP for the Frozen musical. After finding out that the 11:30am show was cancelled, I decided to be amongst the first in line for ToT instead. Though its been 4 years since I went on the DCA version of the ride, I was very familiar with it because of its copy at Disney Studios Paris. It may not be as good as the Orlando original, but I'd prefer to see the current concept improved than simply changed to a Marvel experience. At least if they're not going to turn all of Hollywoodland into a Marvel area. Speaking of WDSP, that's exactly what this section of the park now looks like to me. BVS is so beautiful it makes it look much worse by comparison, even the main blvd. Adding trolley tracks didn't do much to fix this. This land, along with Paradise Pier, are the obvious drawbacks of the park now that every other land has been largely improved.

Next for me was the new Soarin'. I liked the previous incarnation, but this new one is significantly better. I couldn't get over how clear the picture looked and I wasn't bothered by the CGI as much as I thought I'd be. I ended up going on this twice (once with standby, once with Fastpass) and would certainly do so again. I also feel that tying in the immediate area surrounding the ride with the rest of the Grizzly Peak section was a good move on Disney's part.

After that was Cars Land, with lunch at Flo's V-8 Cafe. The ribs here may have been the best part of my day. Having BBQ sauce mixed with Coca-Cola sounded weird, but I can't disagree with the end taste. I also appreciated the flatware and cuttlerly at this location and was surprised to have a CM come up to my table and insist (before I had even started to eat) that I simply leave my tray on the table for him to clear aferwords. The staff and service here was better than many TS locations in WDW's parks. Lunch was followed by a ride on RSR (single rider queue), to determine whether this one lived up to the hype. I've seen other recent Disney rides like SDMT and Ratatouille in Paris, but this one takes the cake. Leagues better than Test Track and far bigger in person than pictures can do justice. Considering it's length, sets, AAs and thrill factor this is easily one of the resort's top three rides. I'm not a big fan of the movie Cars, but this area of the park is very impressive. I'd say objectively speaking RSR is better than Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, mainly for the fact that it's (almost) all real sets.

From Cars Land I moved onto TSMM in Paradise Pier. The wait here was the longest I spent in this park, but it was still at most an half hour. Queue has some nice gingerbread touches, but there's not much to look at and it's loud with everyone packed close together and the coaster overhead. The ride itself is the same as Florida, which is fine with me because I like that version too. The exit area reminds me of Grand Floridian a little bit.

Guest Relations had no issues upgrading my ticket to a park hopper so by 1:30pm I was on my way to Disneyland Park.

Just realized this is an old thread but will comment anyway. Sounds really great, especially for only 8 hours. If my time was so limited, I would probably be too stressed and rushed to fully enjoy the place.

I'm overdue for a trip to DLR and will be experiencing much of the same things for the first time, so it was a good read.

Minor thing, your opinion about RSR is subjective, not objective. Objective means not influenced by personal opinion or bias. I appreciate when others take the time to correct me on wrong word usage, and so maybe you'll appreciate that too. Or maybe you'll think I'm just weird and annoying.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
This was an especially interesting read for me since I have been to WDW over 15 times in the last four years but have NEVER been to DLR! We'll be there tomorrow, though!!

Have a great time! Be sure to see the things you can't do in WDW like the castle walk-through or the Alice in Wonderland ride.

Just realized this is an old thread but will comment anyway. Sounds really great, especially for only 8 hours. If my time was so limited, I would probably be too stressed and rushed to fully enjoy the place.

Had I not been before, I would have for sure been more stressed. But I had a general idea of what I wanted to see, so I was able to focus on that and just enjoy the time I had at the Resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom