3D Overkill?

Jahona

Terminator isn't a ride.
I specified my post precisely with rides at USF although i didn't say rides i said not to include shows which terminator is a show. I should have worded it better, sorry!

I was still on the thought process of "attractions" and not counting specific rides vs shows. We kind of have an opposite thing going on between WDW and Uni. WDW seems to favor 3D for shows vs. using them on rides, while Uni uses 3D on it's rides.

sonoma15

But the combination of screens and physical props is what makes a Universal attraction unique, they do it so well it feels like your not even looking at a screen at some parts...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I really enjoyed my trip to Universal. But I was wondering if anyone else felt like there is maybe too much emphasis on 3D on most of the new rides? I like it, but Transformers felt pretty much like Spiderman and Gringotts was fun but I found Mummy to still be superior because it's not the 3D screen causing it it's actual tangible set peices.
Now my color blindness and or astigmatism may factor in because I seem to get less depth with the new 3D glasses than other people do, I am not sure why exactly but I guess it's one of the things I just mentioned causing it. But I think I also just prefer more of a variety in the rides.

It's certainly a valid complaint about UNI... and many parks (including Disney) go through these cycles where a certain ride technology/gimmick is used so often.. it can become tiresome. The 3D movie and motion simulator have both gotten that at UNI. The good news is many of them on their own are still good attractions, so its less about riding on the tech alone... but when consumed in bulk.. yeah sometimes it's 'ok, need a break from that' :D

KellNY

Now my color blindness and or astigmatism may factor in because I seem to get less depth with the new 3D glasses than other people do, I am not sure why exactly but I guess it's one of the things I just mentioned causing it.
I have amblyopia, and I, too, have noticed that I'm not very impressed by the newer 3D technology. In fact, I actively avoid the 3D option for popular movies, because I feel like the only effect it really has on me is a resulting headache. And I agree 100% about the Mummy. One of my son's and my favorite rides.

CarlFredricksen

Universal Studios Orlando 3D Rides
Transformers 3D
Despicable Me Minion Mayhem
Terminator 2
Escape from Gringotts.
Shrek 4D

Island of Adventure 3D Rides.
The Amazing Spider-Man

So 6 Rides total.
While not 3D, Simpsons another ride that relies on screens.

I agree with OP that Uni uses way to many screens vs sets for my liking. As I get older, motion sickness has kicked in, and I can't justify a trip to Uni Studios anymore. What will I ride? Rides with no screens...rockit, mummy, ET, MIB. 4 rides. That's as bad as DHS.

I think the total number of rides at Uni that rely on screen relative to number of rides they have is much higher than Disney.

JordanNite

A combo of screen and actual physical ride is the way forward.

Eg. Despicable me ride is just too basic - a rather tame screen ride. Completely fine on it's own, but feels a bit too much screen when you constantly go on them.

However, ForbideN Journey blends both a screen ride and an actual physical ride so perfect it's almost the greatest ever ride known to mankind.

HTF

If Disney could produce at the level creative does in terms of dimensional multimedia you would see more of it but they just simply cant. Not a knock against Disney but it's just not their strong suit so they make up for in other ways. Thierry Coup is pretty much "the guy" for multimedia film production in theme park rides. And before anyone says Ratatouille just stop. That film has some serious squinching and depth issues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom