30 Days of Disney - Day 21 - an overrated movie

Matt_Black

I am inviting almost certain flaming but....

The Nightmare Before Christmas

I don't think the film itself is overrated, but Burton gets entirely too much credit for it. He didn't direct it, and he only co-wrote the story, based on a poem he wrote. It's the Empire Strikes Back of Burton films.

Aquira

Before I clicked this I knew a good chunk of the answers would be Frozen. At what point it something popular and overrated when so many people seem to dislike it? :rolleyes:

copcarguyp71

I don't think the film itself is overrated, but Burton gets entirely too much credit for it. He didn't direct it, and he only co-wrote the story, based on a poem he wrote. It's the Empire Strikes Back of Burton films.

Believe me...I WANT to like it as those who do seem to be absolutely enthralled by it but after watching it twice through (on two separate occasions) I just found myself wanting those two and a half hours back. Just my $0.02 though...

FettFan

I never did like Pocahontas from an animation standpoint....after doing movies with rich and vibrant colors....and then when Pocahontas comes around, they go with a pastel palette. I don't know what angle they were trying to go with, what kind of emotions they thought they could get out of such blandness....but all they did was make me bored.
Case in point: Flit.
859868_1319069128891_full.jpg

Flit, as you may recognize is *supposed* to be a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird. In real life, these hummingbirds are really stunning to look at.
ruby-throated_hummingbird_2_by_bill_stripling.jpg

Their feathers actually have a metallic sheen to them. RUBY RED!

But no...Disney decided to make him boring and generic by using a freakin pastel color scheme....just like the rest of the film!

Pocahontas-disney-princess-21211030-680-405.jpg

Pastel Sunset! Isn't that FEELING?

cartoon-pocahontas-characters-disney-widescreen-high-resolution-wallpaper-widescreen.jpg

Feel your river trip and waterfall scene is TOO exciting? Just pastel up the backgrounds!

Or is the villain just TOO intense for youngsters?
6.jpg

Just pastel him up! (this is what you get if you were to take Captain Hook's character design and visually blend it with a blobfish.)

Pocahontas is, without a doubt THE most visually BORING Disney movie ever made.

Dj Corona

I would have said the Lion King, too, until Frozen came along....it's not that neither are horrible movies, I just think for me it's a combination of A) I'm missing the appeal, and B) Thee at times overbearing hype surrounding both outweighs the actual movies. As far as Nightmare Before Christmas goes, my friends and I were joking around the other day, that somebody somewhere saw it and grew up to be an executive in retail, and pitched the idea that, "Hey everybody loves this movie that combines Halloween and Christmas, what if once October 31st is over, we just jump right into Christmas Season, sorry about your luck, November and Thanksgiving!!" That being said however, I do enjoy Nightmare a million times more then the other two.

**I hate to be that guy, but there's also a certain irony to replacing Maelstrom with a Frozen ride, because that makes about as much sense as about most of the entire plot of Frozen**

Konor

I have to say Ratatouille. It was original I'll give it that but really tough to get behind the characters. I kept praying for Thomas O'Malley to show up.

FutureCEO

From Pixar: Monsters 2, Cars (all of them), Up, Ratatouille

Classic Disney: Dumbo and Bambi (I love animals too)

Medium Disney: Little Mermaid

Modern Disney: Princess in the Frog, Wreck It Ralph

Sorry I couldn't pick one

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom