News 2018 ticket price increases

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Feb 11 has been the surmised date of many here (myself included), since it's simply 1 year after the last price increase. ;)

They keep placing more and more terms and conditions on tickets. It's just ridiculous the lengths they are willing to do to in order to make sure you use these tickets NOW, instead of saving them for later... Seriously, how much revenue are they potentially losing by doing this? So now people will simply take fewer trips instead of spending more money now on park tickets to use later. Talk about overlooking a dollar to pick up a penny...

Its all about recognition of revenue in the current quarter. They dont care that you might only take one trip instead of 3 this year. And putting an expiry date on tix makes the balance sheet look better.

Its all about financial engineering at Disney these days. If they spent 1/10 the effort on improving the guest experience as they do on cooking the books people like me would find a heck of a lot less to complain about

Casper Gutman

I don’t need an Annual Pass. I need 2 days of tickets so my family can experience what the two parks have to offer. And I’m paying more for Royal Pacific than the Yacht Club, so I’m not sure the hotel is much different. It certainly isn’t significantly different. Yes, the unlimited FPs are a good deal and the reason we are paying more for that hotel. Still, a plurality of theme park visitors are going to do a park for each day - 4 days at Disney, 2/3 at Universal. And when you look at the prices, the cost for people are not significantly different.

I have no idea how you are paying more for the Yacht Club then the Royal Pacific. My last stay at RP, less than a year ago, cost less than 220 a night, including tax. That's less than Port Orleans. I'm very, very skeptical of your hotel pricing claims.

As to 1 day tickets - yes, both WDW and Uni want you to stay for multiple days and discourage quick visits in very similar ways. For multi-day visits, Uni is significantly cheaper, and an AP costs less than half as much. If your argument is that Uni isn't particularly eager to help people stay a week at WDW and visit uni for a day, that's a fair statement.

As to the 4 vs. 2 parks thing, that's a bunch of hooey. Uni has two complete parks, Disney has two complete parks (MK, which lacks necessary capacity, and AK, which is great). Disney also has a couple rides in a construction zone pretending to be a park and a husk of a great park that now serves mainly as the site of upcharge festivals.

drp4video

I have no idea how you are paying more for the Yacht Club then the Royal Pacific. My last stay at RP, less than a year ago, cost less than 220 a night, including tax. That's less than Port Orleans. I'm very, very skeptical of your hotel pricing claims.

As to 1 day tickets - yes, both WDW and Uni want you to stay for multiple days and discourage quick visits in very similar ways. For multi-day visits, Uni is significantly cheaper, and an AP costs less than half as much. If your argument is that Uni isn't particularly eager to help people stay a week at WDW and visit uni for a day, that's a fair statement.

As to the 4 vs. 2 parks thing, that's a bunch of hooey. Uni has two complete parks, Disney has two complete parks (MK, which lacks necessary capacity, and AK, which is great). Disney also has a couple rides in a construction zone pretending to be a park and a husk of a great park that now serves mainly as the site of upcharge festivals.

I know. We are going in May. We have four full days and two travel days. Plan is to take an early flight and do Epcot the day we get there, then AK and MK, and the two universal parks, then DHS the day we leave and try for a late flight. My daughter only wanted to take 4 days off work so with weekend we get 6 days, sort of. We used to go several times a year when she was younger, and had AP's, then switched to 10 day hoppers with no expiration when we started going once a year. This allowed us to do the four parks and three trips. Now, she hasn't been in 5 years and I haven't been in 3 years, so I feel like even though DHS and Epcot have a lot missing, I still want to do those parks. We always stay at Disney because I have the Disney Visa and the points will pay for POFQ. Thought about trying to do both parks at Universal in one day to save on the cost, but I don't want to rush since we haven't been there in 5 years. (saw Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure only so we want to do studios and ride the Hogwarts train). Based on the cost of tickets though, this will probably be our last visit for a while. I don't think the daily cost is that much for a park if you think about what you pay to go to one play or sporting event that only lasts 3 hours as opposed to maxing out about 10 hours or more in a park for the same price, but when you add up the cost of 6 parks all at once, then it gets to me. Happily, I don't have school age kids so I can go during non holiday times and avoid the summer. If I had to go at those times, the crowds are insane and attractions are too crowded, and I am not sure I would be going back in May.

drp4video

The Robert Iger Company, ladies and gentlemen. Its motto is to undo everything Walt worked so hard to build, squeeze every last cent out of park guests, and give as little as possible in return. Because stockholders! :rolleyes:

I'm a stock holder, and trust me, the dividends are not that great. I would say it's more about Iger and Company pay themselves.

erasure fan1

Its all about recognition of revenue in the current quarter. They dont care that you might only take one trip instead of 3 this year. And putting an expiry date on tix makes the balance sheet look better.

Its all about financial engineering at Disney these days. If they spent 1/10 the effort on improving the guest experience as they do on cooking the books people like me would find a heck of a lot less to complain about
Exactly, how about instead of pouring money into a system that tries to save pennies making sure someone doesnt get some extra soda that only cost pennies to begin with. That even as it was, made huge bank. You put that money into something useful that raises guest satisfaction instead of lowering it.

indyumd

Go ahead and price out Royal Pacific on March 26 and 27 and lemme know what you come up with. Cause I’d love to lower the price.

Casper Gutman

Go ahead and price out Royal Pacific on March 26 and 27 and lemme know what you come up with. Cause I’d love to lower the price.
Well, a quick glance at the Uni crowd calendar shows you're going on two of the most crowded days of the year (tied with four or five days at Christmas). RP is coming up as 409, which is high, but it is peak season. Of course, if you stay a few more days, the price per day goes down. And in any case, it's a LOT better than the 679 per night you would pay during the same period at the Yacht (that's a pool view, which is all that's available.)

Comparisons aside, 679 is simply mind-boggling for the Yacht. It's... indecent. I love the Yacht and Beach, I grew up spending vacations there, and everyone is free to spend their money as they like, but I have absolutely no idea - none - why anyone would EVER pay 679 (before tax) for a Yacht Club room.

Those YC rates actually make me both angry and sad.

erasure fan1

Those YC rates actually make me both angry and sad.
I feel that way about Disney hotels in general. They charge an ultra premium price but only give you ultra average. A room at riverside was no better a room than La Quinta or Holday inn. Now I get you pay for the staying on property and convenience... But man, is the discrepancy between what Disney considers deluxe, and what the rest of the world does, crazy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom