News 2018 ticket price increases

kong1802

I’m paying $1,000 for my family of 4 to go to Universal for 2 days and to be able to ride the Hogwarts Express, not including the nearly $500 Universal hotel room and any food, drink or souvenirs. Sorry, but that is in no way a “FAR better value than WDW.”

Well, you could pretty much get AP's at that price at UNI, and you are going to get a better hotel than you would at WDW at that price point (subjective, but IMO true), and you get unlimitted FP's with no planning hassle......

So there is that.....

indyumd

Well, you could pretty much get AP's at that price at UNI, and you are going to get a better hotel than you would at WDW at that price point (subjective, but IMO true), and you get unlimitted FP's with no planning hassle......

So there is that.....

I don’t need an Annual Pass. I need 2 days of tickets so my family can experience what the two parks have to offer. And I’m paying more for Royal Pacific than the Yacht Club, so I’m not sure the hotel is much different. It certainly isn’t significantly different. Yes, the unlimited FPs are a good deal and the reason we are paying more for that hotel. Still, a plurality of theme park visitors are going to do a park for each day - 4 days at Disney, 2/3 at Universal. And when you look at the prices, the cost for people are not significantly different.

winstongator

Is there any evidence that attendance has increased so much that they need to take this pricing strategy? If anything anecdotal evidence suggests an overall attendance decline during peak times. Hotel room occupancies (non dvc) are down and guest spending is down. I know @ParentsOf4 had some numbers to correlate this and can probably speak better than I can about it. My thinking is that Disney is simply trying to compensate for lower attendance by charging more and cutting back park hours and entertainment and adding more upcharge events just to maintain the bottom line.
Parks and resorts is Disney's golden goose. Revenues up 13%, profits up 21%. Compare to media networks (ESPN) where revenues were flat and profits down 13%. This is 1Q18:

https://ditm-twdc-us.storage.googleapis.com/q1-fy18-earnings.pdf

Higher operating income at our domestic parks and resorts was driven by guest spending growth and an increase in attendance, partially offset by higher costs. Guest spending growth was due to higher average ticket prices, food, beverage and merchandise spending and average daily hotel room rates. The increase in costs was driven by labor and other cost inflation, expenses for new guest offerings and an 4 increase in depreciation associated with new attractions. At our cruise line, growth was primarily due to higher passenger cruise days, which reflected the impact of the Disney Wonder dry-dock in the prior-year quarter. The increase at Disney Vacation Club was driven by sales at Copper Creek Villas & Cabins in the current quarter.

winstongator

U
To be fair, we paid $350 pp for our Uni AP's (no blackouts), and $800 for our WDW AP's (no blackouts)......
Uni definitely incentivizes longer stays. It was only about $30 to add 2 days to our last trip there. We still have one day left to use before June. To be fair, Disney does too. A one day ticket is like $120, but I can get a 4-day FL resident ticket for around $180. We've been passholders for 3 years, so no real attention to ticket prices. Hotel room prices...that's where they get me.

kong1802

I don’t need an Annual Pass. I need 2 days of tickets so my family can experience what the two parks have to offer. And I’m paying more for Royal Pacific than the Yacht Club, so I’m not sure the hotel is much different. It certainly isn’t significantly different. Yes, the unlimited FPs are a good deal and the reason we are paying more for that hotel. Still, a plurality of theme park visitors are going to do a park for each day - 4 days at Disney, 2/3 at Universal. And when you look at the prices, the cost for people are not significantly different.

It depends on when you travel.

We went early December and paid $250 per night for Royal Pacific.

Yacht Club was still around $400.

Depending on the season, you can find more value at UNI than WDW.

But in your specific example, you are looking at roughly the same.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Take note of this.

Some options will increase by double digit percentage. Its fleecing time again.

I'm sure with the increased ticket costs it will mean extended park hours, more entertainment offerings, and better maintained facilities.

dr-evil-laughing.gif

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Take note of this.

*Checks spreadsheet with prices, $ changes, and % changes*

*Looks at Martin's statement again*

:in pain:

Should we get a pool going on ticket prices? :hilarious: My guesses:

- $115 for a one-day, non-MK park ticket (I think it could go higher, and obviously will be for MK)
- $525 for a 7-day park hopper
- $849 for a Platinum AP
- $939 for a Platinum Plus AP

I don't have other options in the spreadsheet I started, but the 7-day park hopper and now-Platinum AP have seen the largest price increases since Iger took over. I expect that trend to continue.

deeevo

*Checks spreadsheet with prices, $ changes, and % changes*

*Looks at Martin's statement again*

:in pain:

Should we get a pool going on ticket prices? :hilarious: My guesses:

- $115 for a one-day, non-MK park ticket (I think it could go higher, and obviously will be for MK)
- $525 for a 7-day park hopper
- $849 for a Platinum AP
- $939 for a Platinum Plus AP

I don't have other options in the spreadsheet I started, but the 7-day park hopper and now-Platinum AP have seen the largest price increases since Iger took over. I expect that trend to continue.
Don't think Silver and Gold will go up?

seascape

Take note of this.

I know I will be hated and attacked for this but I would not object to a 15% increase in ticket prices with a 10% discount for staying on property. Disney should build several more resorts in all categories and besides extra magic hours on site guests should get discounted tickets. Annual passes should get a 5% increase, keep the 20% discount on suveneers and increase the meal discount to 15%.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom