News 2018 ticket price increases

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I'm hearing rumors that a park ticket price increase for Walt Disney World will happen Sunday February 11, 2018.

The_Jobu

I was hoping to buy a ticket package before the price hike but it looks like they changed the fine print and any tickets purchased must be used before 2019.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Feb 11 has been the surmised date of many here (myself included), since it's simply 1 year after the last price increase. ;)

They keep placing more and more terms and conditions on tickets. It's just ridiculous the lengths they are willing to do to in order to make sure you use these tickets NOW, instead of saving them for later... Seriously, how much revenue are they potentially losing by doing this? So now people will simply take fewer trips instead of spending more money now on park tickets to use later. Talk about overlooking a dollar to pick up a penny...

anchorman314

Feb 11 has been the surmised date of many here (myself included), since it's simply 1 year after the last price increase. ;)

They keep placing more and more terms and conditions on tickets. It's just ridiculous the lengths they are willing to do to in order to make sure you use these tickets NOW, instead of saving them for later... Seriously, how much revenue are they potentially losing by doing this? So now people will simply take fewer trips instead of spending more money now on park tickets to use later. Talk about overlooking a dollar to pick up a penny...
While I completely agree with you from a consumer standpoint, it may not be as simple as that. There are likely some accounting principles and practices that come into play here. I don't pretend to know the specifics, but I do recall that there are certain restrictions on how this type of "advance" revenue can be recognized. I'm not naive enough to think accounting is the sole reason for the 'use by' restrictions, but I'd wager that it does play a large role.

The_Jobu

I'm ready to buy a pile of tickets for me and my fam, but we don't know if we're going in Dec or Jan and thus can't buy any tickets.

Thanks ESPN.

disneyflush

While I completely agree with you from a consumer standpoint, it may not be as simple as that. There are likely some accounting principles and practices that come into play here. I don't pretend to know the specifics, but I do recall that there are certain restrictions on how this type of "advance" revenue can be recognized. I'm not naive enough to think accounting is the sole reason for the 'use by' restrictions, but I'd wager that it does play a large role.

My company recently stopped Paid Time Off (PTO) rollover from one calendar year to the next. The official reason given was related to making sure everyone got the vacation they earned that year but the actual reason from Accounting employees was that the liability on the accrued/accruing balances was making forecasting and reporting much more difficult when the yearly report went to Wall Street and our stockholders. Some balances had been building for 20 years or more and if the company recognized the liability in 2000 at $17/hr but the employee used it in 2018 at $32/hr then it was becoming more challenging to account for the spread.

There are obvious differences in the scenarios but enough similarities to probably find truths. Disney also raises prices by 5-10% annually so purchasing years in advance would be a fantastic investment if there were no ticket restrictions on usage.

CaptainAmerica

My company recently stopped Paid Time Off (PTO) rollover from one calendar year to the next. The official reason given was related to making sure everyone got the vacation they earned that year but the actual reason from Accounting employees was that the liability on the accrued/accruing balances was making forecasting and reporting much more difficult when the yearly report went to Wall Street and our stockholders. Some balances had been building for 20 years or more and if the company recognized the liability in 2000 at $17/hr but the employee used it in 2018 at $32/hr then it was becoming more challenging to account for the spread.

There are obvious differences in the scenarios but enough similarities to probably find truths. Disney also raises prices by 5-10% annually so purchasing years in advance would be a fantastic investment if there were no ticket restrictions on usage.
You accounting department are a bunch of liars. The easy solution to that is to implement a cap where you stop accruing. Rather than wiping it all out on December 31, you just cap everyone at a maximum of 2x their annual accrual. So someone who accrues three weeks per year can't have any more than six weeks accrued at any given time. If they hit that cap, they stop accruing.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
You accounting department are a bunch of liars. The easy solution to that is to implement a cap where you stop accruing. Rather than wiping it all out on December 31, you just cap everyone at a maximum of 2x their annual accrual. So someone who accrues three weeks per year can't have any more than six weeks accrued at any given time. If they hit that cap, they stop accruing.

This. I stop accruing at 300 hours where I work and it carries over year to year but once i hit 300 I'm done.

21stamps

I think its fairly clear that the poster meant that the absurd prices at WDW seem to actively discourage visits from middle-class families. Which is a legitimate point. At the moment, Uni is a far better value than WDW.

Citing Halloween Horror Nights - an after-hours, upcharge event - as an example of how Uni is not family friendly is intellectually dishonest. Despicable Me, Seuss, Potter - Uni is plenty family friendly. And its getting moreso with the addition of more Potter, Nintendo, etc.

2 questions-

How much is a 1 Day Park to Park at Universal?

How many Fast Passes are included with that 1 Day Park to Park Pass?

21stamps

I’ll go ahead and post it..

For TWO parks, closing earlier than Disney Parks (4 btw)

Value-
A1AFC060-21AE-4AA3-82A4-4575C5D39DD9.jpeg

Anytime

FD0D9E84-8130-456E-9DCF-DB488755BBE7.jpeg

indyumd

I think its fairly clear that the poster meant that the absurd prices at WDW seem to actively discourage visits from middle-class families. Which is a legitimate point. At the moment, Uni is a far better value than WDW.

Citing Halloween Horror Nights - an after-hours, upcharge event - as an example of how Uni is not family friendly is intellectually dishonest. Despicable Me, Seuss, Potter - Uni is plenty family friendly. And its getting moreso with the addition of more Potter, Nintendo, etc.

I’m paying $1,000 for my family of 4 to go to Universal for 2 days and to be able to ride the Hogwarts Express, not including the nearly $500 Universal hotel room and any food, drink or souvenirs. Sorry, but that is in no way a “FAR better value than WDW.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom