2016: Best Year for Disney Movies?

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I think 2016 may have been the single best year for Disney releases to date. Not just in terms of box office, but overall quality of what was made by the company. Here's a list of what Disney movies came out this year and the Rotten Tomatoes critic's scores for each:

The Finest Hours (63%)
Zootopia (98%)
The Jungle Book (94%)
Captain America: Civil War (90%)
Alice Through the Looking Glass (30%)
Finding Dory (94%)
The BFG (75%)
Pete's Dragon (86%)
Queen of Katwe (92%)
Doctor Strange (90%)
Moana (95%)
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (85%)

Only one movie qualified as "rotten" (>60%) and most recieved 85% or better. Even if we remove the Marvel and Lucasfilm titles from the list, we're still left with two great Disney animated features, two much better than expected live-action remakes and a couple other well made live action films (I think Finest Hours in particular deserved to do better with audiences). I thought Alice 2 was better than 1, but that's only my opinion.

This was the first year all 5 of the company's divisions released at least one movie (Disney Animation, Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar and Disney [live action]), so there was an advantage over other years, but what do the rest of you think? Was there a better year when Walt was alive or Touchstone and/or Hollywood Pictures were given more attention?

Phroobar

I'd say Disney did pretty well this year.

1 Captain America: Civil War BV $1,153.3
2 Finding Dory BV $1,027.8
3 Zootopia BV $1,023.8
4 The Jungle Book (2016) BV $966.6
10 Doctor Strange BV $656.1
11 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story BV $573.8
25 Moana BV $335.9
27 Alice Through the Looking Glass BV $299.5
41 The BFG BV $178.1
52 Pete's Dragon (2016) BV $142.8
90 The Finest Hours BV $52.1
122 The Light Between Oceans BV $23.2
158 Queen of Katwe BV $10.0
Buena Vista Pictures (Disney) Summary (13 Movies):
Totals:
$6,442.8
Averages: $495.6
space.gif

Princess Leia

I saw 7/13 of the films, and I plan on renting BFG, Pete's Dragon, and Queen of Katwe at some point in the future. Of the 7, I saw Dory, Jungle Book, and Rogue One twice (possibly seeing RO again this weekend).

My own personal rankings for the 7 I saw in theaters:
  1. Rogue One
  2. Moana
  3. Finding Dory (I actually liked this one more than Nemo?)
  4. Jungle Book
  5. Civil War
  6. Doctor Strange
  7. Zootopia (I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I just wasn't crazy about this one)
Outside of Doctor Strange and Zootopia, I really enjoyed my top 5. Doctor Strange and Zootopia weren't bad, but to me, they weren't as enjoyable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom