2 New Ships to Join DCL Fleet in 2021/2023

tk924

I don't think they would allow another ship to dock outside of their own.
I did mean a second dock for one of the new Disney vessels.

I do not remember the % , but a good part of the island cannot be developed and was greed to remain undisturbed/ undeveloped.
I see. Well, then maybe they'll just stick to one Disney ship at a time docked at CC. These newer ships will probably have different itineraries anyway.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That would be awesome, even if one was docked and the others were just there. Speaking of which, did the Magic get her horns updated or can she only play the one song?
I am not 100% positive, but I think it got the upgrade it's dry dock in 2013

Ralphlaw

As much as I'm excited for these upcoming ships (and will probably be booking on day 1), I'm kinda disappointed they decided to go with larger instead of smaller...even though I totally understand why they went in that direction. Personally, I would pay twice as much for an 18+ only cruise on a smaller, more intimate ship that just visits Castaway Cay (OK, and Nassau if we really have to). Disney already has four ships dedicated to families, why not one ship for the people who are desperate for a Disney-style vacation, but don't want to acknowledge children exist for a couple of days?? :p

The idea of an adults only cruise would be an interesting one, but would likely come off as very Un-Disney. There are already adult only areas of the ships, but I can't imagine that just being around kids is so annoying to some adults that a specific cruise is needed to accommodate that wish. I can guarantee that people with kids will want to book that cruise because it happens to fall on the family's vacation week and is exactly where they want to go. Venom will spew, and Disney will have a black eye for being unfriendly to families. Also, the whole ship and cruise experience is set up for families and kids, from the characters to the club, the lab, the bunk beds in the cabins, etc ,. . . It would just be weird to be onboard without kids, like an adult playground with slides and swings but no kids.

Intriguing idea, but I can't see Disney ever going in that direction.

Tonka's Skipper

I did mean a second dock for one of the new Disney vessels.

I see. Well, then maybe they'll just stick to one Disney ship at a time docked at CC. These newer ships will probably have different itineraries anyway.

I agree, I don't think they would have 6 ships operating in home waters at the same time. 2 or 3, and rarely maybe 4.

Time should tell!

AKK

MaryJaneP

If ships cannot fit in Panama Canal with retrofit ducktail (Wonder maybe), we hereby volunteer for relocation cruise around the Horn for possible new itineraries. Again, while China/HK/Japan make sense internationally due to Park, how's this for wishful thinking: West Coast Australia, India, Madagascar? IMHO.

DisneyJoe

There are already adult only areas of the ships, but I can't imagine that just being around kids is so annoying to some adults that a specific cruise is needed to accommodate that wish.

I agree with you - especially given this statistic - approximately 30-35% of all passengers on a DCL sailing are traveling without kids.

NMBC1993

The idea of an adults only cruise would be an interesting one, but would likely come off as very Un-Disney. There are already adult only areas of the ships, but I can't imagine that just being around kids is so annoying to some adults that a specific cruise is needed to accommodate that wish. I can guarantee that people with kids will want to book that cruise because it happens to fall on the family's vacation week and is exactly where they want to go. Venom will spew, and Disney will have a black eye for being unfriendly to families. Also, the whole ship and cruise experience is set up for families and kids, from the characters to the club, the lab, the bunk beds in the cabins, etc ,. . . It would just be weird to be onboard without kids, like an adult playground with slides and swings but no kids.

Intriguing idea, but I can't see Disney ever going in that direction.

I'm glad to see someone else finds my idea as an interesting one. Thank you:) With that said, allow me to expand on my logic to try and explain where I'm coming from.

First of all, I'm the type of person who has a very short fuse (imagine a combination of Figment's imagination and love of creativity mixed with Anger's temperament...scary I know). With that said, it's not really the kids alone that get to me while on a Disney cruise, it's several elements combined that really push me to my limit. As of right now, I've been on 7 Disney cruises and have pretty much seen everything that the 3-7 day Caribbean cruises have to offer. Because of this, my cruise partner and I skip many of the "usual offerings" such as the shows, dinner in the rotating restaurants, Nassau etc. and mainly just sail for Castaway Cay, the new movies, Palo, Aquaduck and that overall Disney quality you don't see onboard other ships (heck, there's hardly quality in the park anymore).

Now getting back to my many levels of tolerance, as I said it's not just the kids, it's more the combination of kids acting out while the adults proceed to do nothing about it. For example on my last cruise, my cruise partner and I decided to try Cabanas for dinner as we've never tried it before and was wanting a change from the same three rotating restaurants. Well, not even 15 minutes into dinner a grandmother is seated next to us with I'm assuming her granddaughter. Right from the get go, the granddaughter starts bouncing all over the place, screaming her head off, demanding food that wasn't even on the menu, all while the grandmother just shrugs her shoulders and acted like nothing's wrong. Meanwhile because I'm siting in the booth that is connected to the granddaughter's, I'm bouncing up and down in my seat from the motion of the granddaughter. The whole dinner was like that and we had to just skip dessert because this grandmother would do nothing to calm down this child.

On the topic of adult-only areas. This is something that adds to my frustration as well. On two separate cruises I've seen children under 18 in the adult area, not just passing through but full on sitting in the area. On the cruise before last, a family brought their children on the upper deck to watch the firework. When a CM came by and told them they couldn't have children in that location, the family just acted like the CM never said anything. By the end of the show, the family was still there and never removed their children from the area. So, now we have "adult only areas" that are shrugged off by parents and employees yet, I can't go into the kid's area and have fun with their toys.

Finally, because my party and I only get off the ship at Castaway Cay, we tend to develop "cabin fever" after a few days which does not help with my frustration of the fellow guests onboard. All this combined together leads to my annoyance of a Disney cruise. Now would an adult-only cruise solve the problem of everything onboard? No. But if we eliminated the children, maybe things would be 25-50% better, at least in my case. Without kids, adults can't shrug off the responsibility of keeping them in-line. Plus, I'm sure there are plenty of adults who don't have/want kids but want to enjoy all the luxuries that a Disney cruise offers and be a child at heart. That's why I thought offering one smaller ship, or at least one special cruise a year for adults would be a very profitable investment. As to the "weird feeling" it would present on a Disney cruise, it wouldn't bother me at all. In fact, the less people onboard, the better (in my opinion).

Anyway, thanks for taking to time to read my extremely long explanation. Unfortunately, I do agree with everything you said and know that the possibility for this happening are very slim. But hey, I can dream :)

Edit: As a follow up to the survey involving the % of adults on a Disney Cruise. Could that possibly be because many adult cruisers see Disney cruises AS "just for kids and families" and don't sail because of this?? I've talked to many adult couples who had no idea about all the adult areas and such and just assumed it was a "theme park at sea" Maybe if the option was available, more adults would be inclined to sail?

Last edited:

EOD K9

My first two cruises were before my children were born. My wife and I managed to enjoy all the shows and meals without having to feel like children were a problem. I can see possibly one sailing, but an entire ship dedicated to adults would probably never happen. People annoy me too, however, I have learned to deal with it and enjoy life.....it is way too short. If adults didn't know about the specific areas allotted to them, they just didn't plan well enough or do the proper research.

NelleBelle

I'm sure that one could find annoyances if one was on an "adults-only" cruise. Your post reminds me of my mother. She loved the amenities of the Disney ship but was easily annoyed by all the kids and would constantly compare it to the Princess ships. Well, when I took a cruise with her on Princess , she was easily annoyed by other adults. My thought is she hates crowds and would likely do better with a private charter...maybe Disney could have extra-small yachts (e.g Adventures by Disney at Sea) that one could charter (for groups of 30 -50) that were for ages 21 and up :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom