1st Trip to Disneyland

mickeyfan1

Original Poster
Hey everybody. Needing some info about The Grand Californian and Disneyland park. My family and I are Disney World veterans. This will be our first trip to Disneyland. We will be staying at the Grand Californian for two nights. We will spend 1 day at the Disneyland park. We will not be going to California adventure due to time and other commitments. How close is the Disneyland park to the Grand? Do you arrive at the park by bus like you do in Florida? Also what are some fun things to do at the hotel and Downtown Disney? Any tips/info is appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.

BubbaQuest

The Grand California is as close as you can get to Disneyland, about 1400 feet according to Google Maps. Disneyland, DCA, Downtown Disney, and GCH are all on one parcel of land, unlike WDW. No buses needed, just walk out the side entrance, through Downtown Disney and you're at the main entrance to the parks.

Note however as DarkBeer mentioned in another thread, GCH is going through a major renovation this year. The grand lobby will be closed during the summer. Just throwing that out there if you are planning on going this summer. I'd recommend the Disneyland hotel over GCH during the construction even though the walk is a little further.

mickeyfan1

Original Poster
The Grand California is as close as you can get to Disneyland, about 1400 feet according to Google Maps. Disneyland, DCA, Downtown Disney, and GCH are all on one parcel of land, unlike WDW. No buses needed, just walk out the side entrance, through Downtown Disney and you're at the main entrance to the parks.

Note however as DarkBeer mentioned in another thread, GCH is going through a major renovation this year. The grand lobby will be closed during the summer. Just throwing that out there if you are planning on going this summer. I'd recommend the Disneyland hotel over GCH during the construction even though the walk is a little further.

westie

Don't be shocked but everything at Disneyland is smaller than WDW and therefore all withing walking distance. There is no reason you couldn't do both parks if your selective about what you do. The Grand has its own entrance to DCA. DCA is also unique and worth the visit. DTD is also small compared to WDW but is worth poking around after the parks have closed. Tangaroo Terrace at the Disney hotel is a fun place to eat as well as the Blue Bayou that sits in PotC. Reservations recommended.

Disney Analyst

If you want to do it right you need 2 days minimum at Disneyland, and one day at DCA.

However, with time constraints you could do both parks in one day, as they are a 55 second walk from each other. It would take a good plan, but you could definitely do it, and see all the major things.

PiratesMansion

I don't know what your arrival time would be, but since you're staying for two nights, have you considered getting a ticket for that evening? You could get a little more park time that way. Commuting time is not something to worry about since you can walk from your room and be in either park in 10 minutes or less.

I would definitely spend all of your time and energy on the parks. There's really nothing special about Downtown Disney, and although I haven't stayed there, I don't think there's anything about the Grand that merits spending more time there than you have to, give or take a fancy dinner at Napa Rose, if you want.

Definitely prioritize things that you can't do in Florida, but know that very few attractions are identical between resorts. Star Tours, any film attraction, Tiki Room, Midway Mania and Mermaid (both at DCA) are basically the same, but that's it. Sometimes the differences are minimal, sometimes they are significant. Definitely make sure you ride the Cali. versions of Pirates and Space Mountain. Most people prefer Splash Mountain in Florida, but it's another ride that's pretty different between coasts.

When are you visiting?

LongLiveTheKing

I don't know what your arrival time would be, but since you're staying for two nights, have you considered getting a ticket for that evening? You could get a little more park time that way. Commuting time is not something to worry about since you can walk from your room and be in either park in 10 minutes or less.
I feel like OP is using WDW logic for Disneyland and doesn't realize how close everything is to each other.

OP, your hotel is literally the closest and nicest one to the park. Everything Disney related is within walking distance. The only time you need to be in a vehicle is from and to the airport, although if you want to go to medieval times (like 10-20 minute drive) or another place you're interested in you obviously need a taxi.

For a sense of how close everything is http://www.tinkerbelltravel.net/uploads/7/0/3/5/7035776/9683097_orig.png?642

UofMGuy423

As a fellow WDW vet who made the switch to Disneyland, you need to throw your WDW transportation experiences out the window. When staying at the Grand, we would be at DLR's Main Street within 5 minutes of leaving our DVC room. It's that close. I would definitely recommend adding in DCA if you can and seeing Carsland, etc.

StarWarsGirl

Hey everybody. Needing some info about The Grand Californian and Disneyland park. My family and I are Disney World veterans. This will be our first trip to Disneyland. We will be staying at the Grand Californian for two nights. We will spend 1 day at the Disneyland park. We will not be going to California adventure due to time and other commitments. How close is the Disneyland park to the Grand? Do you arrive at the park by bus like you do in Florida? Also what are some fun things to do at the hotel and Downtown Disney? Any tips/info is appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.
First off, if you can, try for more than one day at DL. Unlike MK, it's pretty tough to cover the whole park in one day. If you're going out there, plan for at least two park days. I'd say three so that you can see DCA as well. Both of those parks, IMO, are better than any single WDW park.

It's a quick walk from GCH to DL. Five minutes tops. The two parks are less than a football field length away. Everything is super close together. You can be off site and still walk to the parks. The whole area is not nearly as large as WDW. Could probably fit in AK. But they pack a ton into a small area.

DTD isn't very large. It can be covered fairly quickly. Most of what is there can be done at home (think movie theater). There's not a lot to do at GHC either besides the pool or the spa.

The best thing you can do before this trip is to read up. Get the official guide book (even the unofficial one as well). Do NOT expect it to be like WDW. MK and DL are very different parks, and DCA is not anything like any of the WDW parks. I tell DL vets the same thing I tell WDW vets: if you go to the other one expecting it to be like the other, you won't have a good time. Just enjoy the ride. :) Also, even though you are a WDW vet, go in with the mentality of being a newbie. I've been to WDW, well, a lot, and I was just on my fourth DL trip. I still get turned around in DL, in spite of all of my WDW experience. Completely different.

Have a great trip. :)

StarWarsGirl

As a fellow WDW vet who made the switch to Disneyland, you need to throw your WDW transportation experiences out the window. When staying at the Grand, we would be at DLR's Main Street within 5 minutes of leaving our DVC room. It's that close. I would definitely recommend adding in DCA if you can and seeing Carsland, etc.
I 100% agree with this (also a WDW vet).

Also, if the OP is staying at Grand Californian, it's right outside the hotel to get to DCA. Literally right there. Well worth it, especially with all of the original rides in DCA.

Princess Kaylee

DL and CA are connected so park hoppers are logical and ideal. Check out Storytellers Cafe in your resort, it is a character buffet with woodland characters. Also check out Goofys Kitchen in Disneyland hotel for breakfast. Don't forget to pop into the bakery in California Adventure, they have the best chocolate covered rice krispy treats in the world! You will love the Indiana Jones ride. Have a magical trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom