1971 WDW Grand Opening

BigRedDad

I remember when nothing was out there. The Contemporary/Poly were the Haves and the Have-nots were at FW. I was there shortly after opening and dumping in a diaper still. I loved going a couple times of year, swimming in the lakes, River Country, and waiting in massive lines for Space Mtn several years later. So many memories.

Sneezy62

Thank you about a thousand times for this! I had no idea it was out there. I was only 9 but I remember my mom took a group of elderly folks from our church for one of the sneak previews and they saw Bob Hope. She took my grandparents next and they met a celeb, might have been Glenn Campbell. I imagine much of this was filmed during those sneak preview days. I think between she and dad they went 4 or 5 times before it opened with different groups. They wouldn't take my little brother and I though until after it had been open a few weeks cuz they just weren't sure it was a safe place to take kids. LOL Downloading and if see anybody I knew I'll make a note.

Also the opening part about Cape Kennedy being so close is spot on. The moon landings and Disney World opening were the two big deals in central FLA and I think they are completely linked in everybody's mind who grew up there.

Disneyhead'71

I watched it the night it was on TV. I remember it well. We sat enraptured by it. We had a trip planned for Christmas Week 1971 including my 8th Birthday (Dec. 27th) at the Poly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom