Pre-Trip 18 years of marital bliss means it’s time for some Surf n Turf action…..again.

So….it’s about that time again. For those unfamiliar with our shenanigans you may enjoy the following:
Surf n Turf vol 1: 16th anniversary trip
Surf n Turf vol 2: 17th anniversary trip
Surf n Turf vol 3: Cruising is not for the kid.

I hope you all have been having an excellent summer so far, ours has been BUSY! As the title suggests, this will mark our 18th anniversary and what is awesome is we will actually be in the bubble on our anniversary date! But first, some introductions:
DW: Laura and me: Sean
PhotoPass_Visiting_WDWRESORTSANDMORE_7724885381.jpeg

Lots of back story of here and I won’t throw it all at you again but long story short; my wife sat in front of me in the 5th grade and I still think that is pretty awesome!

So, those familiar with us should not be surprised, Disney Vacation Creep set in rather early this time and what was to be a Thursday arrival soon turned into a Wednesday arrival and the dates are:
October 19-21 AKL Kidani
October 21-24 Disney Dream
October 24-25 AKL Kidani

Love me a Dream sammy on Kidani! We actually did our Dream check-in just yesterday and booked a few things to do, one of those is a dinner at Palo again on Pirate night. We snagged a 6pm reservation this year so if we decide to take part in the costume festivities we can and we will be done in plenty of time for the fireworks. We also booked two excursions as placeholders and need to decide which one we want to do. We are holding a jet ski excursion for two and a snorkeling/rum tasting excursion. The DW is on the fence on which one to do. I’m fine either way as long as we have plenty of time to relax at Serenity Bay. Some other Dream stuff is TBD.

We’ve lined up a few ADRs and will probably add one other before we leave. What we have so far is:
Sanaa for dinner
Kona, our breakfast tradition the day we make for port.
Yachtsman for our anniversary dinner.

That’s it for now, more details to follow.

Last edited:

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So, back in May 2015 I was introduced to an amazing brew called Golden Monkey, by Victory Brewing, at Samawati Springs and every visit since I was sure to relive the enjoyment. Unfortunately, however, over time Disney's greed took hold and in just one year's time what was once a 16oz draft pour for $8 and a pitcher for $28 turned into a 12oz draft pour for $9 and no more pitcher option. This combined with other price hikes had me both very irritated and looking for a workaround for my tradition of GM at Kidani's pool. Just one problem, though, I've only ever seen GM on draft or in glass bottles, something prohibited at the pool. Not to be dissuaded I pushed on for a solution. Fast forward to last month when I get the genius idea to ask my local growler shop if they can get Victory in cans, more specifically Golden Monkey. Sure enough they could! I get the call last week and look what I brought home today, @coachwnh, I'm ready for some Samawati Springs pool side sipping
20160728_173005.jpg

That's a 6-pack of Golden Monkey IN A CAN!!! Suck it Disney! ;):D FWIW, that 6-pack was only $3 more than ONE 12oz draft.

coachwnh

So, back in May 2015 I was introduced to an amazing brew called Golden Monkey, by Victory Brewing, at Samawati Springs and every visit since I was sure to relive the enjoyment. Unfortunately, however, over time Disney's greed took hold and in just one year's time what was once a 16oz draft pour for $8 and a pitcher for $28 turned into a 12oz draft pour for $9 and no more pitcher option. This combined with other price hikes had me both very irritated and looking for a workaround for my tradition of GM at Kidani's pool. Just one problem, though, I've only ever seen GM on draft or in glass bottles, something prohibited at the pool. Not to be dissuaded I pushed on for a solution. Fast forward to last month when I get the genius idea to ask my local growler shop if they can get Victory in cans, more specifically Golden Monkey. Sure enough they could! I get the call last week and look what I brought home today, @coachwnh, I'm ready for some Samawati Springs pool side sipping
20160728_173005.jpg

That's a 6-pack of Golden Monkey IN A CAN!!! Suck it Disney! ;):D FWIW, that 6-pack was only $3 more than ONE 12oz draft.
Thats what I like to see. I actually have some GM in the refrig right now! Glad your local shop came through for you. Enjoy

coachwnh

We've discussed The Plaza Restaurant at MK. Amazingly, we've never been there. I saw a post it had updated the menu somewhat and the offerings looked pretty good. Any opinions?
We always enjoyed stopping there. The prices werent much different than a QS and the TIW card made it a no brainer for us. Plus, I love the milkshakes and sundaes!

Last edited:

cfry06

HUGE NEWS!!!

So a while back I had set up a waitlist for us to get into the Poly on our first night. Many days passed with no luck, including today. Regardless of being on the waitlist I still found myself searching the resort availability tool to see if there was any availability. Well today I run my query and see the Poly has availability! I quickly consult my waitlist request to make sure it had not been fulfilled, it had not! So, in a craze of excitement and panic I quickly start the process of booking the room WHILE at the same time opening another window to cancel our existing reservation so I could use those points. I had just canceled the AKL room and moved back to the Poly screen to confirm that I would be borrowing 2 additional points for the booking when the page refreshes and sends me back to the search page………I immediately request the same room at the same time only to be greeted by a notice of NO AVAILABILITY!!! The feeling of panic set in. I refreshed the page a few times for a few minutes and still no availability. Fortunately, the AKL room I just dropped was available so I began the process of booking that again when I noticed something. The 2 points I had borrowed for the Poly room had gone back to the next use year. This made me think that maybe the system had just released the reservation for the Poly I was trying to get. SO, I immediately close this window and open another and start the search process again and to my surprise, AVAILABLE!!! 1 minute later and BOOM, all linked up:
Untitled_2.jpg

This really works well for us since MK has EMH until midnight on this night! Plus the DW has fallen for the Poly so I was super excited to share this with her too. Looks like I’ll be spending the next 80ish days stalking the availability for the Poly on Thursday too….:D
Our Poly wait list for November just came through too!!! We had our first two days booked there, had to waitlist the rest - I had little hope as it was over Wine&Dine 1/2 Marathon & Veteran's Day. Miraculously it came through last week! :D:D:D Now "creep" has set in and we are hoping our last day we added we can get poly too. Right now we are at Saratoga.

Love GM! Victory is local to us here in PA. Have you tried any of the Sly Fox brews? Another local place here with some great options - cans available!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Our Poly wait list for November just came through too!!! We had our first two days booked there, had to waitlist the rest - I had little hope as it was over Wine&Dine 1/2 Marathon & Veteran's Day. Miraculously it came through last week! :D:D:D Now "creep" has set in and we are hoping our last day we added we can get poly too. Right now we are at Saratoga.

Love GM! Victory is local to us here in PA. Have you tried any of the Sly Fox brews? Another local place here with some great options - cans available!
Congrats!! Hopefully your last day will come through too.

I just checked my untapped and didnt see any Sly Fox check-ins so I don't think I have experienced them but from the looks of it I've GOT to try Ichor and Incubus. That Saison Vos doesn't look to bad either. I need to see if the growler shop can get it in.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Small update:

While we are still anxiously awaiting our Dream room assignment we did make a decision on two things:
1. We are going to leave early on our first day to head down rather than waiting until I teach my morning class. Hello online discussion assignment!!!
2. Not terribly impressed with the MK area food options we decide to try out ‘Ohana to-go!

You read that right! Guests staying at the Poly have the ability to partake in what is called the ‘Polynesian Twilight Feast which, in essence, is ‘Ohana dinner delivered to your room! It includes:
Spiced Chicken Wings
Pot Stickers
Salad
Yokisoba Noodles
Stir Fry Veggies
Skewered Meats and Shrimp
Bread Pudding
‘Ohana Sunset Punch

The price is $40 for an adult portion which, based on reviews, is enough for two people. So while the idea of the DW and I going to ‘Ohana and spending $120 for the two of us is not appealing I can deal with $40 for the same ‘Ohana food and enjoy it on our balcony the first night! I’m thinking some coconut rum might be the perfect mixer for that Sunset Punch .

Still have over a week before we make some FPs but really we are more excited to learn which room we will have on the boat.

Updates to follow!

piglet21

Small update:

While we are still anxiously awaiting our Dream room assignment we did make a decision on two things:
1. We are going to leave early on our first day to head down rather than waiting until I teach my morning class. Hello online discussion assignment!!!
2. Not terribly impressed with the MK area food options we decide to try out ‘Ohana to-go!

You read that right! Guests staying at the Poly have the ability to partake in what is called the ‘Polynesian Twilight Feast which, in essence, is ‘Ohana dinner delivered to your room! It includes:
Spiced Chicken Wings
Pot Stickers
Salad
Yokisoba Noodles
Stir Fry Veggies
Bread Pudding
‘Ohana Sunset Punch

The price is $40 for an adult portion which, based on reviews, is enough for two people. So while the idea of the DW and I going to ‘Ohana and spending $120 for the two of us is not appealing I can deal with $40 for the same ‘Ohana food and enjoy it on our balcony the first night! I’m thinking some coconut rum might be the perfect mixer for that Sunset Punch .

Still have over a week before we make some FPs but really we are more excited to learn which room we will have on the boat.

Updates to follow!

We had no idea you could order 'Ohana to the room! My fiance and I were trying to get a reservation there during our Poly stay part of our honeymoon with no luck! We're totally doing this instead!! And congratulations on the 18 years :D

imahistorygeek

I have an update as well.

We've decided to not do any excursions on Castaway. Sean will probably do the 5k. I may do the 5k. ;)
I have scheduled us for a massage on Nassau day.

We are STILL waiting for a room assignment. We did briefly consider changing to a confirmed room, but nothing starboard side, forward, aft, with verandah was available. I check every day for a room assignment. I'm almost 100% sure we will not do this again. It wasn't that huge of a cost savings.

I had no idea about the room service deal in Poly. I'm super-excited to try it out!

cfry06

Small update:

Spiced Chicken Wings
Pot Stickers
Salad
Yokisoba Noodles
Stir Fry Veggies
Bread Pudding
‘Ohana Sunset Punch

Updates to follow!
Annnnnnd we might be cancelling our Ohana reservation on 11/7 to try this instead! I had no idea this existed- thanks for the info!!

imahistorygeek

Honestly, I thought we knew about all the food options available at the Poly, but I was completely surprised to find out about this Twilight Feast. I'm not sure if this is just a well-kept secret or people know and just aren't interested. Or people are just not in the position to take advantage of the offering.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Small update:

Spiced Chicken Wings
Pot Stickers
Salad
Yokisoba Noodles
Stir Fry Veggies
Bread Pudding
‘Ohana Sunset Punch

Updates to follow!

Just wondering, @Tuvalu -- have you ever tried the Polynesian Twilight Feast that @lostpro9het described? I figure you're our resident Poly expert, but I don't think you've mentioned this awesome room delivery option.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Just wondering, @Tuvalu -- have you ever tried the Polynesian Twilight Feast that @lostpro9het described? I figure you're our resident Poly expert, but I don't think you've mentioned this awesome room delivery option.
The first thing I did was shoot @Tuvalu a PM asking about her about her thoughts on it. I mean it almost sounds too good to be true if you ask me. I cant wait to give it a go in October!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The first thing I did was shoot @Tuvalu a PM asking about her about her thoughts on it. I mean it almost sounds too good to be true if you ask me. I cant wait to give it a go in October!

I know--something @Tuvalu hasn't tried yet?!! :jawdrop: :D Just think of the status you'll earn among all of us here--you'll be the FIRST one to try something NEW at the Poly!! :joyfull: :joyfull: :joyfull:

imahistorygeek

Mini-Update

Received an email from DCL regarding our Halloween cruise. They have an adult costume contest.

4 categories: Most Disney, Most Spooky, Best Group, and Most Original

I just pitched an idea to Sean for most original. We're from Dahlonega, Georgia. Dahlonega was the site of the 1st major gold rush in the United States. My idea: I'm a gold nugget and he's a miner. The locals are called nuggets. I'll admit, this is about as creative as I get.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Mini-Update

Received an email from DCL regarding our Halloween cruise. They have an adult costume contest.

4 categories: Most Disney, Most Spooky, Best Group, and Most Original

I just pitched an idea to Sean for most original. We're from Dahlonega, Georgia. Dahlonega was the site of the 1st major gold rush in the United States. My idea: I'm a gold nugget and he's a miner. The locals are called nuggets. I'll admit, this is about as creative as I get.

I really like your idea--very original. I also think you'll stand out more, because my guess is that most people would do something with a Disney theme. So, I say, go for it!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom