13.1 Royal Miles

Who:

I’m Lindsay, a 26 year old vegan who has been going to Disney World since I can remember.

WildAfricaTrek064_zps62958321.jpg

Hayley, 22, currently working in the Orlando area.

WildAfricaTrek060_zps92cc6238.jpg

My mom (doesn’t care for having her picture taken), who has been the driving force for my sister and my Disney obsession.

Why: The Disney Princess Half Marathon

Where: Disney’s Pop Century Resort

The seed for this trip was planted right here on the boards. I had been reading trip reports in anticipation of an upcoming trip I little over a year ago and came across a report on the Disney runs. I read the report and thought it was interesting. I mentally filed the info away not really thinking too seriously about it. I have never been athletic or in any shape or form a runner. I didn’t think that I would ever be able to complete an event like this. Months later I came across another trip report. It was @WishIWasAtWDW ‘s 2012 princess half trip report and while reading it the wheels started turning and I started thinking that if I started training early just maybe I could do it.

Fast forward to the beginning of July…by this point for better or worse the decision had been made I was going to sign up. I started to train around this time using the Jeff Galloway method of run/walking. I started all the way at the beginning running three days a week starting with run 15s walk 45s to 20/40 to 30/30. My first 5k was able three weeks after I started training and I ran it using 30/30 on a crazy hot day 90 degrees and humid at the race start at 9am. It was not pretty but I did it in 37 minutes. I continued training working with up to and with a 1m/1m routine and ran my first 10k on Nov 10th. I was able to complete the course in 1:12:30 and submit the time to Disney for corral placement.

After that I started to work on the official program and increase my distance little by little. I was doing well until the week of Christmas. We went to Disney for a week and we were trying to fit so much in that I wasn’t able to run at all. It was a great holiday trip, but crazy busy. I came back and pushed to put myself back on schedule as I was a bit behind. Then things really started to go downhill around mid January. I developed a bad cold that made it hard to breathe let alone run. Once I thought I was over it I went out for a few more runs. Apparently this was not a good idea just yet. I ended up with bronchitis that pretty much nixed 90 percent of my runs and def canceled all of my long runs as the air was just too cold in Jersey (below freezing for most of the time) and my lungs couldn’t handle it. This was so far from ideal and from the training that I was picturing for myself leading up to the race…so frustrating.

With rest and luck I was able to get rid of most of the cough in time for the race. I had to cross my fingers and hope that the miles that I put in previous would be enough to carry me across the finish line.

rani8600

Original Poster
I am enjoying reading your report, I was there too! I was in corral G waaaay in the back! I am glad you took pictures of the giant TV's because where I was standing we couldn't see them at all! I was going to try to move up a few corrals, but I got a stress fracture in my foot from running outside with the ice cleats on my sneaks...Anyway I thought I may as well take it easy and just stay in the back not knowing if I could power through the pain... in hindsight I wish I had taken the time to stand in the line at the expo to move up, next time I guess.

I am sorry you missed the expo, it was nuts though :eek:! But lots of neat stuff to see and buy. I heard that you weren't the only one with flight delays and they actually allowed for packet pickup the morning of the race for people because so many ran into trouble with the weather...

I got to the race start super early and it was really nice because I got my picture with Rapunzel with almost no waiting (see avatar at left) and I found a nice spot to wait on the far side of the parking lot. Of course I had to stand around for almost three hours...

Can't wait to read how the race was for you. :) I had so much fun!!

Ahh… injuries, I was so worried about those in the weeks leading up to the race. I swear I had nightmares about them. I glad to hear you were able to make it through that race. Leading up to the race I saw so many people who were trying to sell their bibs because they were injured and weren’t able to run.
I was disappointed about the expo, but I try not to think too much about it. Gives me something to look forward to next time :)
Love your pic with Rapunzel, super cute!

Loving this report!

Gives me hope that I might train to run it one day.. I'm the least athletic person EVER, though. Stressful!

Haha, that was me. I never thought I would start running or working out at all before I decided to do this race. I mean if anything was ever going to motivate me to get out there and do it, it was the chance to run around Magic Kingdom with a tiara on my head taking pictures with princesses :D .

Awsome report almost makes me wish I still ran!

I was a few people behind Sean Astin. I didn't know who he was, though (whoops). lol ;) Awesome thread so far!

Lol…that would have been me. If I didn’t know in advance that he was going to be there I would have just been staring going “that guy looks familiar, do I know him from somewhere?”

Great trip report so far! I can't wait to read more!

Thanks for reading along!

rani8600

Original Poster
PrincessHalfCourseMap_zps8e134f5e.png

By this time the corrals were starting to fill up and it wasn’t long before they were sending off the wheelchair athlete.

Then it was time for the first corral. With their send off there were fireworks from all around including towers of sparklers. It was an impressive sight and helped to get me excited to run this race. I couldn’t wait until it was our turn.

2013-02-24053559_zpsc30a7a43.jpg

We slowly made our way forward until it was time. They sent us off with fireworks of our own and by calling out people by their costume. They also gave one last warning to make sure to hydrate well.

I placed myself just over midway back in the corral hoping that I would be a group of people with a similar pace. It worked pretty well as according to my Garmin we were running just shy of a 12 minute mile.
The first few minutes were a little strange for me. It was the change from all the excitement back in the corrals to the now seriousness of what we were all setting out to do. There was not a lot of talking and the music was quickly fading behind us.

Because of the heat and humidity Disney I thought added another water stop either just before the first mile marker, it surprised me as I was not expecting one until after the second mile. Looking back at the map i guess i just missed that one as i usually dont take water that early. This time i made sure to grab a cup. The first mile marker came on quickly. I tried to get a picture, but it came out so burry that you can’t see anything.

It was after the first mile that I knew that I was going to have to adjust my strategy. The humidity before the sun rose was killer. I had run the first mile with no walking and planned to run the second the same way. After running in the humidity I knew that I was going to have to add walk breaks in early or I was going to overheat fast. For the second mile I shifted to run 5 minutes walk 1 strategy.
Hey look, we made it.

2013-02-24061735_zps24d5466e.jpg

It was just after this mile marker that I started to feel thankful about my change in plan as I saw a girl being sick on the side of the road… this was only just after the second mile marker. That’s how you know the humidity was bad.

Just before we hit the second mile the course had opened up as we were on the main road heading for Magic Kingdom. The first set of characters was in this area, the pirates. There was a long line and I knew that they would still be out when we ran by later on the course so I passed on them for now.

Like a beacon we could see in the distance the entrance to the Magic Kingdom area calling us. Soon enough we found ourselves running through the toll plaza :goodvibes. During our approach to the area they keep making announcements about the speed bumps telling us to be careful. While running thru the plaza I heard a girl turn back to her friend and jokingly tell her to be careful. Now I’m sure you can all guess what happened next…she tripped over it. It looked like a small misstep and she seemed fine…im sure that was not the last time something like that happened on the course that morning.

After the gates just before the Speedway was the 5k split, time 39:20 Pace 12:39, not too bad considering the weather and not that much slower than my planed 12mm pace. Soon after we veered to the right towards the speedway and through another water stop. By this point I was taking both powerade and water. I had never run while drinking powerade so I crossed my fingers that my body liked the idea. It ended up being fine throughout the whole race.

Near the Speedway the Cars characters were out. There was a line again and they were not a must for me so I took a picture and kept going.

2013-02-24063753_zps006f90f7.jpg

The road had begun to narrow again and the course became more crowded as we ran through the mile four mile marker, I don’t know what I was looking at but I completely missed this one. I didnt realize until half way through the mile that i must have missed it. I was starting to think that mile was the longest mile ever :rotfl:

By this point we were heading into the Ticket and Transportation center. There were a lot of people in cheering on the runners. They had great signs and the energy was really nice. There was one person with a funny sign that said “I took the monorail, it was faster.” There were a few more funny signs along the course. I had to laugh out loud at a few of them.

I started to look around for my mom and sister as this was the first area we planned to see each other at. I thought I must have missed them as I was almost out of the ticket and trans area, but saw them at the last minute right by the monorail ramps. I shouted a quick hi and waved as I passed. It was really cool to see them on the course. After I passed they were going to make their way to the Grand Floridian via the monorail to try to catch me as we ran out of the Magic Kingdom.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Sounds great except for the humidity but what are you going to do it is Fl. after all. Glad you had your own cheering section!

TakeMeThere81

Great update!! Funny about the girl tripping over the speedbump! Sounds mean, but those kinds of things crack me up!

Thanks…btw love you pic with Jeff Galloway!

Thanks! I met him last September at the Disneyland Half Marathon! I did not expect to see him as he was simply mingling at the Expo! I think a lot of people didn't know who he was because he didn't even have a line, just a couple of people who stopped to say hello. I made sure to tell him thank you because ever since I adopted his method (giving myself permission to walk when I need it), I haven't had any overuse injuries! That is huge!

Can't wait to read more!

rani8600

Original Poster
Sounds great except for the humidity but what are you going to do it is Fl. after all. Glad you had your own cheering section!

Yeah, i expected some humidity, but i dont think one can fully realize it until you are out there. It was really nice to be able to see my family along the course. It gave me a few more points to look forward to.

Great update!! Funny about the girl tripping over the speedbump! Sounds mean, but those kinds of things crack me up!

Thanks! I met him last September at the Disneyland Half Marathon! I did not expect to see him as he was simply mingling at the Expo! I think a lot of people didn't know who he was because he didn't even have a line, just a couple of people who stopped to say hello. I made sure to tell him thank you because ever since I adopted his method (giving myself permission to walk when I need it), I haven't had any overuse injuries! That is huge!

Can't wait to read more!

i know, i would have felt bad about finding it funny if she had really gotten hurt, but she seemed find so..

I dont know if i would have been able to get into running at all if someone hadnt told me it was okay to do intervals and take walk breaks along the way. I think his method really help non runners like myself get started. It makes the idea of running so much less intimidating.

rani8600

Original Poster
The road narrowed down to one lane as we started towards the Contemporary Resort

2013-02-24065031_zpsf7759e1c.jpg

I soon was running under the water bridge and up the hill that everyone talks about. I didn’t find it that bad, I ran down the hill but mostly walked up the other side as there was things to see. About halfway up the hill they had the giant puppets out that they had for the mile 20 spectacular for the full in January. I guess this was our mile five surprise :p .

2013-02-24065405_zpsd2dd2429.jpg

2013-02-24065418_zps209b473a.jpg

2013-02-24065425_zpsf9e4fb2a.jpg

2013-02-24065433_zpsb07aed26.jpg

Sorry for the blurriness. I could only slow down a little as the course was only one lane still and I didn’t want to stop in front on anyone. The crowdedness of the course could really be felt in the areas that were one lane. RunDisney stated that there were just under 24,000 runners participating this year :eek:.
Hey look… we made it to the fifth mile!

2013-02-24065741_zps08610cdb.jpg

It was just after the mile 5 marker that we turned into the backstage area that would lead us down Main Street USA :D.

2013-02-24070059_zpsfe255ebf.jpg

Our path towards the Castle had us entering MK from just behind Tony’s. There were a lot of spectators lining the left side of Main St and Cast Members on the right. There was cheering and lots of energy. Based on what others had said I expected Main St to be really congested and not really be able to run, but this was surprisingly not the case. Magic Kingdom was one of the easiest areas to get the space to run in. The only difficult area was actually going through the Castle.

2013-02-24070241_zpse374e62f.jpg

2013-02-24070305_zps0bef20c7.jpg

Once we ran down Main St we made a right into Tomorrowland. Buzz was out but I passed. As we made our way into Fantasyland Alice and the Mad Matter were out. The line wasn’t so bad (about 12 ppl deep) so I thought them would make an excellent first character picture.

2013-02-24071018_zps462afa02.jpg

My eyes are closed in this one, guess I was in need of a quick nap…lol

After a quick thank you to Alice and the Mad Hatter we ran around passed new Fantasyland. PS It is so fun it to be able to write that we were running around Magic Kingdom. Doesn’t the idea just make you smile :)
The next character I saw was Gaston. There was no question… I was definitely stopping for this one. Gaston always has great lines. I was greeted with a “Come on over, don’t be shy.” Aside from the Hatter he is the only character that really said anything.

2013-02-24071328_zps835d1014.jpg

Gaston’s line pretty much lead right into Belle’s since she was my princess on my bib I wanted to wait for a picture with her. Plus now that she has Story time with Belle this is really the only way to meet her in her ball gown without standing in line for 2 hours.

2013-02-24071855_zpsce4d6a43.jpg

Mickey and Minnie were out just before you ran through the Castle but there line was soooo long that I knew I couldn’t waste the time.

2013-02-24071938_zpsc1d1c4dc.jpg

I have to say, running through the Castle was a bit anticlimactic. I expected to feel super great and excited, but didn’t. It was sooo crowded that we all had to walk and we were on top of each other. I tried to create some space so that I could get a picture but there was no way.

After our run (walk) through the Castle we made a right into Liberty Sq, then into Frontierland. It was here I made use of the real bathrooms. I was surprised to find no lines to use these. I have to tell you real bathrooms during the race were the way to go. They had things like soap and paper towels…the indulgence. As I was walking out I hear two girls quickly talk to each other about using the boys room to avoid the line, I told them they could go ahead to the girls room that there was no one there. They gave a quick thanks and I ran back to the course.

After Frontierland we ran backstage. They had one area set up for photos with one of the parade floats as a backdrop. When I ran past it was Aurora and Prince Philip, I heard that they were switching out with Cinderella and Prince Charming.

As we ran out of the backstage area we pasted the mile 6 marker and soon after the 10k spilt, time 1:34 pace 15:16. That mile in MK with pictures and stops really slowed my overall pace. Based on my running watch the mile through MK was just over 25 minutes.

This was not the pace I was aiming for, but feeling good cardio wise after taking it easy through Magic Kingdom I knew I was going to have to pick up the pace. I made a plan to run the next two miles straight as some of the humidity seemed to have let up, of course stopping for pictures.

Before I knew it we were at the hearing the half way song This Girl is On Fire.

Can’t tell but im pretty sure this is the mile 7 marker, though it may be 6.

2013-02-24072522_zps32fc5652.jpg

2013-02-24074104_zps51f16c1d.jpg

Just after stopping for Mary Poppins and friends I found my mom and sister again. It was funny, I found them pretty easily, waved and yelled Hi and they still didn’t see me. I had to back track a few feet and walk right up to them before they realized it was me. A nice spectator took this picture for us.

2013-02-24074221_zps5dc4f12c.jpg

I quickly ran off with a “have to go, I’m behind."

rani8600

Original Poster
It was right after this that I started to really feel a pinching pain in my right hip. It started around the 10k split but wasnt too bad and I was able to put it in the back of my mind. This is something I have experienced before on some longer runs and I knew it wasnt going to go away. Just before mile 8 it became really bad. The pain feels like each time you put weight on the right side someone jams a big needle into the hip joint...not fun.

2013-02-24075615_zps21bfb4c3.jpg

I took a long walk break hoping that I would be able to move into 1m/1m intervals for the remainder of the course. After my first few attempts at run intervals I knew that wasnt going to be a possibility. I had to switch to walking and walking fast. As I now had to reevaluate my goals for this race I made a new plan. For my own sanity and ode to the work that I put in for this I wasnt going to let myself fall behind pace. I was going to complete the remaining miles with each mile in the 16 minute per pace. In my head this became crazily important.

My GPS watch became even more important to me as it allowed me to be able to watch my pace closely and make sure I didnt fall behind. My walking pace varied between 14:30 and 15:45 minute miles. Im not sure what people would make of the expression i was most like wearing on my face at this point. I would like to think it was one of sheer determination, but it probably more like a painful grimic. I was doing my best to put the pain out of my mind though, i had a job to do.

It was around this time where I thought running with my Ipod might have been a little bit helpful. The entertainment and characters were a lot more stretched out. A little background on my internal debate on whether or not I was going to run with music. This is something that I thought a lot about in the weeks leading up to the race. I had always had my Ipod with me on my training runs, however, I wasnt sure that I would be able to take it with my for the half as I wasnt sure how I was going to carry it. In the past I have tried to run with a running belt to carry some of my things, but I couldnt seem to keep them from slipping up and bouncing around my waist. They ended up being a hindrance rather than helpful. This wasnt an issue for my training runs as I wasnt carrying that much with me, but for this race I would need my phone and clif blocks. My skirt has no pockets so I had to tuck my phone on one side and fuel on the other. I figured trying to manage my Ipod too would be too much. I dont think it hurt in any way to not have it and I was by no means bored, but the music might have been nice for those few miles.

Just after crossing out of the MK resort area was the mile 9 marker. There was a nice volunteer there who was offering to take picture for people.

2013-02-24081155_zps903acd96.jpg

Just after mile 9 I came across Atta. Her line was only three people, even though I knew that I needed to keep moving to not fall behind I wanted one more character shot after all these pictures were one of the main motivating factors behind running this thing.

2013-02-24081453_zpsae3cd33c.jpg

Just before the on ramp was the mile 10 marker.

2013-02-24082748_zps5a71f51b.jpg

Now about that onramp... OMG that is the longest onramp I have ever seen. It just kept going and going, I thought it was never going to end. I was walking on the inside of the ramp on the grass. I know that people tell you not to walk on the grass, but I was being careful and it was necessary for two reasons. One, it was ever so slightly less painful to walk on the grass as it wasnt so hard and two, even though I was walking I was passing people and there just wasnt enough room to go around people on the road. Near the top for the ramp were the army men from Toy Story. They were encouraging us to run faster.

We finally finished with the ramp that just wont end and found mile marker 11

2013-02-24084259_zpsf01d7254.jpg

At this point I was starting to feel ok, I was still in a lot of pain, but I knew now that I was going to finish this and finish in within my 3:30 time.

About half way through mile 11 the DJs and race announcers were there cheering people on. A little further on another DJ planning music trying to give us that last bit of energy and excitement we needed to finish this. She was playing some Bon Jovi, Livin On A Prayer. A bunch of us had found some energy and were singing along. The DJ just shook her head and commented that that was probably the only 80s song that all of us 20 somethings knew...well she isnt wrong :shrug:

There were also some last characters, Mulan and Mrs. Incredible. It was great Mrs. Incredible was just finishing her set and ran with us as she made her way to the trailer...in heels

Soon after I could see mile marker 12

2013-02-24085804_zps4516a564.jpg

You can see just over the clock Spaceship Earth. This was, it we were finally going to go through Epcot and the finish, just one more mile to go. Im not gonna to lie, I started to get a little emotional at this point. I had been thinking about it and training for it for so long and now it was here.

We went passed the ball on the right side and towards the World Showcase. I felt really bad for Pinocchio as he wasnt getting any love. I think everyone just wanted to be finished by this point. Right after the fountain was the Fairy Godmother. She had a little bit of a line, but nowhere near as bad as it would have been had she been any sooner on the course. I passed on both as I too just wanted to be done. Just at the entrance to WS we turned back to make our way out of Epcot and to the Finish line.

I saw my mom and sister for the last time on the course. There werent that many people in Epcot so they were easy to spot. I guess most people go straight to the finish.

Just as we were out of Epcot I could hear the Gospel Choir, then I could see them. I couldnt believe it, we were almost there. I didnt get a picture of the 13th mile marker as I was pulling myself together. I was determined. I was going to run that last bit through the finish no matter what. And I did, I ran through. It felt so strange.

Just after I crossed the line it hit me, I did it...I completed a half marathon. If you would have told me a year before that I would be standing there having done it I would have laughed and told you never gonna happen, yet here I was.

There were tears in my eyes as I found a volunteer and received my medal.

Disney_Belle

Your report has me tearing up! What an awesome, awesome accomplishment! I'm commiting myself to do the 2014 Princess Half. I am new to running but I know having that goal that I will stick with it. Your report was very inspiring!

Congratulations on your finish!

rani8600

Original Poster
Your report has me tearing up! What an awesome, awesome accomplishment! I'm commiting myself to do the 2014 Princess Half. I am new to running but I know having that goal that I will stick with it. Your report was very inspiring!

Congratulations on your finish!

Thank you! For me, it was all about the goal. Without setting one I wouldn’t have made it to the start line let alone the finish.

OMG that's awsome snif snif going off to cry tears of happiness for you! Congrats!

Thank you :D

Awesome race!! Was it overcast that day?

Thanks! It was overcast. They were actually predicting rain from 6-9 am (special just for the race), but luckily it held off. I was seriously not looking forward to 13 miles in the rain. I think the clouds actually helped a lot of us. That kind of heat and humidity plus sun might have been a little punishing.

WishIWasAtWDW

Congrats!! You finished the race and you got to stop to take some character pictures! Mission accomplished! :DYour report has brought back so many memories! Ugh...that onramp. You are right. It really felt like it was never ending! Its crazy how emotional it is finishing. That Gospel choir really gets you there at the end. Can't wait to read more and here your overall thoughts on running your first half marathon!

Sumrdog

Yippee! You finished!

I completely agree about the on ramp. I also opted for the grass...

It's so fun to read another persons perspective, I completely didn't see Pinocchio...

Congratulations!

rani8600

Original Poster
Congrats!! You finished the race and you got to stop to take some character pictures! Mission accomplished! :DYour report has brought back so many memories! Ugh...that onramp. You are right. It really felt like it was never ending! Its crazy how emotional it is finishing. That Gospel choir really gets you there at the end. Can't wait to read more and here your overall thoughts on running your first half marathon!

Thank you! I didnt expect to be emotional about it so it really took me by surprise. I think that finishing something that i had been working towards for so long was just a bit overwhelming. Hearing the Gospel choir was really nice, i had that thought of im really doing this :D

Yippee! You finished!

I completely agree about the on ramp. I also opted for the grass...

It's so fun to read another persons perspective, I completely didn't see Pinocchio...

Congratulations!

I saw i few runners on the grass for that ramp, i think the narrow road really forced a bunch of people over.

So true, i have been reading along with a few other trip reports and it is interesting to hear about things that i completely missed.

Thanks!

Congratulations! I really want to do a runDisney half marathon one of these days! Great trip report! :D

Thank you! I would def recommend one :)

rani8600

Original Poster
After receiving my medal, I slowly made my way out of the finish line area and grabbed a bottle of water. The RunDisney people were not letting you leave the area without some form of liquid. There were even people there offering to help you open the bottles. As you walked toward the bag check area there were volunteers handing out snack packs and bananas.

Juggling my things I called my mom to try to figure out where they were. There were on the outside of the family reunion area (they didn’t know they were allowed to come it) and I told the politely (at least it was in my head…lol) that there was no way I was walking all the way out there and there were going to have to come to me.

I found myself a fairly uncrowded place by the ESPN trailer, promptly sat down and guided them in my direction…hey, im a princess now after all. I took the chance to look through the snack pack surprisingly most if not all of the items in the pack were vegan friendly….very exciting.

After a few minutes they were able to find me. We took a few pictures…

2013-02-24093302_zps631a77f9.jpg

And took a walk around the area to see was there was to see. The DJ was still there and there were some people dancing. I would assume that the majority were families as I can’t imagine too many of the runners would have that much energy left. I looked around for some of the character pictures, but the lines were sooo long. It was not like during the race either because now there were families with kids and autograph books so the lines seemed to be moving quite slow.

Still in a bit of pain we made the decision to go back to the hotel to shower and change. On the bus to the hotel I was starving so I dove into my snack box….there was hummus and crackers, perfect! It was just the right amount to hold me over and that was nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom