Trip Report 12 days of Live Trip Reporting

Departing tomorrow (June 28) from home in Manchester, Maryland for an extended 12 day visit to the World. Originally a 6 day visit, we added almost a full second week so DD could participate in the Disney Soccer Academy from July 7-10.

We will be leaving home around noon tomorrow and will drive straight through (about 1000 miles) with the plan being arrival around 7am or so at our first of 3 resorts, Grand Floridian (2 nights). If you want to check out our plans, we have a Pre-Trip Report (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-6-day-no-make-that-12-day-4th-of-july-pre-trip.884929/) that you can check out if you want to know more about our plans.

I try to post daily when we are at Disney and include pictures as much as possible, so sit back, grab some popcorn, and join us each each night for the next couple weeks at the World!

Jae99

Departing tomorrow (June 28) from home in Manchester, Maryland for an extended 12 day visit to the World. Originally a 6 day visit, we added almost a full second week so DD could participate in the Disney Soccer Academy from July 7-10.

We will be leaving home around noon tomorrow and will drive straight through (about 1000 miles) with the plan being arrival around 7am or so at our first of 3 resorts, Grand Floridian (2 nights). If you want to check out our plans, we have a Pre-Trip Report (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-6-day-no-make-that-12-day-4th-of-july-pre-trip.884929/) that you can check out if you want to know more about our plans.

I try to post daily when we are at Disney and include pictures as much as possible, so sit back, grab some popcorn, and join us each each night for the next couple weeks at the World!
Have a great trip. It should be a blast.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here we are! Arrived at The World at about 6am this morning. For those who are wondering, we left our home north of Baltimore, MD at a little after noon yesterday. DW and I basically traded off driving each state (I did MD and VA, she did NC, I did SC, she did GA, I did FLA until the last hour, then she got us here). During the night we took a couple of breaks in rest areas, but all in all, an 18 hour experience with about 3 hours of down time along the way. With driver trading, DW got about 6 hours of sleep and I got about 5 which really isn't too bad!

Upon arriving we stopped at Grand Floridian (our first resort) and checked in and used the lobby restrooms to get changed.

Time to head to dinner now, but I'll try to get on tonight to finish today's report!

Last edited:

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, back to the report! We're just back from Magic Kingdom after a long first day - but, before sleep comes Trip Reporting!

Once we were checked in and changed, we headed to Blizzard Beach for some water fun. Now, our thought process had been that the H2O parks are lower impact/stress than the big 4 parks, but we had forgotten the amount of walking (and especially stairs) involved - so much for low impact!

Sadly, no water park pictures for you! Upon arrival, we headed for Teamboat Springs and had a good ride with another family. Always a fun one. Then to the back of the park for a ride in the enclosed tube of Runoff Rapids, followed by the two toboggan rides. After all those steps and rides, it was time for the Cross Country Creek (AKA Lazy River) which I enjoyed for half a ride and the girls did for a full circuit plus a half. The reason I was off after half a loop was that we realized that somewhere on those rides, my MagicBand had come off. Ugh. So, I checked with the Lost and Found there to no avail and headed back for a little more R&R. DD enjoyed quite a few different things in the Ski Patrol Training area and then we decided to head out for lunch elsewhere.

Luckily, DW had remembered that we had just lately added an FP+ Dining Reservation at Be Our Guest for lunch as we were picked to test the new 'pre-order' system for food and (perhaps even more luckily) our room was already ready to go at Grand Floridian - 11:30am!! So, back to the room to get quick showers, changed, and then monorail over to MK for lunch and the new parade.

After the parade, we headed out to our room for a MUCH needed nap. I think within about 20 seconds of getting to the room, all three of us were fast asleep and there was quite a bit of surprise an hour later when the alarm went off! But after a little work, we all managed to get moving and over to the main building for dinner at 1900 Park Fare.

Last edited:

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
By the way - no worries on the MagicBand loss. We just de-activated that one and I have switched to another (good thing with our split stay, we have 4 MagicBands each).

So, on to dinner! We have a long history of adventures at 1900 Park Fare. DW has sewn DD costumes for Cinderella (age 4-5), Anastasia (6), Drizella (7), and then a famous night where she changed between Anastasia and Drizella in the same night (age 8) TWICE (both at 1900 Park Fare and then again at the Very Merry Christmas Party). Now that she is 10, she isn't dressing as the characters anymore, but we still had a blast.

In addition to the usual characters, we also had a celebrity sighting at dinner. To respect his privacy, we didn't take his picture or even ask for an autograph, but Jimmie Johnson (5-time NASCAR champion) was there with his family which to a family of pretty big NASCAR fans, it was quite cool!

After dinner, it was over to the Magic Kingdom where we had booked some FP+ and enjoyed some Tomorrowland time with Buzz, Space Mountain, and Monsters Inc Laugh Floor (not with FP+, just did it!). I was trying to have some fun with the camera, but missed a little on the settings - but I still like this one.

Then met with articulated Mickey for our last FP+. Mickey was very cool and it was neat interaction with DD and well as us two grownups!

After Mickey, we had planned to stick around for Wishes, but we decided that rest was a better choice at this point, so here we are back at the room and getting to sleep just a bit after 10pm (as the sound of fireworks going off in the distance puts us to sleep). Have to have some energy ready for Animal Kingdom tomorrow morning!

Last edited:

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Have a wonderful vacation!!!!

Have a great trip. It should be a blast.

I'm excited to hear about it! Have fun!

Have a good trip and I'm excited to follow along!!! :)

Looks like you're off to a good start. Have a wonderful time!

Enjoy your trip! Look forward to hearing more.

Thanks to everybody. And, I guarantee we WILL have a good time! It's 7:15am and we are off to Animal Kingdom!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hey! Day Two is halfway in the bag, so here's an update. We should be out enjoying the pool at Grand Floridian, but the weather had other ideas and with all the lightning in the area, the pool has been closed this afternoon.

Up at 7am and heading to Animal Kingdom for EMH at 7:30am. By the time we got there it was a couple minutes before 8am and the gates were already open. So, off to Everest we went. By the time we got to it, the wait had to be at least 45....seconds. Rode twice with only the same wait the second time. Here are the girls on the way up the first lift hill.

And then going down the big hill.

And in case there was still any concern from anyone, the torn tracks are back and the bird on a stick is as well (nice to see that the bird doesn't come up quite so far, so the stick was not visible at all.

And while it appears that the Yeti himself cannot move (although he does seem to enjoy some good disco), he did look healthy at this particular moment.

We then headed over to Chester and Hester's, and while we did not play an carnival games, DD did ride Primeval Whirl twice. Once alone and once with DW. I guess by that fourth ride of the hour, the girls were getting a little tired.

We then headed back to Asia and rode Kali River Rapids right at 9am when it opened. Actually, it opened at about 9:10am which meant that the pre-line opening line looked a bit long, when it really only took about 10 minutes to cycle through the early crowd. After getting fully soaked (DD and I were facing backward on the big drop and if you've ridden before you know what that means) we walked through the Maharajah Jungle Trek. The tigers were not putting on any kind of a show (both asleep, one by the wall and the other in the grass) but we did enjoy a couple close up bird encounters. But, our camera and phones were all locked up in a locker from Kali, so no pics there. Sorry! By the way, if you didn't know, there are FREE lockers (for two hours) right outside the entrance to Kali which are great if you have things you want to keep seriously dry.

We took a leisurely walk over to Finding Nemo, the Musical for the 10am show. Originally we had planned to do Flights of Wonder first, then Nemo after lunch, but we have see FoW enough times and felt like getting back to the room for rest was a better idea for the afternoon. For the first time (in forever), I did NOT take any pictures during Finding Nemo. I must have at least 500 pictures of that show, so this time I just sat and enjoyed!

After Nemo, we stopped at Flame Tree BBQ and picked up some lunch for DD. And then back to Grand Floridian to get our lunch. Why do it that way you ask? Because it saved us $ and yes, it was worth it (PBJ kids meal is $.50 less at Flame Tree and you get Tables in Wonderland discount of $1.10 and I promise we will put that $1.60 to good use!!). We were quite fortunate to have changed our plans for the afternoon and leave when we did because we got to our car about 12:04 and the heavens opened up with a torrential downpour at about 12:04:01. Almost to the second when we got in the car it started pouring.

So, back at Grand Floridian, I dodged the raindrops to walk over to the CS restaurant, picked up DW and my lunches and we have been relaxing in the room ever since. I just finished my hour nap and now the girls are both asleep, which is quite good since we hope to be at Magic Kingdom for quite a while tonight after our dinner.

See you soon!

Last edited:

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here we are just after 11pm and Day 2 is at an end.

Once the girls had woken from their naps, it was off to Citricos for our nice 'fancy' dinner of this trip. DD has proclaimed that on her 21st birthday, she will be eating at the Chef's Table at Victoria and Albert's, so we will be slowly building up to that over the next 11 years!

After dinner, it was over to the Magic Kingdom for just a few rides and then Wishes. On the way in, we did a little shopping and DD found herself a nice Frozen pin. She has a small pin collection and doesn't really do the trading much (most of her pins are special to her in some way), but this will be a well loved addition. We then met up with some old friends from home (who now live in Florida and happened to be at the World this weekend) and went with them on our first ever ride on the Seven Dwarves Mine Train (with FP+). We were quite impressed with the ride and experience. No, it isn't a 'thrill' ride, but it is a great family ride and very well done. No pics from that as I was just sitting and enjoying this first time.

We then had FP+ for Little Mermaid which we now know is not worth it. It may have even taken us longer to walk through the FP+ queue than it would have taken to get through the regular one. I have a feeling this is mainly due to the Mine Train, but it did seem a little sad that a relatively new attraction is a total walk-on when the park is fairly crowded.

Then we stopped for a snack (grape snowball from the new snack place behind Mine Train) as the sun was setting and then we slowly made our way to Big Thunder for our 9:10pm FP+ as the sun was setting. I am usually a photo purist, but I did have a little fun playing with some editing features on this one.

After that, we decided to camp out on the bridge across from Tom Sawyer Island to watch the parade go by and then for Wishes. First the parade came by and I felt obliged to get a somewhat patriotic reflection picture.

We have never watched Wishes from the side and it was a bit odd, but still enjoyable as ever. Since we were on the side and I didn't have a tripod, I didn't really take many pictures (usually I take 50+ per show), but I did have a little fun with some over Tom Sawyer Island. As you can see, 4 seconds of open shutter with the bridge railing as a tripod doesn't allow for perfection, but it was fun!

Tomorrow morning, we'll be getting up early and moving out of Grand Floridian before we hit Epcot for EMH at 8am!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 3 is complete and yes, it is only just after 9pm. And, tragically, I have no pictures for you right now - Photobucket appears to be down tonight and that's what I use. So, I'll just give the reader's digest version of the days events and then add some pictures soon as I can!

Up early this morning and packed and loaded out of Grand Floridian. At Epcot for 8am EMH, which means the first departure of Soarin' followed by some wandering and then Sum of All Thrills and Great Piggy Bank Adventure at Innoventions. Then FP+ for Test Track and Mission:Space. Over to the France pavilion to pick up some lunch and then to the Rose and Crown to enjoy said meal with some friends from the Friends of the Rose and Crown Facebook group. We had quite a good time hanging out with Carl and his latest student (seems like every time we visit he is training someone). After that we hit Spaceship Earth on the way out (with FP+) and then drove over to Downtown Disney for some Splitsville bowling while watching the USA World Cup game. Certainly more fun and more good food. At halftime of the game, we headed to Old Key West to get checked in and to our room, where we watched the second half and extra time (well, I watched - the girls napped). Once the game ended we decided that a low key, relaxed night in the hotel would be a good idea, so here we have been, just playing games and enjoying the laid back-ness that is Old Key West. And, now, early to bed - because tomorrow will be early to rise for Animal Kingdom part 2.

Hope to have pics to put up soon!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
OK! It's 7am and Photobucket appears to be awake and agreeable, so here are the pics from yesterday!

Getting ready to enter Epcot for EMH.

A friend we saw on the walk into World Showcase - not sure what kind of bird of prey he is, but he was making a bit of a racket!

Toward the end of our rollicking good time at Rose and Crown.

Just some guys we saw...

A family traditional picture from Splitsville.

And now it's off to Animal Kingdom for a morning safari!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom