10 Things to Love About Universal

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
touringsplans.com has an interesting article, 10 things to love about Universal.

http://blog.touringplans.com/2013/02/18/ten-things-i-love-about-universal-orlando-resort/

Quoting from the article:
  1. Centralized bag check. Once you go through security at the entrance to CityWalk, that’s it. You’re then free to move from park to park without going through another bag check line.
  2. Parking garages. No more getting into your sun-baked car at the end of your park day.
  3. Generous Annual Pass discounts. Universal Annual Passholders get discounts on dining, merchandise, and the onsite hotels all the time.
  4. Thrill rides. Disney may still be the master of telling a story with an attraction, but you don’t care when you’re screaming for your life on Hulk or Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit.
  5. No Princesses. No Pirates. That’s right – I said it. I’m over Aurora, Rapunzel, and Jack Sparrow. Bring on Harry Potter and Marvel (for now).
  6. Lower crowds. In general, a slow day at Universal is less crowded than a slow day at Walt Disney World.
  7. Team Members. I’ve have universally (see what I did there?) great experiences with the folks who work at Universal Resort. They are as friendly and helpful as the best Cast Members at that other resort.
  8. Halloween Horror Nights. A Halloween event that isn’t afraid to be scary. If only Disney could give us something a little more adult-oriented (Donald’s Kinda Sorta Scary Halloween Party at the Studios maybe?).
  9. Easy access to two parks with no transportation issues. Disneyland folks know what I’m talking about here. You want to go back and forth between Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure? Go for it; it’s just a short walk.
  10. Universal Express (yes, this will also show up on my “Things I Don’t Like” list). No return times to worry about – just show your pass and get in the shorter line.
Can you think of anything to add?

Californian Elitist

I will refer to Universal Studios Hollywood.

A REAL backlot. Universal's backlot is almost one hundred years old. Its history is absolutely AMAZING and, as a movie buff, it's an honor to be able to see and walk the lot. So many movie legends have walked those grounds. It is so cool. Something that can't be found in another theme park, ESPECIALLY not DHS.

The service. USH gives complimentary tickets to guests if it rains and pours, not to mention free hot chocolate. Awesome. Something Disney would never do.

Reasonably priced APs. For just eighty bucks, I can go to Universal, everyday, for eighteen months. AMAZING. Eighty bucks won't even get me a one day, one park ticket to any of the Disney parks.

Transformers. Enough said.

Grinchmas. MUCH better than Christmas at Disneyland. Disney is so darn commercialized when it comes to Christmas. Universal feels more true to the whole point of Christmas, and I don't feel like they're trying to get me to buy something. The Grinch is awesome, BTW. Plus, City Walk plays the intro to A Charlie Brown Christmas, the best Christmas special, ever. Grinchmas is awesome.

Speaking of City Walk, it's leagues better than Downtown Disney. No competition there.

BryceM

I agree with everything said. I believe Universal's Islands of Adventure to be one of the best theme parks in the world, with Universal Studios Florida not far behind. Few things can top the detail and care of Seuss Landing, Port of Entry, The Lost Continent, New York, San Francisco, etc.

The closeness of the resort of a whole is one of the main reasons why I just love it so much. In minutes, you can be taking the leisurely and tropical stroll from Royal Pacific, be in the upbeat and exciting atmosphere of CityWalk, then be at the enchanting and whimsical entrance to Islands of Adventure. Or, you can utilize the awesome water shuttle which will take you just about anywhere at the resort. And in a short amount of time!

ThemeParks4Life

I laugh at how people say Universal has great annual pass discounts. Considering the power pass doesn't get any discounts but all of Disney's passes do, Disney has an advantage.

GLaDOS

I laugh at how people say Universal has great annual pass discounts. Considering the power pass doesn't get any discounts but all of Disney's passes do, Disney has an advantage.

Ummmm. Disney's passes don't get dining discounts at quick service restaurants like Uni's do.

Also, the Power pass is basically the cost of a 2 day park hopper. Considering you get the vast majority of the year for that price, I think you're making out pretty damn well. Especially since Disney's cheapest pass is over 500 bucks.

Alexis

I'm a Disney girl, but I do love many things about Universal...

1.) The onsite property hotels that have good food and great atmosphere and just a walk or boat away from the park and Citywalk!
2.) The food is just overall better at the park/hotel than Disney,thats for sure
3.) Universals events such as Halloween Horror Nights
4.) Citywalk! Provides something to do at night and or after the park
5.) The in dining park restaurants, Mythos.
6.) Parking garage organization
7.) Islands of Adventure (everything about the park)
8.) BLUE MAN GROUP
9.) Lower crowds (as you said) depending when you go
10.) LOCATION! Everything is near by eachother! The parks, Citywalk and the hotels! All in one area in walking distance! Gotta love it! Just the entire property is very nice and well kept

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
I see that you live in central Florida. An in-state Universal Power Pass costs $165, less than the price of a 2-day Disney base ticket. The Universal Preferred Pass only costs $225 and offers discounts on merchandise and food, while costing less than a WDW 2-day hopper ticket.

I don't know where you're coming from but, in my book, that adds up to a big time advantage for Universal!:)

71jason

Really, QS doesn't have a discount? Whatever, I'll just enjoy the parks and not take sides.

Not even for Premium APs, not even for Tables in Wonderland card holders. The AP discount on table service is ridiclously limited, as well.

As for merch, I believe the Premium Universal AP (the one with CityWalk) now gives double the discount the Premium WDW AP gives (20% v. 10%).

Not a question of taking sides here, just a question of cold, hard facts.

ThemeParks4Life

The Power Pass is technically a seasonal pass, not an AP. ;)

But since we're comparing perks, here's one: A Universal AP will get me into Universal this year instead of WDW.

And here's a WDW perk: I'm getting a year at WDW instead of Universal. Doesn't really matter since I'm a passholder to both though :p

danpam1024

* I love the intimacy of the resort- everything is so close, yet there is SO MUCH to do.
*UOR on site hotels are leaps and bounds better than the Disney "deluxe" rooms- and are far better maintained for considerably less money- and they are RIGHT THERE!
*I also like how if you buy your AP on flex pay, once your year is up, you can keep paying monthly at the same price for as long (or short) as you would like- no inflation and no "buying into" another entire year if you don't want to. Sea World/Busch Gardens is the same way. Disney gives $20 discount if you "renew" for another entire year- I think they're missing the boat on that one.
*I love the variety and desire to keep the parks fresh- something Disney is having less and less of (FLE was decades overdue and quite frankly not enough), WS needs attractions, DAK could use a new land, and DHS well, it's just plain old and outdated.
*Express Pass- free with room- best thing ever, but has made us a little-well- spoiled!
*DDP has RUINED the foodie experience, however Unis Dining plan excludes the "fancy" stuff allowing for competition and great culinary experiences in the parks, resorts and CW.

Turtle

10 Things To Love About Universal (My Version):
1. E.T. + Dip 'n Dots (It's a new tradition to get Dip N Dots in the queue)
2. Spiderman
3. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey + Butterbeer
4. Universal Cinematic Spectacular
5. That feeling of excitement when you arrive
6. The Angus Hickory Burger at the Hard Rock Cafe in Citywalk
7. The Portofino Hotel
8. (Soon To Be) Springfield
9. (Soon To Be) Jurassic Park Amber Mine Coaster
10. (Soon To Be) Harry Potter Phase 2

derekburgan

While some may consider it nuts (and definitely unhealthy), what I like to look for at Universal is some of the craziest food options. I saw some shows on The Food Network on the craziest foods and also Man Vs Food and started to look for food choices that were just plain crazy and Universal had several options. :)

Here's my list of The Top Five Most Extreme Eats at Universal Studios (working on a second five later this year including the insane nachos available at Margarittaville)
http://www.orlandoinformer.com/2012/the-big-5-top-five-extreme-eats-at-universal-orlando/

It's clear with the Disney Check that Disney is going the other way, and while I'm looking forward to having the Kitchen Sink at Beaches and Cream in April, I'm not sure I could find four other Out There food choices.

danpam1024

While some may consider it nuts (and definitely unhealthy), what I like to look for at Universal is some of the craziest food options. I saw some shows on The Food Network on the craziest foods and also Man Vs Food and started to look for food choices that were just plain crazy and Universal had several options. :)

Here's my list of The Top Five Most Extreme Eats at Universal Studios (working on a second five later this year including the insane nachos available at Margarittaville)
http://www.orlandoinformer.com/2012/the-big-5-top-five-extreme-eats-at-universal-orlando/

It's clear with the Disney Check that Disney is going the other way, and while I'm looking forward to having the Kitchen Sink at Beaches and Cream in April, I'm not sure I could find four other Out There food choices.

Have you tried the Kitchen sink challenge? I always say I'm going to, but then chicken out- that's a butt-ton of food!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom