10 Most Disappointing Destinations in the World

Is WDW more of a letdown than a must-see?

• Yes

Votes: 24 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 249 91.2%

• Total voters

Avenger117

I have seen many complaints online about the cocktail prices at Disney. I really don't find them far off of the norm, if anything they are a bit cheaper. With the exception of Clemson( its a college town and cocktails are about $3.00), most places I have been lately had prices similar to Disney. (ie. DC, Midtown bars in Atlanta). And Disney is way cheaper than the drinks in Miami.

MarkTwain

True, but that can't be said of every vacation destination. Say you want to go to NYC and eat at fancy restaurant and then take in a Broadway show. If you think you'll be able to do that spur of the moment and just walk right in, then there's a bridge in that area you might be interested in purchasing.

Can't argue with that. I guess it comes down to what kind of trip people are expecting from a WDW vacation - people that go expecting a trip to the beach are in for a much bigger shock than those used to dealing with a faster-paced trip to NYC.

Mouse_Trap

To be honest, I used to think the same way. But I have friends who work in ticket sales. It really is the majority of guests--even after the CM tries to explain they could get a better deal. Never underestimate the number of international visitors, as well.

CMs get asked on a daily basis where to find Spiderman and Harry Potter, too.

Are you sure they don't mean that guests that purchase tickets at the park sales desk on the day?
I get how the majority of them maybe buying single day tickets, but I find it so hard to believe that it's true for all ticket sales. Do the majority of guests only visit for one-day or purchase tickets daily? I just can't imagine this.

When I first read the subject, but before reading the first post, my initial reaction was to say Stitch's Great Escape.

Yup, maybe they were only allowed 1 attraction per land, missed the parade and left before the night show and fireworks:
Tomorrowland: Stitch;
Fantasyland: Mermaid;
Discoveryland: Jungle Cruise/Tiki room;
Frontierland: TSI;
Liberty square: HoP;

The entire story is a complete joke to be honest.

At just over 2sq. miles, I wouldn't call Gibraltar a holiday destination, lovely though it is. It is also the 5th most densely populated places on earth.

Vegas squarely falls into the same category as Disney, you will probably love it or hate it. Either way you know what you are going to get before you go.

It's a bit harsh on Temple Bar, as there are a couple of lovely bars there. Sure most cater for the tourist, but hey that what most people there are. It's also right opposite the University.

I did agree with their description of Frankfurt from my own experience, but I am sure that staying in the middle of the financial district on a weekend was never going to be the busiest either and I sure didn't go looking for things to do there.

Tomi-Rocket

I hope tons of people will read the article and change their minds about going to Disney. (And hopefully thin out the crowds a bit.)

71jason

Do the majority of guests only visit for one-day or purchase tickets daily? I just can't imagine this.

The majority purchase daily tickets, often after being told they could save by buying a multi-day ticket. By my friend's account, that's the most frustrating part of the job, trying to save people a couple hundred bucks and they'd look at him like he was trying to scam them. I can't stress enough how uninformed the average tourist is.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The majority purchase daily tickets, often after being told they could save by buying a multi-day ticket. By my friend's account, that's the most frustrating part of the job, trying to save people a couple hundred bucks and they'd look at him like he was trying to scam them. I can't stress enough how uninformed the average tourist is.

Luckily we are more informed over here and tend only to be offered 7 to 21 day tickets, though the hard of thinking still believe the Orlando Flex ticket covers Disney World, despite it not being listed.

iheartdisney91

It's unfair to say WDW isn't a "must see" due to their pricing.
Usually most people on vacation are willing to spend a little more
on certain things just because their on vacation.

I admit Disney is pricey, but I also live in NY and a lot of our prices here
Are closely matched to those in WDW.

We are willing to spend what disney asks, and that hasn't held back
my family from going back multiple times. It's Disney World! You'll get over the tab because
It's totally worth the trip. IMO anyway.

Obi

I live in Cincinnati, OH and King's Island charges ~$90/day. The difference in quality is night and day. Don't get me wrong, I have fun at KI but would rather do Disney in a milli-second!
i used to live out in cincy too. move in 1990. haven't been to ki since.... i'm sure it's changed a LOT, but during the time i visited ki, while it was enjoyable, it still wasn't anything like wdw.

BrittanyRose428

Ummmm... Water at the movies I go to is $4.50, and $8.50 for a cocktail is not outrageous. I also don't get the $99/day thing, what an ignorant statistic. That makes it sound like you'd be spending $700 on tickets for 1 person for a week.

gboiler1

As I always say, those that fail to plan, plan to fail. Anytime I plan to go someplace I do months of research. I've been to WDW and a few other places multiple times and I still read up and plan.

Everything costs more these days from Disney to a ballgame to a concert which includes not only the main event but all the peripherals as well.

I have no empathy for people that complain do to ignorance.

CDavid

People can't understand how multiple day tickets will save them hundreds of dollars over the next several days, yet they are expected to research and be familiar with the (excessive) complexities of FP+ and Advance Dining Reservations? If they can't plan the vacation they're currently on three or four days ahead of time, does anyone really believe they are going to make dining selections six months out or pick FP times weeks or months in advance?

Yes, many people do and even take full advantage of the new system. In fact, I'm probably not talking about anyone on these boards. However, all those people who just show up at the gates with no plans beyond "we're going to a park today" don't get any of this - and that's a problem. What kind of impression are they going to take away from Walt Disney World after waiting in long, slow-moving (due to FastPass) standby lines all day and then being turned away from dinner (at many table-service restaurants) because they didn't make a reservation weeks earlier.

Some people like to plan, and that works fine for them, but it's nonsense to expect everyone to vacation the same way. A sharp learning curve tends to drive people away - and Disney's curve can look like a vertical cliff to the uninitiated.

I don't understand why anyone would vote "yes" to the poll above. This website is called WDW (Walt Disney World) Magic for a reason. You would think the people that post here would all agree that it is NOT at all disappointing because they are all fans of the World.

Walt Disney World in 2014 is utterly disappointing in so many ways and on so many different levels. At the same time, I get a great deal of enjoyment from multiple facets of the Walt Disney Company. However, I have been around long enough to grasp just how far WDW has fallen below its own previously held standards. No matter how much of a 'fan' I might be, I'm not going to give them a pass for delivering a substandard, cheapened, dumbed-down experience when the Disney I remember was once capable of much greater things.
Walt Disney World is a wonderful vacation that I always enjoy a great deal, even now, just like most people here. That doesn't mean there aren't issues - too many, in fact, and that's the problem - for which I am profoundly disappointed in Disney.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I may say that Universal is a lot more reasonable and is definitely not Disappointing.. But if I had the option to pay hundreds of dollars for WDW or 90 for Six Flags or Carowinds.... It would be Disney.

Tonka's Skipper

Uni prices all around are indeed starting to raise more and more. As to disappointing, that is of course subjective and to our family, except for HP both parks are a disappointment.

Disney still deliveries more magic and entertainment for the buck. Their just is no one else close.

Marijil

Total garbage piece...WDW has tons of issues but as much as Im disappointed sometimes, I hate to leave and cant wait to get back

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom