“Something major” coming to DHS???

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm all for them re-theming RNRC to a super popular artist...every few years and, I honestly don't know if I could name a single Taylor Swift song, they would get a LOT of people in line for that and I know she has a wide appeal and is family friendly.

However, in my example, people would be mad when she eventually gets replaced. Aerosmith hasn't had a hit song in....2 decades? It's just way past time for them to have a new band or theme.

BrianLo

I see your point and also agree, overall, that DHS would be the best spot for a Zootopia land should they want to build one at WDW. I also wouldn't be surprised if Disney didn't really care about any possible similarities and, Tron-style, just looked around for something that could be relatively easily lifted from one resort to the other tied to an IP that, in this case, they seem interested in promoting.

I suppose my feeling regarding the similarity of the experiences is that Disney does have to watch having basically one trick when designing new attractions, or it feeling that way. To me, anyway, this just looks a little too much like a MMRR/Ratatouille hybrid to sit alongside either of those attractions in the same park without it feeling like Disney is starting to just make slight variations on the same ride.

The busbar collection feels a bit different to me as they are relatively minor attractions and aimed at a younger audience. I feel like this would be a little bit more like if, after Pirate's success at Disneyland, the Western-themed replacement proposed for WDW opened up in Disneyland's Frontierland. The big criticism of Universal is that it has a lot of similar, screen-based experiences and one of the issues with EPCOT Center when it opened was that it offered a lot of very similar ride experiences. Cloning Zootopia at DHS wouldn't rise to that level yet, but personally I do feel guests may start to notice that a lot of the recent attractions had a very similar format to the point they would be better off trying something else.

Very much so. It’s a trade off and it’s a bit unfortunate MMRR is so close. Kind of an all or none situation. They can rush a pretty good project or back burner for something else. Which would probably put off the project another 4+ years. I too think DHS would highly benefit from water. But it seems like the sentiment on this forum is they need to start rushing projects.

At the very least Disney has done a set of indoor coasters, a princess flume, presumably Indy, whatever Encanto is (which could very well be trackless, different feeling), probably Test Track in between the trackless additions. Plus a large smattering of entertainment. Universal was burning itself not by Transformers, but by the aggressive close timing of Kong and F&F. The latter feeling disingenuous to the franchise and highlighting the problem. It also took until same-same attraction 4/5 in USF before the complaints kicked into high gear.

Disstevefan1

I'm all for them re-theming RNRC to a super popular artist...every few years and, I honestly don't know if I could name a single Taylor Swift song, they would get a LOT of people in line for that and I know she has a wide appeal and is family friendly.

However, in my example, people would be mad when she eventually gets replaced. Aerosmith hasn't had a hit song in....2 decades? It's just way past time for them to have a new band or theme.
If they were smart (which they are not) they would periodically change the artists. It can remain a recording studio, and it can remain limo ride to the concert.

Periodically changing it would bring newness and folks will want to ride to see the current artists.

WAIT - it will become too popular and they will go to boarding groups and ILL with no standby.

Never mind.

SirLink

1) The clue is in the name RocknRoller Coaster ... Taylor Swift is not rock and roll
2) If Disney hadn't sold the Queen library of songs would of been a good replacement
3) RNRC should be perhaps removed and link it with whatever they have in mind for Animation Courtyard.

Bocabear

I would prefer losing the "Limo to the Rock Concert" theme completely... The Rock and Roll theme never really felt like it went with the 1940s Hollywood Aesthetic of the front half of the park... I have loved that ride, enjoyed every time I have experienced it, but would love to see bigger better sets, a storyline that fits with the "Hollywood" theme of the park...Maybe redressed THAT is the replacement for Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin...s riotous race through Toontown? I would just love to see them get completely away from current day Rock music acts and tell a new story...something connected to Disney...

Splash4eva

Even if there is an over lay. Does it really matter if the ride stays the same… still going to be a coaster no matter how we look at it and still will not be a family friendly ride…

Raineman

If they retheme RnRC with Taylor Swift as the artist, then I guess I've taken my last ride on that attraction. It's not just that I am not a fan of her or her music, it's the fact that we've had her shoved in our face constantly for a while now. Can't even watch a football game without having to hear about/see her. Why not go with a more generic theme that isn't based on one artist/band? No SwiftieCoaster for me, thanks.

JD80

Since we're imagineering stuff.

• Keep Tower of Terror spooky (don't touch it or if you have to because of licensing keep the general theme)
  • Change RnRC to something ghostly.
    • Monster's Inc where you're the human being scared.
    • Mr Toad's Wild Ride V2.0
  • Tear down Launch Bay and create a spooky Moana Ride
    • Enter a dark and wet cave
    • Hear spooky voices of your ancestors calling to you
    • Discover long lost boats
    • Go on boat ride adventure (we saw some patents on some new tech a few years ago)
    • Fight a monster from the depths
Have a whole area of DHS where everything is scary/spooky and then you can get a new ticketed party event during Halloween season.

No idea what you would do with Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy.

UNCgolf

Very much so. It’s a trade off and it’s a bit unfortunate MMRR is so close. Kind of an all or none situation. They can rush a pretty good project or back burner for something else. Which would probably put off the project another 4+ years. I too think DHS would highly benefit from water. But it seems like the sentiment on this forum is they need to start rushing projects.

At the very least Disney has done a set of indoor coasters, a princess flume, presumably Indy, whatever Encanto is (which could very well be trackless, different feeling), probably Test Track in between the trackless additions. Plus a large smattering of entertainment. Universal was burning itself not by Transformers, but by the aggressive close timing of Kong and F&F. The latter feeling disingenuous to the franchise and highlighting the problem. It also took until same-same attraction 4/5 in USF before the complaints kicked into high gear.

I think the quality matters a lot in this conversation.

Yes, there were some complaints about original EPCOT having too many omnimovers, but it never seemed like it was a big problem for the majority of guests. I'm guessing that's because they were all excellent attractions.

The Universal rides you mention, on the other hand, aren't very good. It's easier to accept if it's just one, but having three very similar attractions and none of them rise above mediocrity is tough.

I don't think Zootopia looks especially good, so that could potentially be a problem, but since people do love MMRR that may not matter.

Bocabear

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster - Taylor's Version

That will finance Disney's $60B plans for investment alone

Who is going to finance it? I know Taylor Swift is popular and successful, but I cannot see her paying TDO the cost to sponsor the attraction....and having a Taylor Swift re-skin of Rock N Rollercoaster will never generate enough new business to finance much... It would be a well attended ride no doubt to specific fans of hers, but I don't think people will travel to WDW specifically for a 2 minute coaster ride with her music....

BrianLo

I think the quality matters a lot in this conversation.

Yes, there were some complaints about original EPCOT having too many omnimovers, but it never seemed like it was a big problem for the majority of guests. I'm guessing that's because they were all excellent attractions.

The Universal rides you mention, on the other hand, aren't very good. It's easier to accept if it's just one, but having three very similar attractions and none of them rise above mediocrity is tough.

Totally agree. Even more so, the 7 problematic similar attractions at the studios (Fast and Furious, Fallon, Gringotts, Simpson’s, Transformers, Minion Mayhem, formerly Shrek) - none actually shared a similar ride platform. It was all in design choices, pacing, storytelling, ‘ride feel’ that the complaints arose.

Something that Hogwarts Express technically never really got properly lumped up in, because the experience was so different feeling, despite technically being a seat and a screen.

EPCOT-O.G.

Original Poster
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster - Taylor's Version

That will finance Disney's $60B plans for investment alone

Who is going to finance it? I know Taylor Swift is popular and successful, but I cannot see her paying TDO the cost to sponsor the attraction....and having a Taylor Swift re-skin of Rock N Rollercoaster will never generate enough new business to finance much... It would be a well attended ride no doubt to specific fans of hers, but I don't think people will travel to WDW specifically for a 2 minute coaster ride with her music....
I think the poster was suggesting the attendance and ILL boost from riding RNRC (Taylor’s Version) would boost revenue so much so as to offset those $60B in build costs.

Bocabear

I think the poster was suggesting the attendance and ILL boost from riding RNRC (Taylor’s Version) would boost revenue so much so as to offset those $60B in build costs.
I find it unlikely that it would affect park revenue that much ...So you get to hear a 90 second snippet of a Taylor Swift song while on the exact same coaster experience you have been on a million times...I don't think it would actually bring more visitors to WDW...It would just be something newer...but not an additional or new attraction... snore.

ppete1975

I think if anyone has that power its Taylor Swift. Im not a fan. She has a few decent songs but if you watch the hype she brings and billions of dollars. And its not just little girls its the late twenties early thirty female demographic that grew up with her music, that drove the ERAs concerts and movies money machine. And have the money to spend, either for girl outings or taking their daughters.

I don't think it will happen. But if it did it would print money just for people making a trip for that one ride. Add in merch and its insane the money they would make.

I don't know if there is truly a comparison outside of beatlemania.

As someone who tries to look at decisions through ROI this would def be worth it.

JohnD

If they were smart (which they are not) they would periodically change the artists. It can remain a recording studio, and it can remain limo ride to the concert.

Periodically changing it would bring newness and folks will want to ride to see the current artists.

WAIT - it will become too popular and they will go to boarding groups and ILL with no standby.

Never mind.
True. They could make the theming more generic without specific references to rockers. Then, just like GOTG, switch up the music per ride. Maybe keep a song from Aerosmith. Add in other rockers.

Bocabear

I still don't think a reskin of an existing coaster with Taylor Swift would move the needle much....If it were a Taylor Swift Land and a live performance perhaps.... Aerosmith was a big deal back in the day and I seriously doubt that anyone went to WDW just because there was an Aerosmith themed coaster.... Likewise with this...Not saying her fans won't enjoy it, but I don't see it driving attendance to the parks....especially not for how short the attraction is, and we have all been on it a thousand times....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom