‘We’re putting people who are visiting Disney in danger.’ Firefighters say they are short-handed at theme park

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
How are people at a theme park any different than what they were before they crossed an invisible boundary line? People are people, and the fact is that there are hundreds of thousands of people in the district every day, and their needs don’t change depending on what side of the boundary line they’re on, and 4 stations aren’t enough for that kind of population. As a comparison, my department protects a population of about 150k with 15 stations, and we are looking to add stations as funding becomes available. The neighboring county protects a population of over 200k with 20 stations.

this doesn’t even get into the fact that manpower requirements drastically increase when you compare single family residences vs commercial occupancies vs mid rise/high rise occupancies…….
And in regard to population just being a number, look at WDW over the next two weeks….

Goofyernmost

How are people at a theme park any different than what they were before they crossed an invisible boundary line? People are people, and the fact is that there are hundreds of thousands of people in the district every day, and their needs don’t change depending on what side of the boundary line they’re on, and 4 stations aren’t enough for that kind of population. As a comparison, my department protects a population of about 150k with 15 stations, and we are looking to add stations as funding becomes available. The neighboring county protects a population of over 200k with 20 stations.

this doesn’t even get into the fact that manpower requirements drastically increase when you compare single family residences vs commercial occupancies vs mid rise/high rise occupancies…….
Because the vast majority of people in a theme park are of good to excellent health. Cities have homeless, poor elderly and many other that are just to ill to go to a theme park and walk 10 miles a day. The likelihood of a need for EMS is very low in WDW. Not impossible but low. As I stated before most would be falls or fatigue. It isn't the same. Even in cities with many EMS units there have been times when the wait was almost or definitely too long.

The land space in WDW is often compared with Manhattan, NY. 40+square miles. The population of Manhattan is 1.6 million and that's just at night, during the day when people go into the city to work it probably doubles. What Disney has, based on first the seriousness of the problem and the numbers of people and issues over all, is adequate. Can they add a few more people to the staffing, probably, but that is true with any service such as this. This is just an over reaction to a statement made by a union leader to apply leverage. It is not a real problem anymore than it is in the real world.

Whippet Mom

Wouldn't be surprised if other towns assisted Reedy Creek firefighters in Oct 2015 when guests were stuck for several hours during a monorail breakdown between MK and Contemporary Resort on the monorail track with no working AC . Guests had to be rescued by bucket trucks.
I was there when that happened. Thankful I had just got off at the Contemporary 10 minutes before the next Monorail broke down..

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Because the vast majority of people in a theme park are of good to excellent health. Cities have homeless, poor elderly and many other that are just to ill to go to a theme park and walk 10 miles a day. The likelihood of a need for EMS is very low in WDW. Not impossible but low. As I stated before most would be falls or fatigue. It isn't the same. Even in cities with many EMS units there have been times when the wait was almost or definitely too long.

The land space in WDW is often compared with Manhattan, NY. 40+square miles. The population of Manhattan is 1.6 million and that's just at night, during the day when people go into the city to work it probably doubles. What Disney has, based on first the seriousness of the problem and the numbers of people and issues over all, is adequate. Can they add a few more people to the staffing, probably, but that is true with any service such as this. This is just an over reaction to a statement made by a union leader to apply leverage. It is not a real problem anymore than it is in the real world.
You have no idea as to the health of the “vast majority” of anyone, anywhere….

hosekiller

With all due respect, you’re way off base. The idea that people at a theme park are any different than the people outside a theme park is so far in left field that it might as well be on Mars. I would agree that WDW has fewer homeless than most cities, but how does that factor into the equation? EMS doesn’t discriminate or treat people differently based on any sort of demographic, a person is a person. I spent 10 years working on an ambulance in a busy urban system, and the rich experienced medical emergencies just as much as the poor. Also, the amount of complaining in the tram tracker thread along with the number of times I’ve been personally run over by an ECV in the parks suggest your position that people in the parks are self sufficient is completely unfounded.

I generally wouldn’t call myself a union guy. I’m not anti union, but I would also agree we are past the days of paying kids 50 cents a day to change spools of thread in the mills. However, the union’s position is that they’re not meeting benchmarks. Based on my experience in the business as it were and what I’ve observed, the union isn’t off base. It appears that the guys are working their tails off but still aren’t meeting acceptable levels of care.

dovetail65

30,000 calls a year? I’m calling BS. That’s an average of 3.42 calls per hour.
From September through November 2021, the Orange County Fire Rescue dispatched 33 calls to Reedy Creek's coverage area.(quote from article)

They may have been getting phone calls, but not 30,000 emergency calls where they were dispatched to go out, that is for sure. It seems like they go out once every other day to me. 33 dispatches in 60 days was stated in a recent article, unless I misread that somehow.

hosekiller

Free service of EMS to guests/ cast including transport and not being charged and that's what is going to happen.
Just to clarify, you’re saying if they started billing call volume would decrease because people wouldn’t want to pay for a ride? If so, that’s not true. The service I used to work for constantly has most of their units in the street. These days, they usually have all of their units in the streets, and they charge an arm and a leg for a basic transport.

in the almost decade that I worked for this service, I NEVER saw a time where there were no active calls, even in the early morning hours. 3 active calls was considered a lull in the madness.

Last edited:

hosekiller

From September through November 2021, the Orange County Fire Rescue dispatched 33 calls to Reedy Creek's coverage area.(quote from article)

They may have been getting phone calls, but not 30,000 emergency calls where they were dispatched to go out, that is for sure. It seems like they go out once every other day to me. 33 dispatches in 60 days was stated in a recent article, unless I misread that somehow.
I don’t have access to RCID’s data, but “in the industry”, a call is where someone goes to help someone, whether it’s a fire, a medical, or a cat in the tree (yes, that really happens). A call doesn’t refer to how many times a phone rings in the dispatch center. For example, a single call often has several people reporting it to 911, but that counts as a single call for service. And for a jurisdiction of that size, 30k is not unreasonable to expect.

Lilofan

So you're saying that there's a subset of people who can afford a WDW vacation, but can't afford to go to a doctor?
Believe it or not you will be surprised what some regardless of income levels will go and get something for free. Afford? Look to see that credit card debt is at record levels including some who go vacation and can't pay for it ( ie minimum payments on credit card bill ).

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Believe it or not you will be surprised what some regardless of income levels will go and get something for free. Afford? Look to see that credit card debt is at record levels including some who go vacation and can't pay for it ( ie minimum payments on credit card bill ).
I believe it. I just don't believe people would willingly damage a Disney vacation to get a free ambulance ride and ER visit. Especially when an ER visit would normally only take care of the immediate issue, and not be a full health check.

Also, with your previous comment about CM's, they don't normally go to a hospital (other than major injuries, like when I had my spine injured) - they go to their in-house health services office behind Epcot, which Disney owns and operates.

flynnibus

Premium Member

This reeks of 'it could happen' vs 'its happening and its a problem'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom