Did building/opening WDW kill Roy O. Disney?

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Before Walt Disney died, he successfully (and secretly) assembles the 28,000 acres for WDW. During his last years, he lead a team that planned out, sketched, and built models for what Walt wanted to build on the company's newly acquired Florida property - a theme park similar but not a copy of DL with hotels and a residential small "futurist" city that looked like it came out of the Jetsons. Then, suddenly, after spending all his time for months on the planning of the "Florida Project", Walt died.

His brother Roy O. Disney (Roy E. Disney of SaveDisney.com is Roy O. Disney's son) was then the company's new cheif in command. At first, still grieving over the loss of his younger brother, Roy took no major executive actions. As this went on, Roy was considering selling the company off. Then, after a few months, Roy decided he was going to carry on with Walt's plans and build WDW. He decided it would be too much to build both the park/resort and city at the same time, so he rationalized that it would be best to build the park/resort first and, if that made money, the profits would finance the futuristic city... in the future.

So construction started like a lighting bolt. First installing the lands infrastructure (draining swamps, building canels, creating man-made lakes, roads, water/suage, garbage facilities, etc.). It was the largest construction work for just infrastructure alone for a single project. Then construction started on the Magic Kingdom, Contemporary, Fort Wilderness, Polynessian, two golf courses, and the monorail - all at the same time. It was the most complete and comprehensive construction ever for a resort and a "complete" theme park. Budget limitations didn't allow for some rides and hotels to get built, so Roy decided to build these after opening.

The park opened on time in October 1971 and for an incredibly low budget (compared with today's standards). Months leading to opening, it looked like they were not going to make deadline by a long shot. One constuction worked I read an interview from said even a week before opening, it looked like it would be a miracle that they would meet their deadline. According to this worker, very big and obvious things were not done yet that week before opening, such as filling cement for sidewalks.

Roy would not accept excuses for any delay. He didn't care how much work had to be done. He wanted it done by deadline. He told his project managers that if they had to hire more workers... hire more workers. If they had to work throughout the night, as well as the day, work throughout the night. That worker I read that interview from said that, with amazement, he saw things get done litterally over night, such as the sidewalks.

It is known that Roy would fly to Florida to inspect the construction almost daily until opening. On October 1, 1971, Roy opened WDW opened for the public. Then, about two months later, he died.

Here is my question for all of you. Do you think Roy Disney was overworked and exausted - too overworked and exausted for a man his age - and this is what killed him - his drive and over-ambition to see to it that (at least in part) his younger brother's dream became a reality? Or do you think he was nearing death any way - that maybe he knew this, and that this was the true reason for his drive to build WDW - and the true reason why he wouldn't allow any construction delays - why that deadline was so important to him? Or maybe he was already sick and exaustion from working to hard just made him even sicker, thus speading up the tameframe he would have died?

Or do you think that his death two months after opening was merely a coincidence?

For those who don't know the story: Roy's right-hand man, the one who helped make the miracle of getting the park opened on time by managing the construction of WDW like a drill sargeant, Card Walker, became the company's third execuitive after Roy died. Walker cancelled development on the hotels, a major major ride called Western River Expedition, and decided to explore the idea about building a second "gate" with money that would have been spent to build Walt's futuristic city (thereby changing that project's status from "on hold" to officially cancelled). He also responded to public demands for an east-coast Pirates of the Caribbean by ordering it built and open within a year without giving it the neccessary funds to do so.

fngoofy

I thought it was a ritualistic death.

After the moon was high, and the incantations read, Roy was lowered into his secret tomb, at the base of the Contemporary Resort (below what is now valet parking.)

Accompanying Roy in his tomb were valued and trusted CMs that had served him well in this mortal life. In addition, golden Mickey Ears, a Goofy costume of pure silk, and a solid platinum tablet with the company’s profit statements engraved for eternity.

Prophesy states that whoever shall disturb the final resting place of Roy will be doomed to 7½ hour shifts with only two 15 minute breaks and eternal questioning of when the 3:00 parade begins.

I don’t know if its just me, but I thought the Pinocchio cod piece/burial shroud was spectacular, much better than the Huey, Dewey, & Louie theme that Eisner’s is rumored to be.

Now if they could just remember which Contemporary Resort ice machine they stored the vessels containing Roy’s entrails, the final rights of his ascension can begin and the world will once again tremble at the Mouse’s roar…

or something like that…right?

WDWEric

fngoofy said:

After the moon was high, and the incantations read, Roy was lowered into his secret tomb, at the base of the Contemporary Resort (below what is now valet parking.)

Accompanying Roy in his tomb were valued and trusted CMs that had served him well in this mortal life. In addition, golden Mickey Ears, a Goofy costume of pure silk, and a solid platinum tablet with the company’s profit statements engraved for eternity.

Prophesy states that whoever shall disturb the final resting place of Roy will be doomed to 7½ hour shifts with only two 15 minute breaks and eternal questioning of when the 3:00 parade begins.

I don’t know if its just me, but I thought the Pinocchio cod piece/burial shroud was spectacular, much better than the Huey, Dewey, & Louie theme that Eisner’s is rumored to be.

Now if they could just remember which Contemporary Resort ice machine they stored the vessels containing Roy’s entrails, the final rights of his ascension can begin and the world will once again tremble at the Mouse’s roar…

Uh...OKay!!! :lol:

Number_6

fngoofy said:

I think I speak for just about everybody when I saw... !?!?!

lebernadin

Well he died of a cerebral hemorrhage at the age of 78. I think the way you propose the question is more ominous than it needs to be. He was old, he'd worked with his brother in a relatively fast-paced environment and had lived a full life at the time of his passing. So the environs of the work he engaged in naturally had an effect on his body, just as they do on us.

DarkMeasures

He should have vacationed those last 2 years of his life.
And Walt shouldn't have smoked. I wonder if he had not, would he have outlived his wife (who died in 1997)?

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Roy Disney

I would think that he was no more/less driven than his brother, and as has been stated, his work ethic did take a toll on him. As it would with any of us. I know I for one feel older every day. But then, aren't we all?

Figment1986

the stress of getting WDW's MK open on time may have played a factor into his death. I remember reading that a few days before he was going to get new glasses cause he was complaining of this blur in his eyes....

aimster

I'm only 30 and I feel about 10 years older half the time. So age can take its toll at any time. Plus if you constantly work and push youself like Roy did after Walt died, it would just totally drain you. And... he was 78 when he died. Overall he lived a very full life that was hardly ever dull.

Jajo

Roy understood as Walt did, that if WDW failed, their legacy was lost. Sure they had the motion pictures, books, DL, etc. but they had risked everything on their DL east.

Talk about pressure.

heres a little disney history kinda pertaining to this thread. I read this in a book in daytona while waiting for a rain storm to pass so i could go to the race anyways. walt disney decided on the land in florida on the same day that president kennedy died. i was thought that was quite interestting

JTFerret

Roy lived a life that had to be stressful before the Florida project. He had faith in his brother, but sometimes couldn't fathom the things Walt dreamed about. He also suffered from tuberculocus (sp?) when he was younger. That being said, I'm sure that the pressure of getting WDW open was a factor in his death, but just one of many factors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom