Bad Show?

BwanaBob

Original Poster
I hope this is extremely temporary!

Can anyone else comment on this?

Last night (1/1), had to run out to car to get jackets for family during 1st showing of Spectro. Bad time, I know, but we weren't there for parade.
Anyways, saw CM's directing exiting traffic backstage.
Questioned it at first, but went ahead.
There were Christmas trees along the way (every 12-15 feet) and temp. speakers playing Main Street entrance music. Also had signs made directing traffic to Tomorrowland by way of BACKSTAGE! Eventually dumped you out right alongside Tony's Town Square Rest.

I'm all for traffic flow, but I'm not sure this was as bright an idea as first thought.

Tell me this isn't a permanent thing!

General Grizz

Unless Disney ABSOLUTELY *HAD* to do this, it is totally bad show.

Also -- crowd flow should be considered in capacity. If guests have to go backstage, then there are too many people in the park and it is dangerous.

barnum42

I've walked that route before - upon entering mainstreet when spectro magic was running it's first show. The only way to get to the other end of mainstreet was via backstage, so the route was opened up from Tony's to the Tomorrowland theatre.

General Grizz

What exactly did you see? I know Main Street has parking lots/white staircases behind the buildings on each side - is this what you saw? :fork:

WDWhumanmap

i mean i can't tell ya for certain what is up but that is what they use to do at ds after fantasmic when ds was open later to get the 9pm show out in time to move in the 10pm we were moved to heading out towards the enterance exiting right where the gas sation is i mean like we didn't want to ride on last ride nope your on your way out if it was like if you saw fantasmic thats the only thing left to see i agree this is very poor showing on disney's part:(

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Using backstage areas of Main Street has been a long-standing practise for extreme crowd situations. It comes down to guest safety over-ruling the show standard for those few days of the year when this happens. :)

ISTCrew20

They did this at MGM aswell. That day they were filming the Wayne Brady show...They made us walk halfway down Sunset, and opened a backstage door by BATB, and it dumped us RIGHT by the entrance. a MUCH MUCH faster walk then going by the normal way...I have picutres too!!:D

raven

Only makes sense to me. If that was the only way to get around main street during Spectro, then that was fine. And they even theamed it for you! That's cool.

I was directed to a backstage area after Fantasmic one night as well. This was to get all of the people out of the park and off of Sunset Blvd. Even though you could see where you were going and could tell you were headed to the front of the park, the route still ended up right outside of a store in the park. But it was ok. I didn't think they were putting on a "bad show." It's just traffic directing the Disney way. :D

xfkirsten

Yup, I can confirm that this is standard practice on those very busy days. Only usually happens a few days out of the year. And as someone else mentioned, since safety is first concern, they'd rather have you walk backstage at Main Street than get that severe overcrowding onstage. Safety takes priority over show, always.

I have to say, though, last time they did this while I was working there, they didn't tell us Glow CMs that they were doing that, so when everyone came to us asking how to get out of the park and that they had been told to exit by Tomorrowland, we were all very confused!

-Kirsten

castlecake2.0

Im pretty sure this is at Disneylad Paris, but it may be at Tokyo Disneyland, anyways, they have the backside of Main St themed like the front, so during the parades they open it up and you can walk through that way, has anybody else seen or heard of this, or am I just making this up?

-ty:king:

General Grizz

OK. . I can only "tolerate" this (assuming Disney has done this for a while) if there are no traces of backstage life - cars - white buildings, etc. Disney needs to decorade the backstage if they continue to do this, IMO.

ISTCrew20

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
OK. . I can only "tolerate" this (assuming Disney has done this for a while) if there are no traces of backstage life - cars - white buildings, etc. Disney needs to decorade the backstage if they continue to do this, IMO.

Have you waited in the Millioniare queue?!

ISTCrew20

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
I have - what did I miss? :confused:

When your waiting, you never have looked to the right of the covered tarp area. Your practicly in the parking lot, next to cars, portables and other buildings.

Pixie Duster

Trust me grizz I know it is bad show, but Safety comes before show on our totem pole of sorts, and if it was done to keep our guests safe then I agree with it.

General Grizz

I agree - safety is always before show. It's #1 "Key to the Kingdom". However, if guests regularly enter backstage, it really should be made part of the show.

BwanaBob

Original Poster
O.K.

Sorry about getting back to you all so late...

New Years night, so obviously a very packed place.

Had I realized where I was headed, I might have brought camera...

"Storage" of the vendor carts (ice cream and the such), trailers, many WDW vehicles-both maintenance and other work vehicles not marked, filled trash bins (and not the nice pretty covered ones either), employees talking on cell phones (a couple), able to see into swinging/entrance doors of "cafeteria" like plain walls and vinyl floors of the back of bakery and other buildings (I'm guessing of course judging on my proximity), planters strategically placed to try and block some of this (all were on these little wagon-styled carts-they left them on for quick removal I'm guessing.
I mean, I know that you don't expect to see nice painted walls and ground cover...
I was just more suprised of the other route to Tomorrowland! I've seen much "more" going on in that area. People were allowed to enter and exit from these pathways, so why didn't they just allow the one passage to The Plaza Restaurant vs. going all the way to backstage of Tomorrowland Theater?

Just curious.

And did it help? Not sure! Everything just bottle-necked at Tony's like it always does anyways!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom