12 February 2003 Site Update: Project Gemini

WDWspider

The thought of Spaceship Earth as a "coaster" makes me feel sick to my stomach. :cry:

Steve, I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by spider-man
The thought of Spaceship Earth as a "coaster" makes me feel sick to my stomach. :cry:

Steve, I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

My source of info on that (who I have to say is highly reliable), was up until yesterday highly sceptical of the coaster rumor. But along came a document from the people who make such decisions, and it is listed as "Spaceship Earth COASTER". Now to what extent this is a coaster remains to be answered. And of course in its final version it may not be a coaster at all, but it is certain that it is under serious consideration right now.

Personally I will be very sad to see SE go. I would prefer it to remain in its current format.

Pioneer Hall

This goes on my pile with the GMR remake. I really don't believe it too much and I won't until I see the press release or construction start.

DisneyCP2000

I can't believe that they're acutally planning to do that. Disney is beginning to become less and less of a family theme park with all these coasters being built! Sad, Sad, Sad! :cry:

If they were to do this. Would they totally gut the inside? And if they did, would the structure still be sound as a hollow sphere?

Mitzer

Originally posted by wdwmagic
Personally I will be very sad to see SE go. I would prefer it to remain in its current format.

I will be saddened to see SE go also...I love that ride. It said in your update that it will be slatted to open in late 2006 I believe, but when are they considering closing it? Do you know that info yet?

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by Horizons38
What is the World coming to if SE becomes a coaster ! :cry:

This makes me sick to my stomach... :( Ugh.. a coaster?

Steve...any update on SE's sponsor (or lack thereof) status?
Meaning...who is going to foot the bill for the New ride in SE?

WDWspider

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
This goes on my pile with the GMR remake. I really don't believe it too much and I won't until I see the press release or construction start.

Well... the difference for me is that Steve is reporting this on his main pages. To me, that means a pretty reliable source at that point. Until now, I never considered the Coaster concept a possiblity. However, a coaster could mean something very different from the typical interpretation... at least I hope that may be the case.

Horizons38

Premium Member
Well... the difference for me is that Steve is reporting this on his main pages. To me, that means a pretty reliable source at that point. Until now, I never considered the Coaster concept a possiblity. However, a coaster could mean something very different from the typical interpretation... at least I hope that may be the case.

I agree Spidey, except that even if it isn't a typical Coaster, it again still will be Epcot without the one and only original SE , and i am sure most of us will be very sad to see it go:( Most of the changes up to now have not been for the better :(

Pioneer Hall

It is still a rumor in my mind. And I can't get upset over something I don't know is true. If I saw a press release from Disney saying a coaster was coming to SE then I would be mad. But until then...I can't let a rumor get to me.

WDWspider

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
It is still a rumor in my mind. And I can't get upset over something I don't know is true. If I saw a press release from Disney saying a coaster was coming to SE then I would be mad. But until then...I can't let a rumor get to me.

Oh, we look from different angles. I still do not accept it as fact. :lol: I just accept it as a real rumor now. Before I didn't even believe the potential to do this was realistic. I never considered my feelings or thoughts on this idea until now, only because now it's an official rumor. Understand. :veryconfu :animwink:

Bryy2001

I don't know about the rest of you, but Im thrilled with the prospect of project gemini. A soarin' Over attraction will be great and Im sure that Epcot will look amazing when everything is all said and done. Im actually very excited with the prospect of a new E-ticket SE attraction, Im sure that the new attraction will be everything the old attraction was and probably more. Come December 2006 everyone will be drooling with anticipation for the new ride.

WDWspider

Originally posted by Bryy2001
I don't know about the rest of you, but Im thrilled with the prospect of project gemini. A soarin' Over attraction will be great and Im sure that Epcot will look amazing when everything is all said and done. Im actually very excited with the prospect of a new E-ticket SE attraction, Im sure that the new attraction will be everything the old attraction was and probably more. Come December 2006 everyone will be drooling with anticipation for the new ride.

Not me... I may be extreme minority, but M:S does not excite me... Test Track does not thrill me... New Journey does not energize me... The Living seas no longer wows me... the WoL no longer interests me.... now SE earth may become an E-ticket (as in thrill ride e-ticket). :hurl: I wish I could share your enthusiasm.

Don't misunderstand... I will ride them and be curious the first go round... but that something that used to be at EPCOT just isn't there any more (for me anyway). :(

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Bryy2001

There is no reason for Epcot to be an all E-ticket park. This is the main reason I just don't see a SE coaster happening. If everything goes according to plan then in 2006 you have at least 4 E-tickets in Epcot. Considering the amount of attractions at the park it just doesn't seem right. There would be three family rides in Future World then. Why would Disney want to totally turn families away from one of the parks. If Epcot turned in to this I 200 dollars on admission if only part of a family would be able to enjoy the park. Even though the ideas seem feasible, I don't see them happening unless they create more attractions to form a balance for families. DCA opened like this and look at it now. They are doing whatever they can to make it child friendly. Why would Disney make this mistake twice? Makes absolutely NO sense.

Horizons38

Premium Member
Not me... I may be extreme minority, but M:S does not excite me... Test Track does not thrill me... New Journey does not energize me... The Living seas no longer wows me... the WoL no longer interests me.... now SE earth may become an E-ticket (as in thrill ride e-ticket). :hurl: I wish I could share your enthusiasm.

Don't misunderstand... I will ride them and be curious the first go round... but that something that used to be at EPCOT just isn't there any more (for me anyway). :(

I guess i'll join you on the extreme minority , M:S is the one that replaced Horizons and i can't "handle" those types of rides so for me it is not as exciting i guess, i do not mind Test Track, i miss terribly the original Journey, i wish the Living Seas would of remained the way they were, so i will hope that SE at least stays the same as far as the ride goes , if they want to add go ahead but please let's hope they do not remove the original one:(

Pioneer Hall

I am happy to see new things, and I don't really mind the way the park is now. There is a fairly good mix of thrills and mellow rides. I think they could add a little more for the non-thrill seekers, but I feel that it is a fairly good median. I do not want to see Epcot become an all thrill park like this is suggesting, but I do like that there are a few thrill rides.

adr315

i see a SE coaster as direct competition to the Mummy coaster at USO...... Disney is probably hearing how incredible and immersive that ride will be, and they're out to top it.......

MicBat

The main purpose of Epcot still is to educate, am I right? I dont see how they're going to be able to put a roller coaster and give it educational value all while fitting it into such a confined space. Think about it... SE isn't exactly small, but to fit a coaster inside would take up the majority of the sphere, wouldn't it? They would have to, somehow, add on to it a preshow of some sort to keep up with the main idea of Epcot... Is this making any sense?

WDWspider

Originally posted by MicBat
The main purpose of Epcot still is to educate, am I right? I dont see how they're going to be able to put a roller coaster and give it educational value all while fitting it into such a confined space. Think about it... SE isn't exactly small, but to fit a coaster inside would take up the majority of the sphere, wouldn't it? They would have to, somehow, add on to it a preshow of some sort to keep up with the main idea of Epcot... Is this making any sense?

Well, I guess the Golf Sponsor option is still a possibility, and this would become a great opportunity to theme a coaster after the life of a golf ball. We blast off just after hearing "Fore!" then go into the ball, do a huge slice, and return back. It could even have a water splash ending as we are knocked into a water hazard and lost forever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom