MK Entertainment Experiments

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The Magic Kingdom is to test out a few things over the next month in regards to entertainment scheduling. They understand that guests want night time entertainment, and also they know how difficult night entertainment is when the parks have such low attendance and short operating hours, specifically closing at 6pm. Keeping the park open until 8pm to be dark enough for fireworks is tricky, but they are going to try one week of low attendance where fireworks will run every night, one week with SpectroMagic running every night, and one week alternating each day. On the back of this there will be lots of guest surveys during this time to see if the new entertainment increases guests ratings and intent to return to the parks. Finally, they are working on an idea where instead of either fireworks or a parade, a huge character meet on Mainstreet USA will take place, with close to 100 different characters interacting with guests with music etc.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by wdwmagic
The Magic Kingdom is to test out a few things over the next month in regards to entertainment scheduling. They understand that guests want night time entertainment, and also they know how difficult night entertainment is when the parks have such low attendance and short operating hours, specifically closing at 6pm. Keeping the park open until 8pm to be dark enough for fireworks is tricky, but they are going to try one week of low attendance where fireworks will run every night, one week with SpectroMagic running every night, and one week alternating each day. On the back of this there will be lots of guest surveys during this time to see if the new entertainment increases guests ratings and intent to return to the parks. Finally, they are working on an idea where instead of either fireworks or a parade, a huge character meet on Mainstreet USA will take place, with close to 100 different characters interacting with guests with music etc.

this character idea is really cool, but I think they should have at least one or two nights with parade and fireworks every week, so that even people who travel off-season are able to enjoy it.

kwt10

Sounds like a good idea to try. It seems that Disney is trying to come up with some ideas that will help with new ideas to make visitors happy.

Lord Alfred

Hours have been extended in the last week of September so that's probably the first week they are going to try this. Some people were concerned that the increased hours were going to be due to potential crowds, but I guess we can put that to rest now.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Of course, all locals and people who can make it to the park on these nights should do so. Take the survey and let them know what you think!

Mag1575

That's interesting. I just wish that I would be able to go in September. I'm hoping I can make it at the beginning of November.

Mark

dliddi

.I like the idea of stay open later, it's allot of peoples favorite time to be there, to experience the parks, it mine, and we all know that it was Walt’s. I go on the off season, and am disappointed that it’s not open later on a couple of nights, so anything would be nice, even one night during the week would be nice

Grumpy56

It seems to me that this indicates that Disney really is trying to give guests what they want in spite of a lowering of attendence. This is a good thing! Let's hope this trend continues.

chellnjr

This makes me so happy! It is nice to know that the extended hours are not because of massive crowds. I'm going to make everyone on my party take as many surveys as possible!!!

pheneix

It's really nice to hear that WDW management is attempting at actually create some added value in the off-season. They will almost certainly be squashed by their superiors in Burbank as the parks coveted profitibility is sacrificed for the chance to make their customers happy, but at least they are trying.

>>>Finally, they are working on an idea where instead of either fireworks or a parade, a huge character meet on Mainstreet USA will take place, with close to 100 different characters interacting with guests with music etc.<<<

That sounds pretty cool, but it should be something like an afternoon event. It is going to create a HUGE bottleneck at any time of day, but at closing it would be a massive crowd control disaster. Then of course there is that little thing about sacrificing Spectromagic and Fantasy in the Sky for what is little more than a giant organized character meet and greet (what the hell ever happened to the spontaneous encounters that made my childhood trips to Disney World so damn good! No need to stand in a line, Mickey Mouse is roaming around the park!). This is a good concept, but the execution that is being talked about for it is tragic.

lentesta

Premium Member
The new ideas are welcome. But eliminating fireworks or Spectromagic completely is, in my opinion, a bad idea. The older I get, the more I appreciate the nighttime parades.

How would management avoid a stampede to Mickey every night with the character idea? I mean, if it can be done in an orderly fashion, getting to high-five Mickey before leaving the park (with fireworks going off in the background) would be an experience to remember.

Len

pheneix

Well, to throw some more rumors in the pot, the giant character gig is not really a meet and greet, but rather a giant stage show. The logistics of this still horrify me though, but it is described as being "the Fantasmic of the Magic Kingdom" if it were to ever go through.

Also, for the runs of Spectro and Fantasy in the Sky, if the park were to be open later for these shows (after the test runs), it is a given that not everything in the park will be open. Expect many attractions, shops, and/or entire lands to close early.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Originally posted by pheneix

Also, for the runs of Spectro and Fantasy in the Sky, if the park were to be open later for these shows (after the test runs), it is a given that not everything in the park will be open. Expect many attractions, shops, and/or entire lands to close early.

Close early or close earlier than the rest of the park? Thats a major diffrence. Cant see how closing whole areas early would create anything other than congestion and annoyance to guests. asuming that the whole point of this exercise is to up admissions, there has to be something more than a parade.

I think they should be applauded for at least trying to find out what exactly the customer wants. It may not be the answer that people on here would like, after all questionares can be slanted to suport the answer your looking for. But lets hope this is the first step to reclaim lost ground.
My first ever visit I saw neither and was a little dissapointed (it was a Sep) perhaps this will pay off in the long run.:)

pheneix

>>>asuming that the whole point of this exercise is to up admissions<<<

More like to boost profits. Revenues are plummiting, and this is an effort to get more money out of the (increasingly angry) guests that actually do show up at the park and find out there isn't any parade or fireworks. For a few people this is a last ditch effort to keep the MK open later, but for the most part this is an experiment that was created from the orders given to WDW to "boost profits."

There is also a rumor that this could be indirectly due to Universal's experiementing with an evening parade with Macy's coming this December...

Worldphile

Originally posted by pheneix
Well, to throw some more rumors in the pot, the giant character gig is not really a meet and greet, but rather a giant stage show. The logistics of this still horrify me though, but it is described as being "the Fantasmic of the Magic Kingdom" if it were to ever go through.

Well, if that' s true then it gets more interesting. People wait 2+ hours now for Fantasmic. Therefore, they can still shut down the attractions at 6:00, leave the shops and restaurants open, and if people are willing to wait 2 hours, then it is 8:00pm and time for the show.

Somehow, they'll have to combine waiting with spending in order to generate revenue. Maybe some sort of Fastpass or Dinner package like system that lets you shop/eat while holding a place in line (or a spot for a parade?).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom