Why Universal?

DisneyBeatles

Original Poster
I didn't know exactly where to put this. Anyway, why do people like Universal sooo much. when i went there, it was the worst experience of my life, and swore to never go back. I can see how they have some cool rides and are aimed towards teens/adults, but i just thought of it as an overrated six flags park. No offense to anyone who likes it, but whyyyyy

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If you don't understand I doubt a few web posts will explain it.

Kind of asking someone who hates theme parks why do you like Disneyworld.

CP_alum08

The same reason why some people hate Disney World.

Their opinion is right to them, your opinion is right to you. Where are you getting confused?

celluloid

If going to Universal was the worst experience of your entire life...I have a feeling it would be a hard time explaining anything to you that requires experience. If that is really one of the worst experiences of your life and it does not include any surprises like a family member died while you were there, you have it pretty good.

I could talk about the adventure. I could talk about the feeling of being extraordinary. I could talk about the thrill, the stories, the memories, the this and the that, but I think I'll leave it at Potter for now.

I loved/was obsessed with Universal Orlando before Potter, sure, but now the resort has and is expanding on the embodiment of a series that's kind of (don't laugh at me [or do, I've learned not to care]) defined and shaped my life in more ways that I can say. It allows me to go to Hogwarts, to walk through Hogsmeade, to drink Butterbeer, to just revel in the sheer reality of it all.

That will always keep me going back.

Well, once I'm legally allowed back in the parks, that is. Three-hundred-thirty days down, thirty-seven days to go.

Xethos

I didn't know exactly where to put this. Anyway, why do people like Universal sooo much. when i went there, it was the worst experience of my life, and swore to never go back. I can see how they have some cool rides and are aimed towards teens/adults, but i just thought of it as an overrated six flags park. No offense to anyone who likes it, but whyyyyy

Can you go into detail about what you did not enjoy about the park, or parks you went to? If you are a fan of theme parks I dont see how it could have been that bad.

Megavolt

The same reason you like WDW. It's about what you are into and what resonates with you.

I would like to know what you think Universal and Six Flags have in common. I honestly cannot compare the two as Universal is much better imo.

Tom Morrow

Question for OP: How long ago did you visit? Because ever since Potter opened, Universal has been improving every day in all areas and they don't seem to be stopping.

Answer to OP's question: because both of their parks are fully fleshed out theme parks that offer more thrilling experiences than anything Disney can offer me. Because unlike Disney, they now care about the show quality of their attractions, and are still interested in wow-ing the public rather than just making something that is "good enough" or sometimes not even "good enough."

rwdavis2

Sounds like you went there without doing any research and expecting it to be Disney, which it's not. But, considering your post count, you look like you're just trolling for responses.

Megavolt

I forgot, it is Spring Break. I assume this is like other forums and the youngsters come out the woodwork trying to sir the pot. This post smells like that style.

dave&di

Why do some people like cheese and others hate it? Personal taste I guess! There is no answer to it!

Personally I love WDW and enjoy Universal, it is possible to appreciate many theme parks! :shrug:

JT3000

How do you feel about raccoon hats?

Question for OP: How long ago did you visit? Because ever since Potter opened, Universal has been improving every day in all areas and they don't seem to be stopping.

Answer to OP's question: because both of their parks are fully fleshed out theme parks that offer more thrilling experiences than anything Disney can offer me. Because unlike Disney, they now care about the show quality of their attractions, and are still interested in wow-ing the public rather than just making something that is "good enough" or sometimes not even "good enough."

This.

This is the reason why Universal wins for me. I used to love Disney. Universal in the past 15 years has created so many mind blowing experiences. Spider-man, Mummy, Men in Black, Terminator (when it was new), Simpsons, not to mention the entire Potter thing. They've spent the money and pushed the technology on their attractions. Not only this, but they show they care about show quality through their awesome maintenance team and the Spider-man revamp. They take all these elements that are out there and put them together into one amazing experience with one goal in mind: To blow you away.

There are only two rides that have EVER completely stunned me as I was exiting: Forbidden Journey and Spider-man.

Within the same amount of time, I've seen Disney slowly slipping away into a "good enough" mood. And the bar that can be called "good enough" seems to be getting lower and lower. I fear that most people are blind sighted to this because, well, "it's Disney!"

When I went on Countdown to Extinction, I was terrified. It was an awesome experience that overwhelmed my hearing senses. When I went on it as Dinosaur, I thought it was still pretty neat, but not near as good as the original. I remembered a more aggressive profile. When I got off of it in December, I thought "?!" Half of the original effects weren't working, and the door to the time travel chamber wasn't working, so you could clearly hear the next scene. That ride was in horrible condition, and should not have been running. Then I found out it had been like that for months? What's the excuse?

As for Everest, why should I bother when the whole point of the attraction hasn't worked in years?

Don't even get me started on the Imagination Pavilion.

Midway Mania I think is a fine example of half-assing a ride. It feels like I'm just moving from TV to TV in a big warehouse to play a different game. I think it would have been really awesome if we could have had physical targets to shoot at in addition to the video screens. I will also NEVER understand why they have FASTPASS for this ride. It already has a low capacity and a slow moving line. Why add another line and split that capacity in half?

I do like Tower of Terror, however. It's the perfect combination of projections, physical sets, and thrill ride. You can't get that experience anywhere else. And the attraction is still in excellent condition.

And that huge blue hat? Yeah, that's a sin!

So after all these years, why is the Studios still a half day park? Why is Animal Kingdom still a two hour park? Why does Disney seem to not care so much anymore? They're making the money! Put it to good use, and stop with the nextgen crap. How is that going to help me when I visit the parks by myself and not staying onsite?

Universal I think does these things so much better. The employees seem to actually be happy to be there. Their smiles look real, not cheesy "I work here so I have to smile." Their overall guest relations seem to be genuine, and I have never gotten an automated response from guest relations either.

So there it is. I like Disney, and I want them to be better and get back on track. But I think Universal is always going to be better because of the current direction they're going.

Walt Disney1955

I'm not sure what the OP is talking about. Universal is far from a Six Flags experience. Even the best Six Flags park - lets say Magic Mountain - isn't Universal. Even Cedar Point, which I love, isn't quite the same.

Universal blows you away. The only problem I have is that while Islands of Adventure continues to do a great job they seem to be taking the soul out of Universal Studios. Jaws is gone for good which sucks because that was one of their flagship rides. They have bad judgement when it comes to utilizing space. All that room and they throw an obtrusive rollercoaster in there and get rid of King Kong. Doesn't make any sense.

So there is certainly a disadvantage to Universal that way. Attractions don't stay long enough to develop an aura or some traditions. What's left? E.T? That's comparable to Small World in Disney and to be honest I wonder how much longer E.T. has left there, which is sad.

That's what seperates Disney from Universal for sure. Disney finds a way to combine new rides but keep the core of their park intact. There is something special about being able to ride something that everyone did in 1971. You don't get that with Universal. But in my mind, both Universal parks are top notch with all that in mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom