Which Long House and Why?

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hey All! :wave:

DH and I are doing some research and wanted to request a long house. At this time, we have chosen to do a garden view room. I would love to upgrade to a Theme Park view but can't justify the extra $1100. What long house do you recommend? And why?

I have the tikiman website which has loads of info but I am looking for personal reviews.

Thank you!

captainkidd

I like Tokelau. It's one of the 3 "newer" longhouses, so it has larger rooms (476 sq ft, versus 415 sq ft.) It's very central to the whole resort. Quiet pool is right outside the building. TTC is short walk away. Laundry is short walk, as well as GCH.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
I have been seeing Tokelau is the one to request. But I was confused based on Tikiman's photo which showed the levels of each building. Green were garden and blue were lagoon and MK views and Tokelau was blue. So I didn't know if it would qualify. But then under the description, it said garden, so I was all confused. Thanks!

Upvote 0

MGG

Tokelau

Are all rooms in Tokelau newer and larger. If one is more interested in proximity to Captain Cooks and TTC, should we request the south side.

Upvote 0

docdebbi

we also went with a garden view room. we requested niue because it is the only building that there is no chance your garden view will be looking out at a road or a parking lot, we wanted to look at a garden!
i can't tell you how perfect it was for us! we had 2 babies (2 year old and 6 month old), this locale is perfect for anyone with kids. they invariably fell asleep on the way back to the room, and niue is the closest building to the Great Ceremonial House. So whether we were driving our car or taking the monorail, we would enter through GCH, and it was a very short walk carrying heavy sleeping kids! there is also completely covered walkway between great ceremonial house and niue, so even though it rained heavily every day we were there, they didn't get wet and wake up on the way back. being close to GCH also made it easy to get a lunch at capt cook's and bring it back to the room to eat while they napped. and we were lucky enough to get first floor, so we have a lovely little balcony with table and chairs to enjoy this lunch.
the volcano pool is directly outside the room, so real close to pool and there was a grassy area right outside the patio door where the kids could run around a little and play- not to mention the ducks who would come up to our door and entertain the kids.
i vote for nuie, and ask for first floor, facing the pool!

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
we also went with a garden view room. we requested niue because it is the only building that there is no chance your garden view will be looking out at a road or a parking lot, we wanted to look at a garden!
i can't tell you how perfect it was for us! we had 2 babies (2 year old and 6 month old), this locale is perfect for anyone with kids. they invariably fell asleep on the way back to the room, and niue is the closest building to the Great Ceremonial House. So whether we were driving our car or taking the monorail, we would enter through GCH, and it was a very short walk carrying heavy sleeping kids! there is also completely covered walkway between great ceremonial house and niue, so even though it rained heavily every day we were there, they didn't get wet and wake up on the way back. being close to GCH also made it easy to get a lunch at capt cook's and bring it back to the room to eat while they napped. and we were lucky enough to get first floor, so we have a lovely little balcony with table and chairs to enjoy this lunch.
the volcano pool is directly outside the room, so real close to pool and there was a grassy area right outside the patio door where the kids could run around a little and play- not to mention the ducks who would come up to our door and entertain the kids.
i vote for nuie, and ask for first floor, facing the pool!

thank you for the detailed account! I'm glad you had such a wonderful experience! I can't wait to be there in only 183 days!

Upvote 0

stefan74

I am so glad someone started this thread. I will be staying at the Polynesian for the first time when I go for my 40th birthday celebration in 2014.

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

Hello Disneygirl.

We stayed at the Poly in September 2010 for five days at the Fiji longhouse, room 3322 officially garden view it seems if you look at Tikimans page (a must for every one to plans to stay at the Poly) but it was more like lagoon view. The view from our balcony in the third floor was beautiful, we looked over the marina and the volcano with the CR in the background. We could even get a view from the MK and we were in the southernmost room, rooms more to the north should get an even better view.
Big plus at the Fiji is the location, you are only a short walk away from the GCH with the monorail and the restaurants, especially Captain Cooks is less than 2 minutes away.
But if you are on the westside (we were eastside), there is quite some noise from Luau Cove in the evening, you don't really hear it on the eastside but I was told it's quite loud on the westside.

A flaw however was the mousekeeping. It took them three tries to clean our windows properly so they were finally without stains and remove the cobwebs from the balcony. Furniture was looking partially already quite used and had stains from coffee creamer. Absolutely unacceptable at that price level.
It is one of the two oldest WDW resorts and the AC was the loudest we ever experienced at a Disney resort although it was functioning properly.

Despite the minor flaws, we still enjoyed our stay very much and love the Poly.
If you want to see the view from our room, visit my trip album,

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/album.php?albumid=1444&pictureid=19123

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Hello Disneygirl.

We stayed at the Poly in September 2010 for five days at the Fiji longhouse, room 3322 officially garden view it seems if you look at Tikimans page (a must for every one to plans to stay at the Poly) but it was more like lagoon view. The view from our balcony in the third floor was beautiful, we looked over the marina and the volcano with the CR in the background. We could even get a view from the MK and we were in the southernmost room, rooms more to the north should get an even better view.
Big plus at the Fiji is the location, you are only a short walk away from the GCH with the monorail and the restaurants, especially Captain Cooks is less than 2 minutes away.
But if you are on the westside (we were eastside), there is quite some noise from Luau Cove in the evening, you don't really hear it on the eastside but I was told it's quite loud on the westside.

A flaw however was the mousekeeping. It took them three tries to clean our windows properly so they were finally without stains and remove the cobwebs from the balcony. Furniture was looking partially already quite used and had stains from coffee creamer. Absolutely unacceptable at that price level.
It is one of the two oldest WDW resorts and the AC was the loudest we ever experienced at a Disney resort although it was functioning properly.

Despite the minor flaws, we still enjoyed our stay very much and love the Poly.
If you want to see the view from our room, visit my trip album,

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/album.php?albumid=1444&pictureid=19123

Thanks for the info! Although I am excited to stay at the Poly now, I have to say that I have not always been. I always saw it as being dark and old. But after going to dinner and the beach to watch the water pagent, I decided to give it a shot. We have stayed at the YC, GF, WL and now we want to give the Poly a try. The BC is so similar (except in theme) to the YC, and the Boardwalk is right there too, we wanted to give this monorail resort a try. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the imput b/c some of your experiences is what I feared. I want to make the most of our time at the Poly and like you said, for that price, coffee rings are unacceptable. In 2009 at the GF, we got to our room and there was a broken piece of furniture and the bust of mickey lamp had a broken nose. When I called the front desk, they said there were no more rooms and I threw the phone to the bell hop and I ran to the bathroom to cry. Not my proudest moment but I was so upset. We had saved for ages for this 10 day over the top Disney trip. And it was not off to a good start. The GF ended up taking care of it and we did in fact get another room. The bottom line, I want to be as informed as I can about the Poly and know what I am requesting. I don't want to leave it up to them. Thanks again for the insight! :wave:

Upvote 0

dave&di

Our favourite longhouse is Tahiti but this is a lagoon view. We also stayed in Rapa Nui which is garden view, we liked it as it was really close to the TTC but a lot of people don't like it as it's not 'close' to the Ceromonial house, personally a 5 minute walk is not a problem for me!

Upvote 0

worldtraveler

Our favourite longhouse is Tahiti but this is a lagoon view. We also stayed in Rapa Nui which is garden view, we liked it as it was really close to the TTC but a lot of people don't like it as it's not 'close' to the Ceromonial house, personally a 5 minute walk is not a problem for me!

I stayed at the Poly for the first time in November of 2010. We stayed in the Tahiti building as well, and it was great. I really enjoyed the walk to and from the great ceremonial house when needed, but usually walked to the TTC whenever I was going to a park. In fact, for our next trip this coming November the whole group wants to stay in Tahiti again. At first I wanted closest to the Great Ceremonial House, I only want Tahiti. We even got moved to theme park view at check in without the extra fee. Awesome room. Good luck deciding!

Upvote 0

dave&di

I stayed at the Poly for the first time in November of 2010. We stayed in the Tahiti building as well, and it was great. I really enjoyed the walk to and from the great ceremonial house when needed, but usually walked to the TTC whenever I was going to a park. In fact, for our next trip this coming November the whole group wants to stay in Tahiti again. At first I wanted closest to the Great Ceremonial House, I only want Tahiti. We even got moved to theme park view at check in without the extra fee. Awesome room. Good luck deciding!

I loved Tahiti! We also had theme park view (but not free! :() Amazing! We never used the resort transport as the TTC was closer! We also loved the walk to the Ceremonial house, it's lovely!

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

I spent my 40th at POLY in Fiji. We had a lagoon view/marina. The room was large and very clean. It was close to GCH, Ohanas, monorail, everything you could want. And even if you were on the other side of the building, you had a monorail view and night time lighting of the Spirit of Aloha, which was quite cool, you could even here the show if you were outside, I only know this because we would go out to the stairs balcony and listen to it. All in all, the room was great, location was awesome, and the view of the marina was pretty neat. Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
So Tahiti is not a garden view room but you can either hope for an upgrade or pay for one to a theme park/lagoon view? We contemplated paying for a view but we don't really want to spend the extra funds since we might be at the resort quite a bit, but not necessarily in the room. We would like to be close to the GCH and the pools too but we don't want the noise from the pools/bars at night. Of course, I don't know if that is much of an issue at the Poly. Thanks everyone! Keep the tips coming! They are really helpful! :wave:

Upvote 0

dave&di

So Tahiti is not a garden view room but you can either hope for an upgrade or pay for one to a theme park/lagoon view? We contemplated paying for a view but we don't really want to spend the extra funds since we might be at the resort quite a bit, but not necessarily in the room. We would like to be close to the GCH and the pools too but we don't want the noise from the pools/bars at night. Of course, I don't know if that is much of an issue at the Poly. Thanks everyone! Keep the tips coming! They are really helpful! :wave:

No garden view at Tahiti, you get Lagoon view or Theme Park view which costs more than a Garden view.

Upvote 0

Polydweller

No garden view at Tahiti, you get Lagoon view or Theme Park view which costs more than a Garden view.

Not at all true. The south side of Tahiti building is all garden view. No room on that side can see or even glimpse the lagoon. On the north side all rooms are either lagoon or theme park view. Stayed there a few times over the 21 years at the Poly. So yes you can get garden view, about half the rooms, at Tahiti.

My suggestion for longhouse garden view is always Tokelau. It is one of the 4 newer longhouses which means larger rooms and patio or balcony on all floors, most buildings do not have 2nd floor balconies. It is also more central than it looks. It is about 3 minutes from the GHC and 3-4 from the TTC. Luau cove is about 5. And yes I've measured that with a GPS. My favorite garden view without doubt.

Upvote 0

dave&di

Not at all true. The south side of Tahiti building is all garden view. No room on that side can see or even glimpse the lagoon. On the north side all rooms are either lagoon or theme park view. Stayed there a few times over the 21 years at the Poly. So yes you can get garden view, about half the rooms, at Tahiti.

My suggestion for longhouse garden view is always Tokelau. It is one of the 4 newer longhouses which means larger rooms and patio or balcony on all floors, most buildings do not have 2nd floor balconies. It is also more central than it looks. It is about 3 minutes from the GHC and 3-4 from the TTC. Luau cove is about 5. And yes I've measured that with a GPS. My favorite garden view without doubt.

I'm sorry for some reason I was only thinking of one side of the building! No big deal, no ones perfect! :p

Upvote 0

Slowjack

Another vote here for Tokalau. It's almost equidistant from the Great Ceremonial House (with the MK monorail) and the TTC for the journey to Epcot. Our rooms faced the quiet pool, which was indeed quiet.

Let me also say that I think the Poly is a great resort overall. I'd always wanted to stay there ever since I was a boy, but my wife had many of the same fears you expressed--that it be old, dark, "Brady Bunch," etc. With the help of photos from the Tikiman site (thank you, sir!) I was able to convince her and after our trip she became a fan. The spread-out longhouses give the Poly a unique feel. It's the most relaxing of the resorts we've stayed in, although the quick-service food place is a bit undersized for the volume. The easy access to both MK and Epcot can't be beat. It may not become your new favorite resort, but I think you'll be glad you gave it a try.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster

Thanks for the info! Does the Tahiti South side have balconies?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom