Temporary Further Reduction of Monorail Hours

zulemara

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
On Friday there were research CMs counting the number of people on the ferryboats as well as both monorail loops at MK. After some investigation, I found out that for a period of time(I'm trying to get dates) monorails will not be running from 11-18:30 on a daily basis. During that time, additional bus transportation will be available. I can also theorize that a third ferryboat will be in operation during that time, but that is my speculation, not fact.

The reason for the change is for the DVC construction at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort minus Spa. They apparently need to operate a crane and can't do so with the monorails running. However, since they have to be down for construction, Disney is taking the opportunity to do some work on the electrical systems of the monorail during that time frame.

i'll update when I get dates, or maybe someone else has them.

DonaldDoleWhip

Assuming this is actually going to happen pretty soon, I'm glad we booked our next stay at an Epcot resort for significantly less than GF/Poly would have cost. :)

DonaldDoleWhip

yes MK loops only

Not trying to start controversy, just want people to be informed
Thank you - that's very nice of you. I really appreciate knowing what's going on with the monorail, not only because it currently makes us feel better about choosing other resorts, but also (when these various things are sorted out) we'll feel happier returning to a monorail resort again. :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
On Friday there were research CMs counting the number of people on the ferryboats as well as both monorail loops at MK. After some investigation, I found out that for a period of time(I'm trying to get dates) monorails will not be running from 11-18:30 on a daily basis. During that time, additional bus transportation will be available. I can also theorize that a third ferryboat will be in operation during that time, but that is my speculation, not fact.

The reason for the change is for the DVC construction at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort minus Spa. They apparently need to operate a crane and can't do so with the monorails running. However, since they have to be down for construction, Disney is taking the opportunity to do some work on the electrical systems of the monorail during that time frame.

i'll update when I get dates, or maybe someone else has them.

Interesting info, thanks. I was wondering if that construction would have any monorail operating impacts.

Pioneer Hall

I hope that if they do indeed do this (which it sounds like they might not have a choice) that they provide direct buses from the resorts to Epcot. It would really be a pain to have to bus to the TTC and then head to the monorail.

Rasvar

That does make sense. I know there is the option of single monorail running a partial loop like they did for the Contemporary monorail modifications back in 1988. But it seems like it might be more headache than it is worth. In the old days, you could just run parking lot trams between the TTC and MK but that roadway section between TTC and MK is just too busy to be running trams on now. I guess more launches between Poly and GF to MK will be in service at any one time. But bus service will have to be provided since those launches don't work for wheelchairs and scooters.

The one thing I have to wonder is how long the crane operation will go on? This sounds like it would have to be over a period of months.

zulemara

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
That does make sense. I know there is the option of single monorail running a partial loop like they did for the Contemporary monorail modifications back in 1988. But it seems like it might be more headache than it is worth. In the old days, you could just run parking lot trams between the TTC and MK but that roadway section between TTC and MK is just too busy to be running trams on now. I guess more launches between Poly and GF to MK will be in service at any one time. But bus service will have to be provided since those launches don't work for wheelchairs and scooters.

The one thing I have to wonder is how long the crane operation will go on? This sounds like it would have to be over a period of months.

They can pull a cruiser to the gold route which accommodates ECVs and has higher capacity, but that means the green route ends up suffering reduced capacity. I suspect most of the time they will just send as many people as possible to buses

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Reason #1 disney just purchased 16 of these:

LFS Arctic

I saw many of those (without any Disney signage on them) driving around last weekend. I also spent some time talking to a transport coordinator who was talking about how much Disney has recently contracted extra busses and drivers through other companies. One night at MK closing they had many of these outsourced drivers coming and going in buses that essentially looked like Disney ones except they were all white and had fabric seats.

StageFrenzy

Shouldn't this have been considered before the plans were finalized?

Probably different departments.

Construction: closures will not be necessary...

One month later

Construction: yeah we are going to need to shut down the monorail.

Transportation: Whut!?1?1?!!!

Construction: sorry

Transportation: Good thing we have all those bus contracts because the monorails might crap out any day now.

zulemara

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
idk how far in advance transportation knew about this, but at least they are using researchers to get an idea of numbers to properly plan for the outages. That's better than one day being told they have to shut down monorails with no prep work being done. I think they're doing this as well planned out as they can.

Jakester

I can take these restrictions (Since they are construction related), But its still a shame they won't run their full schedule.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom